Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Had a good wander round the new place  (Read 7172 times)

Victorian Farmer

Re: Had a good wander round the new place
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2013, 10:37:34 am »
As it got a well or bore hole for water the ground looks ok. Have a nice time in youre new place work hard and the money will come.

spandit

• Joined Mar 2013
  • East Sussex
    • Sussex Forest Garden
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2013, 10:51:23 am »
As it got a well or bore hole for water the ground looks ok. Have a nice time in youre new place work hard and the money will come.

There's a well, desperate to find out how deep it is! The photo I added is of the bottom paddock, the top paddock is more sloped and poorly drained. I'm planning on digging a lake in the bottom paddock and draining the top paddock into it.

We're very fortunate that we don't have to earn a living from the land to pay the mortgage but hopefully we can earn a few pennies in due course
sussexforestgarden.blogspot.co.uk

Victorian Farmer

« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2013, 11:21:47 am »
We made a big lake out of sleepers and slabs the bottom was 4ft deep and as big as a house plot we crossed the sleepers and back filled  with stone and concrete it still looks good. Yes if you can grow you re food would help to start things of

spandit

• Joined Mar 2013
  • East Sussex
    • Sussex Forest Garden
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2013, 03:06:32 pm »
Already got a shepherd lined up to put some sheep in. Going to get chickens soon afterwards, although all this talk of red mites is putting me off a bit!

Vegetables already planned and hoping fruit harvest should be good this year. Plums and pears not quite ready but apples didn't look far off.

Wife is buying me a medlar tree for our anniversary - it's "wood" so quite fitting

Victorian Farmer

« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2013, 05:18:34 pm »
good start having a shepherd lined up sheep  breed and yes you must get some rare breed hens red mite will soon get jack frost to sort .

spandit

• Joined Mar 2013
  • East Sussex
    • Sussex Forest Garden
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2013, 06:25:05 pm »
We're going to start with rescue hens, not sure where the money for a henhouse is coming, though...

Victorian Farmer

« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2013, 06:37:14 pm »
if i was nere i would give you some hens to get you to help me to  in prove some stock and a pen would be no bother iv got 5 folk like this 6 hens and a cock bird and rotate the cocks round .

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2013, 06:59:23 pm »
We're going to start with rescue hens, not sure where the money for a henhouse is coming, though...
Good luck  :fc: with your move :excited: .  Don't worry about a fancy hen house  at first - just get a small shed and convert it.  the  :chook: :chook: (esp rescue ones) will be perfectly happy.  The neighbours could not believe the old crap that moved with us - had to build a barn to house it all :roflanim: :roflanim: .

spandit

• Joined Mar 2013
  • East Sussex
    • Sussex Forest Garden
Re: Had a good wander round the new place - stress!!
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2013, 10:17:16 am »
Had a very stressful few minutes this morning. Was waiting for an invoice from the solicitors that should have been in the region of £85,000 (which we had in our account). It came through as over £113,000, which we didn't!! By scrabbling around all our accounts we realised that we could just about afford to pay that amount, although it would mean paying the movers etc. on credit cards (and the estate agents would just have to wait...) - left doubt as to whether we'd have enough to pay the initial mortgage though...

Fortunately, the useless tit of a solicitor sent through the right amount a little while later and I've just come back from the bank having arranged a CHAPS transfer...  :sunshine:

Now significantly poorer than I was last night, but on Friday it should all be worth it  :fc: :thumbsup:

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2013, 01:25:27 pm »
 :relief: :relief: :relief: ........not sure I could scrape that much up but it certainly appears a tense time! :fc:

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2013, 09:02:33 pm »
I would have been having kittens. Glad it was sorted out.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS