Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Free range hens in winter?  (Read 6380 times)

Victorian Farmer

Re: Free range hens in winter?
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2013, 11:18:05 am »
The problem is we dint no Whit wether we will have iv had hens live in minus 20 for 3 weeks iv also had to dig out all day Christmas day.The thing they Carnot handle is sleet they get wet in the afternoon then be fore dark it freezes then that's it they die iv learnt to use light to sort lights come on 3.30 in the afternoon feed heavily they work hard then they perch lights out. A long cold spell feed warm food porridge with old honey in etc. When 2010 winter  came it was in late November  the hardiest time iv ever had i made my mind up i new it was going to be the coldist for a 100 ya res that the stock was not going to die. Get the pens sorted beg borrow Whit ever it takes keep them safe. Dint think youv cove rd every think in march i new we would get a cold week and i new it would be over soon that week end. The next week was the first lamb sale the snow came Friday night it was heavey just over a foot by 10 o clock the wind was force 10 i then tho rt we was in trouble i went to go out to check it was very bad at that time.,then the paw er went of the mobile went all stock under lamps will die if paw er is not back on. I went in the big shed chicks getting cold lit the wood burner that sorted that then went to bed.In the morning i could not get out to the fields 10 foot drifts spent 4 days looking for the young lambs out of 60 we lost 50 due to the fact that we could not find them. So remember we dint no whits in front of  us the paw er was of for 4 days that next week no lambs for the sale. A lot of stock was lost chicks lambs horses caws is was a very bad event march 2013 and it wasent a cold winter. So whot went wrong.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 11:27:15 am by Victorian Farmer »

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS