Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What Laptop  (Read 14071 times)

funkyfish

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Devon
Re: What Laptop
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2013, 07:17:14 am »
I can highly recommend a Mac! You don't have to worry about spending money on anti virus stuff or the rubbish Windows 8 which most laptops will come with. We have Macbook Pro as my other half is a bit of an Apple nut... Its lovely to use I prefer the keyboard and how you use the touch pad- its different to other laptops, but you can scroll up and down and zoom in and out easily.

An Air will do all you want- they don't have many usb ports etc or other fancy bits, but are nice to use. If you have local Apple shop, the staff are usually very friendly and will show you the different models and let you play with one for a bit.

Old and rare breed Ducks, chickens, geese, sheep, guinea pigs, 3 dogs, 3 cats, husband and chicks brooding in the tv cabinate!

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2013, 08:32:57 am »
I have an ancient laptop, it's IBM from pre-Lenovo takeover so that'll tell you it's old but it's older than that!  I have problems with slow running now, despite putting extra memory in, because it was previously adapted by my former employers to run a partition for security reasons, and it took a huge chunk out which I can't put back and despite putting all my personal files, photos etc there and deleting a whole lot of unused programs, it struggles..

BUT, even if I had cash to consider a new one or an iPad, I don't think I'd get an iPad or anything with touch screen typing.  I couldn't manage an iPhone and stick with a Blackberry time afte time because it has keys that click and I have touch typed for years and NEED keys.  The current BB has touch options which I do use for clicking and selecting etc, but not for typing words. 

Actually I did acquire another laptop second hand a few years ago, a Samsung I think, maybe - it had different keyboard layout and a different feel and I couldn't get used to it so went back to the IBM and had the other one for secure files I didn't want near an internet connection..  Oh and I forgot the wireless password I'd put on my Sky account so couldn't get it to connect except with long cables across the house, tho now the connection wireless is so slow I have the cable anyway to the IBM..  ::)   And kept Windows XP  :D

Besides, since Apple went from the "alternate" culture of artists and design students to mainstream with the iPad and iPhone, the prices rocketed and I can't afford one - so that's that!
Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2013, 08:37:48 am »
We have just bought an ipad (2 days old now) so still getting used to it. The on-screen keys seem to be ok but if you want to spend out on an expensive case you can also get one with 'proper' keys built in so that you have the choice.
I must say the screen is lovely and clear and very easy to read. So far  :thumbsup:
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2013, 09:20:27 am »
i have always used a pc with windows - how difficult might it be to change to Apple products.  I can learn programmes etc but I don't like to. 

And what about word process type things.  I do the Year Book for The Marans Club and I used Word last year  Will I have to buy a new programme or do they come with something installed.

I already have programmes like Micorosoft Office, Photoshop, which I use a lot, Lotus Approach which I have used to store a fair bit of info over the years - but they are all ancient versions, and might not even work on a new windows system

Too many options  :thinking: :thinking: :thinking: [size=78%] [/size]
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2013, 09:23:20 am »
they will work fine on modern windows systems

as for word processors on the ipad i think the fully compatible one was 7quid

although if you do a lot of word processing stick to a laptop, i pad is fine for posting on forum etc but no good for long documents.

mrs b has both ipad for surfing web etc, laptop for uni work...

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2013, 09:29:54 am »
I have a desk top, a tablet, an I phone, 2 laptops and an Apple.  None compare to the desk top screen or the keyboard for me except my Acer, but it's all down to personal preference.  Best thing, Sue is to go into a shop and check a few out.

Any reason you have such a selection  :)
Ha ha, knew someone would ask  -  the Mac I don't use much as it's a pass down for the kids when they are here from their mum and Dad; one laptop(HP) is mine but is old, the other lap top (ACER)  belongs to a club I run and I love the large screen, but I don't like pad keyboards so I connect a standard keyboard to it, and also connect it to my big HD TV which isn't Internet ready;   I use the tablet in bed to catch up if I forget something, or not feeling well, but the keyboard has to be brought up and again it's tiny.  I use the desk top most of the time during the day, unless the dogs need my company.  :innocent: 

For preference it's the Acer and extra keyboard so I can relax in my easy chair with a special tray for it on my knee or a small table alongside my recliner - lazy or what!  :innocent:
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2013, 09:35:16 am »
I had a Dell PC last time, and I must say it has been very reliable.

What are they like nowadays for reliability.  I have been researching online and they come with a next day onsite repair guarantee, not that any of the hardware every gave any probs.  Its always the software that seems to cause the grief.

One of the things I don't like is that they come with windows 8 and no options, and that seems to get terrible reviews everywhere.

My PC is used for a fair  amount of touch typing, manipulating and storing photos, making a few websites,  my diary and storing bits of info, plus emailing.  Though I would like to maybe watch some catch up TV and possible do more downloading of films / music   Mine is so slow its not worth the effort.

This new life is going to be exciting  :)

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2013, 09:41:43 am »
We were typing at the same time Doganjo

What size screen on the acer, and how do you manage with a keyboard and a laptop on your lap  ???

I was thinking of getting a kindle as I won't have room for books, but should have plenty of time to read. 

But I have heard bad things about them bagging out not long after the warranty expires, whereas you can download all the amazon kindle stuff onto an ipad which are more reliable and then you have the ipad to use as well

Have I understood correctly and what are other folks experiences.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2013, 10:00:08 am »
The external keyboard sits on top of the keyboard pad as it's disabled when the x one is plugged in, or I use teh table which has room for both.

I forgot about kindles - I've had one for 20 months -wonderful thing! I used to read a couple of books a year if i was pushed - since the kids bought me the kindle for Christmas last year I've read 190 books!!!! ::)

You'd have room on a laptop for all your books as well as your other stuff - they come with oodles of space these days.

As Is said before go to a shop - but leave your purse behind and buy one online - but not from that American place on Ebay you quoted. - might come with an American keyboard like the MACS - I can't get used to the @ being above the 2 on the top left rather than above the  ' on the bottom right  :-[
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2013, 06:15:05 pm »
You can also get Kindle free to download to a PC, even an ancient one like mine, came with a few free classics too :)
Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2013, 07:22:37 pm »
I have a kindle on the I pad too but do not read so I just read the daily news papers on it!!

kja

• Joined Oct 2012
« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2013, 08:29:05 am »
just last week we replaced our old laptop that ran windows 7. after hearing tales of the new windows 8 decided to take a look at the apple mac air its a great piece of kit  :excited: chuffed to bits with it  :thumbsup:
we can still learn if we are willing to listen.

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2013, 08:46:56 am »
I am not sure I would buy pre loved lap tops, they may well be perfect and to be honest, everything else in my house is pre loved (not steve) but you are never too sure, if you have the money buy new, they also date pretty quick. I must say, the I pad is great for ageing eyes, you can expand anything and read things well but I hate predictive text although it can cause a few giggles.......I often put Wellies and end up with Willies!

Victorian Farmer

« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2013, 10:54:12 am »
Mammyshaz dawn load the start button for windows 8 i use lap top i pad i think i pad samsung galaxey are best .Think inpotant mail its there on these i pads etc less to go wrong .

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2013, 11:33:32 am »
Hubby bought me  an Acer Aspire for xmas last year when my Vaio died. The Vaio was complete and utter pooh, it never really worked properly and was terribly slow no matter how I tried to clean it up. This Acer is great though. Separate numbers bit at the side like a standalone keyboard and the screen is sooo clear.
How experiences differ! I love my Vaio - it was one of the few laptop models with a 17 inch screen and it has so far not let me down with anything. It also has a glare free screen. I found it on the sony outlet site at a good price. The Acer I had before was utter rubbish. A few keys stuck for months until they were "broken in ", very annoying. When sun shines in the window you can't see anything! I even had to rescue it from a complete collapse with a black screen although the memory is supposedly 4 gb. I now bought my daughter a Fujitsu - will see how that performs. She does have a tablet running on Android but she says it only does half of what she needs a computer to do. Never get a chromebook with Android - her words. Get Windows 7 if you still can...  :&>

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS