Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: sudden deaths  (Read 3686 times)

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
sudden deaths
« on: August 03, 2009, 04:35:36 pm »
any idea what could be killing chicks aged 6-12 weeks they are in a secure pen. the seem fine one day the next they are dead we just have had our third. 2 chickens and a turkey. this is becoming a bad week.

Cluckinggoodpoultry

• Joined Mar 2009
Re: sudden deaths
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2009, 04:47:01 pm »
Any chance of coccidiosis (sp) very sudden deaths, start of lethargic then next few hours death, turkeys are a nightmare to rear until 7 weeks anyway, but still doesn't make their deaths any easier  :)

Can see blood in the faeces if coccidiosis, this is easily treated with coxoid in the drinking water for a few days. Need to give me a few more details of your pen and some symptoms if any, if it is anything like us the changeable weather is having an effect and the daft poults sit out in all weathers, have to put them in every time it rains.

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2009, 05:55:35 pm »
no blood its killing both turkeys and hens. one turkey has a cough. could it be crd. ive got 100+ hens i really dont want them all dying. i have spoken to the vet but he will phone in the morning. i caught something like a stable fly on one of them but i guess thats just a passing bug. they were moved out last week to join some slightly older ones. the coop is not fancy but it is weather tight. the victims so far are a legbar a turkey and a dorking. tying in this with gulls and injuries im getting very down with the rate of deaths. the old red hens and there chucks seem to sail through the more pure bred seem like everthing wants them dead.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2009, 09:17:54 pm »
It's maybe like shutting the door after but can you separate them, you might save most of them that way.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

lisam

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2009, 10:26:57 pm »
I have had exactly the same happen to me over the last few weeks!!  Decided to take one to the vet for a post mortem as it was getting rediculous and didnt want to lose them all!  The vet found coxidosis which we are now treating for.  Wish i had treated them earlier but such is life!!  Hope you find what it is.  Good luck

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2009, 01:32:03 pm »
im treating the chicks with an antibiotic in there drink for the the risk of crd and treating the chicks also for  coccidiosis via a dose in there mouths. the vet was not sure what was going on but it does look like two bugs at the same time. one chick had a horrible dischard from its nose and a mattered eye this morning so hopefully the antibiotic should work. still cant complain enough medicine to treat twenty birds for the course of there treatment for just over £10. The vet said there was little point in treating with the vaccine because they are freerange

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS