Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Had a good wander round the new place  (Read 7173 times)

spandit

• Joined Mar 2013
  • East Sussex
    • Sussex Forest Garden
Had a good wander round the new place
« on: August 16, 2013, 04:30:56 pm »
The owner of the place we are buying has very kindly let us move some stuff into the outbuildings so I helped my father-in-law move some bits from his shed. It's mostly scrap timber so not of great value to would be thieves.

Anyway, she had expressed an interest in meeting the dogs so I took them round. After a few minutes, where she expressed her delight at them, we let her get back to work and headed up into the 10 acres of paddocks that come with the property.

It's certainly going to keep us busy - very boggy and lots of different species aside from grass. It's been recently topped but there is a load of bracken already and a fair amount of dock coming up too. Plenty of young brambles are creeping out from the hedgerows too although they'll have to compete with the rushes that frankly dominate. The owner did admit the land could do with better drainage. I'm planning on getting someone in to dig the ditches out but I'll be planting a lot of willow and alder which should thrive there. In the years to come, I'd like to divert the ditches into a lake as there's already a patch of standing water. I'll dig this out a bit once we move in to see if it fills up before investing in some heavy machinery to excavate several thousand tonnes of soil!

Pleased to note the new oak trees that have self seeded. I'll put some guards around these, I think to stop them getting eaten/mown down. A few new birch coming up too but it's mainly grey willow around the edges, but with some nice oak standards and large birch.

Dogs were like pigs in poo, diving into the undergrowth. Lots of rabbit burrows to sniff so they'll need some management. Molehills aplenty abound but we won't be cropping hay so not too worried. At least the soil looks good (to my untrained eye!)

Can't wait to move in for real in a fortnight!!
sussexforestgarden.blogspot.co.uk

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
Re: Had a good wander round the new place
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2013, 04:58:04 pm »
 :thumbsup: Sounds that you will  be kept very busy and out of trouble for a few years...... :thumbsup:

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2013, 05:12:22 pm »
Sounds like it going to keep you busy. Good luck with the move
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

john and helen

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Devon
  • WARNING,,,MAY SAY WHAT HE BELIEVES
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2013, 06:07:55 pm »
sounds superb,  :thumbsup:

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2013, 06:56:18 pm »
Great, you are almost there  :thumbsup: a few photos of the  almost-your-place so I can have smallholding envy ASAP please    :eyelashes:

spandit

• Joined Mar 2013
  • East Sussex
    • Sussex Forest Garden
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2013, 08:27:47 pm »
Great, you are almost there  :thumbsup: a few photos of the  almost-your-place so I can have smallholding envy ASAP please    :eyelashes:

That's the house on the left and my playroom on the right! :D

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2013, 10:23:54 pm »
 Why oh why did I ask for piccies. Suffering total smallholding envy now   :huff:

That place looks absolutely perfect. I wish you the best of luck in your exciting new venture  :excited: keep us informed as you progress ( with more envious piccies of course  :eyelashes: )
 First you get through the longest fortnight ever.
 next step - the keys   :sunshine:

spandit

• Joined Mar 2013
  • East Sussex
    • Sussex Forest Garden
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2013, 08:53:45 am »
Next step is moving a lot of stuff. We're moving two households in but fortunately the owner is letting us fill the outbuildings. Feel a bit guilty we're kicking her out of her home of 16 years but my in-laws have been in their place 38 so that'll be a wrench too...

It is pretty perfect. No running water, though and you can't see the sea but it's rural without being remote and the house is big enough without being cavernous. The barn is too small for all our crap :D

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2013, 01:20:14 pm »
Looks great.  You will have a wonderful time.  Enjoy  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2013, 03:59:04 pm »
For a BIG playroom like that your going to need some BIG TOYS :innocent:  fantastic...I am excited for you :thumbsup:

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2013, 06:29:23 pm »
All very exciting stuff.  :thumbsup:

spandit

• Joined Mar 2013
  • East Sussex
    • Sussex Forest Garden
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2013, 12:33:02 am »
For a BIG playroom like that your going to need some BIG TOYS :innocent:  fantastic...I am excited for you :thumbsup:

Unfortunately the BIG price tag has put the damper on my planned expenditure... for now!

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2013, 01:46:21 pm »
Oh dear, well you can have a wish list and do some cosmic ordering......otherwise, you could have one hell of a party in the huge barn :thumbsup:

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2013, 10:44:22 pm »
Spandit, that looks lovely. So  :excited: for you.

spandit

• Joined Mar 2013
  • East Sussex
    • Sussex Forest Garden
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2013, 08:38:24 am »
Only 10 days to go!  :fc:

We were moving a load of stuff up there but think the vendor started getting a little annoyed with the amount so taking a break from it now. Garage piled high with boxes...

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS