Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Our swallows?  (Read 19720 times)

spandit

• Joined Mar 2013
  • East Sussex
    • Sussex Forest Garden
Re: Our swallows?
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2013, 01:14:00 pm »
Here are ours...

Loads of them on the telegraph wires too
sussexforestgarden.blogspot.co.uk

Pedwardine

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Lincolnshire
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2013, 10:12:54 pm »
Noticed just yesterday that our swallows have gone. They've been gathering and chitterchattering on the roofline for ages and then suddenly I realised they weren't there anymore. Feels a bit empty without them. I think they always look like they've got white shirts and dinner jackets on. Nature should've designed them with a bow tie too  ;D

Talking out of my arse. They're back on the roof this avo. Hurrah!
« Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 10:21:52 pm by Pedwardine »

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2013, 07:38:29 pm »
The last four swallow chicks have taken their first flights today :excited: and come back home this evening.  Will they make south?  Luckily the weather has stayed warm for them but there were hundreds of swallows flying over the fields this week on their long journey.

Roll on next summer :D

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2013, 08:28:42 pm »
We still have chicks in one nest, not big enough to hang over the edge yet  :(   In past years the last lot have been left behind by the parents, then have set off a couple of weeks later, but I do wonder if such babies can make it the whole way.

We thought our main flock had left, even though it's a bit early for here (they usually go in the middle of Sept) but my OH spotted them joining a big gather up the hill, so they're psyching themselves up for the holidays but haven't gone yet.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2013, 09:10:48 pm »
Lovely description earlier on in the post Fleecewife - just like here - get a bit miffed then I get the goats out and have to brush swallow poo off them but on the other hand to see the youngsters grow up, win over the outside cat and fly of - you have to admire them. My mum always notes in her diary when they arrive and depart - I grew up with that - I'm not so organised!! Most of the one's here have left but we still have 2 chicks from the last hatch in the goat shed tonight.
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

ZaktheLad

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Thornbury, Nr Bristol
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2013, 07:51:34 am »
Ours have all gone too - it's strange how you get so used to them flying and swooping about that it takes a while to realise that they have suddenly all disappeared to a warmer climate!  I always feel a bit sad when they go as really love listening to their chit chat when they are sat on the telephone wires above our paddocks.  Already looking forward to seeing them arrive back next Spring and I really hope they all have a good flight back home for the winter and that the youngsters make it safely.

spandit

• Joined Mar 2013
  • East Sussex
    • Sussex Forest Garden
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2013, 07:47:06 pm »
The weather turned cold as soon as they left :(
sussexforestgarden.blogspot.co.uk

Simon O

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Bonkle
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2013, 10:08:52 pm »
Here's ours as babies, and then bigger:

ZaktheLad

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Thornbury, Nr Bristol
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2013, 07:28:22 am »
Lovely photos  :thumbsup:  :love:

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2013, 07:34:28 pm »
Well, I thought they had all gone :(
But right now (19.30) there are dozens swooping around the house like aerial acrobats.  It is nearly dark but I think they have been on a feeding frenzy - maybe a last fill up before the flight across the Channel to the  :sunshine: .  Goodbye lovelies :-* :wave:

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2013, 07:55:52 pm »
we had loads on our roof this afternoon. where do they go?

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2013, 09:15:58 pm »
I thought mine had gone a week ago only to feed the goats tonight and one lonley wee sole still about - don't fancy his/her chances but maybe they know best  :fc:

Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2013, 01:54:33 am »
we had loads on our roof this afternoon. where do they go?

As far as I understand it, they fly down through England to the south coast, stopping on the way to sleep, cross the channel, down France and Spain then cross at Gibralter to N Africa.  They then make their way right down through Africa, again stopping to roost, until they get to S Africa.  I don't think they all get that far.  Then they congregate in great flocks in reed beds etc, quite unlike how they live here when they're breeding.  They go down there for our winter as we run out of insects here but there's a huge insect-fest in Africa for their summer so they get fat then fly back here to breed again.

Our last little nestful of three chicks have still not fledged  :(   I think there are so few insects left, and maybe only one parent, that they are not getting enough to eat to reach fledging size.  They are hanging out of the nest now so fingers crossed for them  :fc:

devonlad

• Joined Nov 2012
  • Nr Crediton in Devon
« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2013, 11:03:00 am »
haven't seen ours for a few days so I guess they know something and have headed south. sadly missed but I'm sure they'll be back . its getting towards starling time now- not quite the same as a swooping swallow but a "murmur's" not bad compensation.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #29 on: September 30, 2013, 12:30:57 pm »
Would you believe that today, the last day of September, there are still two swallows here?  One is definitely a youngster from the last late fledging nest who we thought had been left on his own when his fellow nestlings went over a week ago, but last night we saw him swooping around with a pal.  For the next week the winds are mainly southerly so I doubt they'll set off then as they really need a northerly wind to help them on their way.
Not sure who the second swallow is - maybe another late one from further north.
At least there are plenty of flies around now it's warmer again, so I'm more hopeful that they will survive the journey, if only the wind would turn.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS