Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Chicken Books Aint' Worth...Poo!  (Read 3314 times)

Wellieboots

Chicken Books Aint' Worth...Poo!
« on: August 05, 2009, 12:32:57 pm »
Just a little observation, I was bored out of miny tiny mind in Dobies the other day whilst the "uber controller" was off looking at non-edible plants (nae interest there I'm afraid!) so I found myself in the happy company of a load of "Lochs & Glens" OAP holiday folks that had stopped for a wee wander. Anyhoo, shuffling through the books for sale I come across a little one by some wifie on "starting out with chickens". So, as the proud owner of far too many chooks I had a wee peruse & came across a section on hybrids.

Now being a black rock kinda guy (it goes with my metal music leanings!) I headed straight for that page. Thankfully, due to the presence of a bus load of the afore mentioned lochs & glens folks I was well supported during my near fainting experience due to reading in said book that broodieness had been bred out of black rocks!

Upon regaining composure & the power of speech I was nearly evicted from Dobies(can you imagine the shame) due to the choice of some "choice" words found in the more isalubrious pages of the Oxford English Dictionary.

Currently I have 1 BR sulking in the broody cage, I since shuffled off its mortal coil due to the whole broodieness thing being too much to cope with & one just started to give it the 'ol hackles rising" thang when approached near the nest box.

b*****ks to the books - nuff said! ;D

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: Chicken Books Aint' Worth...Poo!
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2009, 01:22:55 pm »
We've certainly had broody Black Rocks - in fact we have one rearing chicks now.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2009, 03:26:38 pm »

Oooh goody! I quite fancy being a Granddad!  ;D
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Wellieboots

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2009, 06:28:10 pm »
Just noticed that due to my clockwork keyboard the last paragraph in my rant reads like I did away with "broody 2 shoes". Not the case, it was meant to read "it since shuffled...etc" one minute fine, next morning, open arc & its "sleeping" in the nest box.

Oh & its not the first book I've looked at that tries to say that BR's have had their broodieness bred out of them.

Big pile of future plant food I say! ::)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2009, 07:56:47 pm »

Oooh goody! I quite fancy being a Granddad!  ;D

You're FAR too young! ;D ;D ;D
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

sandy

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2009, 08:34:45 am »
My Black Rocks are not very Heavy metal lifestyle birds, ::) they wounder off to bed very early while the Ex  batts are burning the midnight oil and partying until it's really dark ;D

BlackRocks

• Joined Jul 2009
  • Wokingham, Near Reading, Berkshire
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2009, 08:55:01 pm »
Yep I've got 4 Black Rocks and already had one go broody and not that long after starting to lay!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS