Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: highland cattle  (Read 46391 times)

The Chicken Lady

• Joined Mar 2008
  • Cheshire
Re: highland cattle
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2008, 08:16:50 pm »
I contacted the lady who owns the site. She could not get onto it either so she is looking into it. Will let you know when it is up and running again  :)
Karen

Gareth

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2008, 04:41:51 pm »
Hello,

I am the trainee warden at a nature reserve right on the Herts/Bucks border near Tring. We have a lone Highland cow that we are looking to re-home and wondered if anyone would have space for her. She is 10 years old and very friendly but her companion recently died so we are looking to move her on.

Thankyou kindly,

Gareth Luscombe

The Chicken Lady

• Joined Mar 2008
  • Cheshire
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2008, 02:32:50 pm »
I am just bursting with excitement. I don't suppose anyone will be interested but after 12 months of looking, research, saving and preparation - I am going with money in my pocket to buy some highland cattle tomorrow  ;D I know I will be getting 2 of something  ::) Proberbly a cow with calf at foot. Maybe even in calf again. Will be telling everyone how I get on.  :cow:
Karen

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2008, 07:03:39 pm »
We'll look forward to hearing all about your spending spree!

kaz

• Joined Jul 2008
  • Ceredigion
  • Dust yourself off when life throws you down.
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2008, 07:32:20 pm »
Had no problem with your link chicken lady.
Penybont Ryelands. Ystwyth Coloured Ryelands.  2 alpacas, 2 angora goats, 2 anglo nubian kids, 3golden retrievers a collie and a red fox labrador retriever, geese, ducks & chickens.

Ash Field Farm

• Joined Apr 2008
  • banbury
  • my girls
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2008, 11:36:20 am »
hello chicken lady have u had any luck at the sales  ow much did they cost in the end  are they pedagriee  have u thought about breeding from them out of intrest i was looking on the internet yesterday on and AI site called genus  and they only have 1 pedagiree highland bull seamen in store  they can do the whole thing for u as iam told  i was looking into for my cattle as well
i was reading the forum and the prices where discused about the cost of cattle from looking around localy that would be very cheap even for a bullock cross from a dairy cow  cattle for finishing are fetching in the region of 800-900 pounds a few months ago  cos i spoke to a chap who finished cattle for sainsburys  he does around 5000 a year  he was moaning bout the price  he was having to pay i brought breeding stock a cow in calf is £1500-1800 and if she has a calf at foot i £2500  :cow:
 i was told because of the foot and mouth over the last 10 years  the country lost a lot of its spare cattle reserves and breeding stock basicly a shotage thats y the beef price is high i think its around 255 pence per kg at the mo sori my mistake its 283.9ppkg just had a look for a good carcus  i have to applogise for the spelling lol let me knoe how u got on at the sales in the end

The Chicken Lady

• Joined Mar 2008
  • Cheshire
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2008, 07:09:50 pm »
I am sooooo tired. What a day! I have my yellow highland cow that is in calf with a white calf at foot. She has been running with a black bull and I am told that she will more than likely have a red calf. So I will have a variety of colours. The cow I have has won many prizes and has been in an advert for tennants larger! She is 10 years old and I chose the older cow as she let me handle her and I felt as she was my first I was better gaining confidence with her before I expand my herd. Now for the main bit - price. £550. In effect I hopefully have 3 for that price! I thought getting 2 was a good price so if I get a calf in March I will be chuffed  ;D There was alot to choose from and I would have liked a very nice black cow with a red calf at foot but she had not been halter trained. They are selling the whole herd as the owner has moved bak to the USA. My previous link did not work as I put an e too many in. It is www.themercastonfold.com
Karen

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2008, 08:52:11 pm »
Congratulation. Once you've rested and recovered, pics please. Funny how exhausting spending money is.

The Chicken Lady

• Joined Mar 2008
  • Cheshire
« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2008, 12:14:32 pm »
I have been in the field with my cow a couple of times now - taken some hay and some feed in a bucket today. She does not really need anything, it is just to get her to know me. She stands still and lets me stroke her - the calf will not come near me yet but she is still a baby. I am sure she will soon. I am just waiting for all her papers to arrive I can't remember her full gaelic name but it means lovable one I think! I will take some photo's but I do not have much luck posting them - it always tell me that they are too big.  :cow:
Karen

Ash Field Farm

• Joined Apr 2008
  • banbury
  • my girls
« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2008, 02:38:02 pm »
hi good luck with the geting to know them it will be so help full when it comes to calfing or medical probs
what type of feed are u useing at the moment as mine r still on the grass untill we have either a complete blanket frost or snow as recomened by the breeder  but i was thinking of giving them hay around the end of november possably the middle  of nov  depends on the weather  is the feed a sepcial one for in calf cows

The Chicken Lady

• Joined Mar 2008
  • Cheshire
« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2008, 04:32:12 pm »
I still have plenty of grass too. As I said it is just a way of getting to know them at the moment. I have given them hay as I already have that as we have a pony. I bought some cattle mix from the local animal feed suppliers. Highlands should not really need much feeding. I will proberbly give them silage when they need feeding in the winter.
Karen

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS