Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What Laptop  (Read 14069 times)

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
Re: What Laptop
« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2013, 03:20:48 pm »
A friend has come round and he did some googling and came up with this one

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/toshiba-satellite-u840w-10j-14-4-cinematic-ultrabook-silver-black-17056575-pdt.html#longDesc

He is going to take me into PC world and ask if they will put windows 7 on it.  But apparently the new windows 8 is much improved

Also he is going to transfer my data from the old PC

The screen isnt as big as I had intended, but it is fairly light and it has that zoom thing which makes everything on the screen bigger, like on an ipad

It looks a pretty good price especially with cash back deal, so unless anyone has had bad experiences all being well I might go for that one?
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #31 on: August 15, 2013, 03:29:10 pm »
looks good( I nearly chose a Toshiba for my daughter) - up to 9 hrs battery sound superb! enjoy  :&>

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #32 on: August 15, 2013, 03:32:38 pm »
9hrs battery assumes you use the SSD properly

looks good, the terms and conditions of the cashback deal are very strict so pay attention...

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #33 on: August 15, 2013, 05:35:04 pm »
And if it goes wrong when you are in Scotland my son is a qualified Tosh engineer. :excited:
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
« Reply #34 on: August 15, 2013, 06:51:59 pm »
Sounding good - unless anyone comes up with some horrible negatives it looks like this might be the one :thumbsup:

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
« Reply #35 on: August 24, 2013, 11:48:11 am »
Went to Hereford currys but there was very little there to see, and not the one I had gone for and of course no sensible help from the staff.

Went back home and on my very slow pc came up with this one

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/samsung-series-3-np370r5e-15-6-laptop-white-21487169-pdt.html?intcmpid=display~RR~Computing~21487169#longDesc

But now said friend is suggesting this one

SONY VAIO FIT 15” for £799 with Microsoft Office free. It is one of the new models with touch screen model number SV15A1M2es.  Which he says is better because it has a higher definition screen and also is a touch screen.  Really windows 8 seems the only option now and he says if you are running that you might as well have the benefits of a touch screen

Any thoughts anyone
« Last Edit: August 24, 2013, 12:54:04 pm by darkbrowneggs »

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #36 on: August 24, 2013, 12:25:04 pm »
Not sure about specs of any computer, but I find all the big chain shops are there to sell you a certain one, they do not usually give advice other than buy the one they are promoting, although I suppose some staff are knowledgeable, its best to do what you are doing, do the research on the net and ask people, if you know any comp boffs that's a bonus, we have a few in my family so I rely on them, my eldest daughter, my brother in law and my father in law have loads of experience and can talk for hours on this that and the other, I have a lovely main comp but for the life of me, do not understand why its touch screen, so many times you are looking at something and someone usually comes along and touches the screen......My advice would be to get the latest model so there are plenty of programmes, get something ergonomically the correct size for what you want, if you travel on trains etc a lot, you need something lighter than if its going to be in the car, also the screen a nice size to what clips or films on with ease.......I just love my I pad and hardly plug in my once loved laptop......one thing I would add, I so want a wire less small portable printer, I  used to have one and it was so handy and not bulky to carry around, although rarely do we need to print stuff out now but just in case......then its cases, get a good strong one, I have a griffin on my I pad that protects the screen, that's a major factor as many portable comp get dropped!!!! so hope you get your comp soon :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #37 on: August 24, 2013, 12:38:31 pm »
when i got my computer, a friends husband was obviously a computer fan as he had computer magazines, one of which had the "which guide" in it. i chose mine from the "which guide" then went and got it from argos, who had it on discount. its been great and im no computer boff at all. i like the bigger screens so we can watch movies on it.

mowhaugh

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Scottish Borders
    • Facebook
« Reply #38 on: August 24, 2013, 01:25:41 pm »
This is all very helpful - I have a 4 or 5 year old Acer Aspire, which has been fab, but I dropped it the other day when I tripped over a toy tractor.  It is still working, as you can see, but the frame is a bit smashed up and the mouse pad is very dodgy, so think it will need to be replaced.  Lots of people have mentioned iPads, sorry to be dim, but do you need a computer/laptop too to get stuff on to your iPad, or could you just have an iPad?

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #39 on: August 24, 2013, 01:30:52 pm »
you can just have your I pad, I think the main problem is, there are loads of extras that you can get called apps, short for applications, some are free but tease you to upgrade and then cost money, as soon as you get an I pad you register  your card :innocent: :innocent: , so  you can tot up a big bill if you are inclined, I only bought 3 things so far and I pleased!!! Also some things do not work so well on I pad, you have to use apple stuff...its a bit like the sell you something and you end up constantly buying more for it...there are other tablets that I am sure others have, my mother in law has one and loves it, I love the camera in mine and the player so I can watch TV , many cafes etc have free wi fii but you have to have your own internet account of dongle........its brill to have a coffee and post photos of  your cake on Facebook :excited:

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #40 on: August 24, 2013, 02:51:35 pm »
the kindle is handy to have for the internet but the touch screen drives me nuts as its quicker than my fat fingers  :roflanim: however my kids love it and download loads of games free from amazon. i did download a book but found it ran out of charge quite quickly so wasnt as portable as a real book (i like to read at the beach/park while the kids play), plus the glare hurts my eyes even tho it has a dim. you cant beat a real book  :eyelashes:

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #41 on: August 24, 2013, 04:44:11 pm »
Worth going onto the Consumer's Association (Which?) website and paying a small sub to get their latest report.  Expert assessment and no flim flam.  Agree on Windows 8 - nightmare and so user UN friendly.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS