Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Can you use frozen pork to make a ham?  (Read 12116 times)

Margo

• Joined Aug 2009
Can you use frozen pork to make a ham?
« on: August 03, 2009, 11:21:48 am »
Hello everyone,

I'm a newbie so please be gentle with me  :) 

I have only produced my own ham once - last Christmas, and I was really pleased with the result.  Our pig has gone off to the abattoir today and I would really like to have another go at the Ham production bit, however, rather concerned that it's too hot outside to hang the ham in the garage, so thought I may freeze the joint and then defrost and brine at a later date. Does anyone know if this could be done or am I just being daft?   Any advise would be really appreciated.

Thank you  :)

HappyHippy

Re: Can you use frozen pork to make a ham?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2009, 03:10:31 pm »
I believe that it's got to be fresh, freezing does something to the structure of the meat I think.

Margo

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2009, 03:22:41 pm »
Ah, thank you Happy.  I had a terrible feeling that was the case.  Shame because I wanted to do it for Christmas again especially as she was our pig so I know what she had eaten etc.  Hey ho,  I guess we'll just have to have an early Crimbo  ;D

Thanks for your response.

Margo

BadgerFace

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Sussex
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2009, 03:27:06 pm »
I've made ham using frozen pork. Didn't have time on 'the day' so popped the leg in the freezer until I was ready. I used a molasses and beer cure & put the still frozen leg in the chilled cure. The ham tasted perfectly fine - very nice in fact and had that lovely black rind that you find on the Suffolk cured hams  :pig: :yum:

ETA - I've never air cured a frozen leg, no idea if that would be ok ?
Breeder of Pedigree Torddu Badger Face Welsh Mountain Sheep & Anglo Nubian Goats

kp

• Joined Mar 2009
  • near whitby noth yorkshire
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2009, 09:44:19 pm »
I know someone who makes ham from frozen pork for the same reason that its too warm at this time of year, I asked the same question about making bacon in the pig section and Hilarysmum (who knows all there is to know about pigs and pork) told me that it was fine to make it from frozen meat.
Karen

HappyHippy

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2009, 09:33:17 am »

Each time meat is processed, it is freezable again - especially as when making sausages you usually add a preservative in the processing.

I've got to disagree with this I'm afraid - from my food handling experience (and that of my Dad and brother, who are both chefs) raw meat can be frozen, but once it's been defrosted, you've got to cook it before freezing again and as long as you reheat it properly it'll be ok.
Maybe others will disagree, but this is how I've always handled raw meat.
Karen

HappyHippy

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2009, 01:21:10 pm »
Sorry Julie,
I did get the wrong end of the stick, thanks for clarifying that. It'll come in handy to know next time I'm getting my piggies back from the butcher  ;)

Apparently a lot of chefs cannot have children because of the high temperatures they work in - standing in front of hot ovens, grills and rings all day - their sperm count is very low to have children.
This I didn't know - I'm sure my Dad'll be amused, he's got 4 of us !  ;D  ;D  ;D
My brother might be worried though - he's just getting to that stage !  ;)
Karen  :pig:

Tullywood Farm

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2009, 10:44:11 am »
 ;D ;D ;D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS