Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Our swallows?  (Read 19724 times)

ZaktheLad

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Thornbury, Nr Bristol
Re: Our swallows?
« Reply #30 on: September 30, 2013, 12:34:16 pm »
I wonder if they would survive here for a winter if it was a relatively warm one?  I know the last few winters we have had midges/small flies around for most of the winter and so perhaps any remaining swallows could survive on them? 

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #31 on: September 30, 2013, 12:49:54 pm »
Interesting question.  Has anyone had overwintering swallows? 

I'm sure they would not survive here as we can be cut off for several days under several feet of snow, blizzards, high winds, torrential rain, and the swallows would need to eat every day, but I had wondered if they might stop off in Europe or North Africa and not try to do the whole journey this year.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #32 on: September 30, 2013, 12:58:52 pm »
None around the buildings now but last night I saw 3 circling high over the field where I had a bonfire - loads of insects around as it is still very warm.- and maybe the heat from the fire drove them upwards?
If they stay long in parts of Europe they'll be shot  :( .

ZaktheLad

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Thornbury, Nr Bristol

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #34 on: October 01, 2013, 11:38:42 am »
This is quite interesting... http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1115442/Meet-Rambo--tough-little-swallow-forgot-fly-South-winter.html

Yes that is interesting  8)    You can see though how natural selection makes sure that the migrating instinct survives and the 'oh I can't be bothered with a holiday this year; think I'll just stay here' attitude quickly dies out.
Unfortunately the winter temps here can drop to -20C, so ours will need to fly at least partway south.

<<<If they stay long in parts of Europe they'll be shot  :( .>>>
Isn't that horrible Bramblecot  :o   Whatever do they find to eat on a swallow?  Or is it just for fun?  I always wondered how many larks were used to make a larks tongue pie for some rich Victorian to gobble up  :rant:

Last night our single remaining swallow was flying around with three others, so it looks as if the tailenders have decided to get together here.  Still no northerly wind forecast.

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #35 on: October 01, 2013, 06:08:36 pm »
'Whatever do they find to eat on a swallow?  Or is it just for fun? '

Probably just for fun :( .  Years ago I remember a great uncle saying they used to net sparrows on the farm to make a casserole :P . He said it is surprising what you will eat if you are starving.  We have all got a bit soft (thank goodness).  And I remember seeing blackbird pate on the menu in a french restaurant (in England).
Bit off topic, babbling on, sorry ::) .

Victorian Farmer

« Reply #36 on: October 01, 2013, 06:29:39 pm »
Flecewife I think the cold will be here 15 th October been good so far next week end looks ok .Did look for you on saterday iv got a list with folk I would love to meet .

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #37 on: October 07, 2013, 12:04:28 pm »
Hi VF.  Some one told me you were looking for me, and I'm sorry we didn't meet up.  I was mostly with my sheep or taking a high speed look at everything else.  I never did get near the poultry though, or even the goats  :(      I was wearing my TAS Tshirt, but mostly under the white coat.        Next year  :thumbsup:

Well, my last lonely swallow finally left a couple of days ago.  He went in a north-westerly, but hopefully the forecast northerlies will get him across the channel.

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #38 on: October 07, 2013, 12:21:49 pm »
All our swallows have gone now. It makes my little girl really sad when they are all lined up waiting for the off. She actually sheds a little  :'( .

She is waiting to see her first swallow of spring already.  ;D

ZaktheLad

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Thornbury, Nr Bristol
« Reply #39 on: October 07, 2013, 12:23:09 pm »
Yesterday I noticed just how many pied wagtails we have around - I think these must all be from the breeding pair that nested in our shed this year.  I was concerned that they would be like the swallows but on reading the RSPB website, I see that pied wagtails are actually resident in most parts of the UK all year. Phew, that will give me one less thing to worry about where the wildlife is concerned.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #40 on: October 07, 2013, 12:43:39 pm »
We find that the Pied Wagtails try hard to have their broods before the swallows arrive, as for some reason the two species fight.  I have often seen swallows dive bombing young wagtails if they sit on the roof.

A couple of days ago we had our first ever grey wagtail (which is yellow  ::) ), but only one.  It came to explore our new(ish) pond  :thumbsup:

We haven't seen a wren here for three years now  :(

ZaktheLad

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Thornbury, Nr Bristol
« Reply #41 on: October 07, 2013, 01:02:29 pm »
Our little wren seems to have disappeared this year too - she always nested in the garage but not this year  :( 

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
« Reply #42 on: October 14, 2013, 02:57:51 pm »
We have always had wrens here and have seen as many as 10 wintering in the nest above the tack room door. We have not seen one for a few months now though
Graham

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #43 on: October 14, 2013, 07:08:51 pm »
I have not seen any all summer ??? . There's a north wind today but it is still warm and sunny.  I saw just a few swallows high over the fields - probably the last for this year.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS