Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: ideas wanted for 2.5 acres  (Read 3073 times)

Mannimel

• Joined Jul 2010
ideas wanted for 2.5 acres
« on: August 06, 2013, 10:13:21 pm »
hi all, i have 2.5 acres of padock, which i have pigs on part of it and a pony for my kids. i am after ideas on how best to use the land for the table, or possible sale of produce. i was thinking on the lines of a chicken coop for free range eggs. and a poly tunnel, size undecided on, what size is recommended and what is best to grow and when.
i am new to the gardening side of things but hard work does not frighten me. i am 49 and have as much time as i need to do any work digging fencing ect.
just after some ideas
thanks all

john and helen

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Devon
  • WARNING,,,MAY SAY WHAT HE BELIEVES
    • Facebook
Re: ideas wanted for 2.5 acres
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2013, 10:21:39 pm »
orchard,,, chooks for eggs , chooks for meat,... small pond ..ducks for meat and eggs, Pigs ....turkey, quail, maybe a goat for milk, meat

Mannimel

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2013, 10:28:19 pm »
i have a pond that would work for a few ducks, not fond of goats unfortunately, pigs are doing well on growth for the meat side of things, turkeys are on the cards with xmas in view, need to secure a shed for them in next couple of days.
its more the veg, salad side of things i'm lost  at

RUSTYME

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2013, 11:12:25 pm »
 Veg plot 30'x90' wili feed a family of 4 or 5 with all the basic veg they need . 2 of those and you are getting near the max of what you can do by hand , unless you use a rotovator . Any surplus veg could be sold and would cover the cost of seed etc and maybe some profit , but don't count on that .
Growing for selling can be a nightmare .
A few sheep would help keep the grass tidy , horses can make the ground a mess , and help keep the worm burden down too .
Too many ducks on the pond and you have a stinking cesspit/lagoon , unless it is big , 1/2 an acre plus .
But all the veg you can eat , plenty of eggs and chicken , lamb/mutton and wool for clothes/rugs   is very possible , depends on what you want and the lifestyle you lead  .

Mannimel

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2013, 11:43:31 pm »
hi rustyme, thanks for the reply, you have just about hit the nail on the head, our family is a fam of 5, so my main intention is to feed the family with a good diet from our land, hence the pigs and chickens. the ponies are for the kids enjoyment. i was thing of a ewe or 2 in lamb, keep the ewe's eat the lambs, its the veg patches i'm really at and end with, a rotavator is a must i know, especially the size of tunnel's i am looking at, my pond is no where near 1/2 acre, more like 12 ft square, so ducks will not be good on there.
i'll keep playing with the plans on the land and try get a few photo's see what everyone comes up with,

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2013, 10:33:22 am »
We have the same amount of land and have 2 weaners and 5 ewes with 4 lambs. There were horses here before us and the ground has definitely improved since we got the sheep.
We also have 6 chickens and a couple of geese on the pond.
I enquired about a poly tunnel, but unless I have it in the garden I would need planning permission here. Thats something you might want to think about. Do you ask about pp or would the tunnel be hidden and you errect without pp.
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Mannimel

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2013, 07:16:40 pm »
PP my field backs on to a load of council allotments, and they erect what they want in any style they want so i think i will be doing the same hehe, one of them suck it and see

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS