Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Gooseberry Curd  (Read 5557 times)

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Gooseberry Curd
« on: August 07, 2013, 12:39:12 pm »
I made this yesterday, for the first time ever.   It took HOURS, so only make it when you are having a kitchen day anyway, but for those who love gooseberries (not Sally Bionic I know  :D ) and are not too keen on sickly things, it is absolutely delicious, and is a great way to use up part of the gooseberry glut, plus a few eggs.   Needs to be stored in the fridge and eaten within the month.

Gooseberry Curd
3lbs green gooseberries
1 pt water
1 1/2 lbs sugar
4oz butter
4 eggs well beaten

Make as you would lemon curd : Cook the berries in the water til very soft; sieve. Put juice in a double boiler, or a bowl over very hot water.  (Hens love the leftover skins etc). Dissolve in sugar.  Add butter and the beaten strained eggs, stir well together.
Cook gently (will curdle if it boils) in the double boiler, stirring - recipe says occasionally but I found it formed a skin if not done every few minutes at least.  It's ready when 'it coats the back of the spoon' - totally ambiguous, but just once it's thick.  Pot up, with wax disc and new lid.
Store in fridge.  My yield was 3 1/2 lbs, recipe said 4 - I would probably have had more if I hadn't kept licking the spoon  :roflanim:

« Last Edit: August 07, 2013, 12:40:45 pm by Fleecewife »
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Re: Gooseberry Curd
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2013, 01:11:33 pm »
Although I don't like gooseberries I absolutely LOVE lemon curd  ;D
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2013, 03:16:17 pm »
If you were closer you could try a spoonful Sally  :yum:

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2013, 10:41:17 pm »
I need to start growing gooseberries.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2013, 10:50:36 pm »
Me too  :)

luckylady

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Yorkshire
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2013, 08:43:37 am »
Going to try this today.  Personally can't stand gooseberries but OH loves them.  Usually freeze the harvest for him but reserving room in the freezer for the glut from the orchard.  The trees are laden this year  :thumbsup: .
Doing that swan thing - cool and calm on the surface but paddling like crazy beneath.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2013, 11:46:26 pm »
Going to try this today.  Personally can't stand gooseberries but OH loves them.  Usually freeze the harvest for him but reserving room in the freezer for the glut from the orchard.  The trees are laden this year  :thumbsup: .

Did you try it luckylady?    What did your OH think of it?  It's even better after a couple of days in the fridge  :yum:

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2013, 12:05:09 am »
Wow - will have to try this next year when our gooseberries are big enough to produce for us  :yum:

Have you tried Crab Apple Curd Juliet?  I made a load last year & called it "Crabby Curd"  ;)  - absolutely delicious  :yum: :yum: :yum:
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2013, 08:41:04 am »
Sounds scrummy, although I doubt I will have enough crab apples for a couple of years yet.  By then I might have lost the weight I've put on by eating too much gooseberry curd  :roflanim:

luckylady

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Yorkshire
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2013, 11:56:28 am »

Did you try it luckylady?    What did your OH think of it?  It's even better after a couple of days in the fridge  :yum:
Wish I'd had the time FW.  Gooseberries ended up in the freezer.  Crazy week last week as my FIL had his triple heart bypass and have had MIL staying with us.  OH flew back from overseas briefly to be with his dad and I'm currently being the practical and emotional crutch for all three of them, especially MIL.  OH flying back to work today so will have to make the curd for him on his return.   Have you ever tried blackcurrant curd?  They went in the freezer too!
Doing that swan thing - cool and calm on the surface but paddling like crazy beneath.

MelRice

• Joined Jun 2011
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2013, 04:25:49 pm »
I found some gooseberry juice in my local pressed fruit-juice shop.....it was really lovely so much so that my daughter has asked for another bottle! (she does not really like gooseberry anything)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS