Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Wood Burning Stove Rope Adhesive Disaster - HELP!!!  (Read 8968 times)

Dawber

• Joined Aug 2013
Wood Burning Stove Rope Adhesive Disaster - HELP!!!
« on: August 05, 2013, 07:45:34 pm »
 After a problem with a plasterer dropping water on our lovely (almost new >:() log burning stove which resulted in significant rusting to our fire, a friend gave me what she assured us was the right stuff to recoat the fire...which I dutifully did. I've since discovered that this was actually the rope glue for fitting a new rope to the inside of the door!! So my lovely stove is now covered in glue (and my slate hearth has a few spots too). Anyone have any ideas what this may do to the fire and/or if there is a way of removing this without indue damage?

Your help is desperately needed!

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
Re: Wood Burning Stove Rope Adhesive Disaster - HELP!!!
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2013, 07:50:18 pm »
would it work if you had the fire on and heat softened the glue residue and you could wipe off?   :fc:
keeper of goats, sheep, pigs, ducks, chickens, turkeys, dogs, cats, goldfish and children, just don't ask me which is the most work!

Bodger

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2013, 07:57:08 pm »
I think the whole idea is that the heat of the fire actually hardens it and makes it stick

Dawber

• Joined Aug 2013
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2013, 08:11:39 pm »
It actually looks ok! Black and smooth. just hope it doesn't change colour when heated or prevent the real blackening stuff from working.

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2013, 08:16:49 pm »
I re-roped and used the glue about a month or so ago. I am pretty sure that I just washed off any dribbles with water. worth a try soaking then wash off with a rag.
www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr
Gifts and crafts made by us.

Victorian Farmer

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2013, 10:56:52 am »
Go to the car place and get a tin of heat resistant black paint rub the mes of and give it  a coat of fresh paint if the hearth looks full do that it will look bran new in no time .i do it all the time

john and helen

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Devon
  • WARNING,,,MAY SAY WHAT HE BELIEVES
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2013, 04:41:16 pm »
just a thought...i take it you havn't lit the wood burner yet.... have you checked to see if the glue is flammable....

best check before lighting

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2013, 05:16:13 pm »
That crossed my mind too -   the rope's on the outside, but still - better safe ...........
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2013, 05:48:34 pm »
would the glue be flammable as it is designed for doorways of a fire?
sounds a nightmare but id repaint over it if it looks bad or wait to see if it burns off over winter.

RUSTYME

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2013, 06:33:01 pm »
It won't be flamable and it will sort of bake on when the fire is lit .
If it is thick enough , it should chip off with an old chisel . Don't whack it with a hammer though , just a little tap and scrape with the chisel in an out of the way area .
Failing that , a wire brush should do the job , and then repaint !
I take it you did read the cement instructions ( albeit after application ) , were there no instructions as to removing surplus glue , ie solvent / water etc .
Is there not a website for the glue/cement product ?

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2013, 07:31:21 pm »
Light a really hot fire, open all the windows in case of fumes, get you and any animals out, and let it 'set'.

Then see what it looks like once cold, and if necessary, give it a coat of fire black.

john and helen

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Devon
  • WARNING,,,MAY SAY WHAT HE BELIEVES
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2013, 08:27:25 pm »
Talking of fires,,,there is a house just down the road burning  right now..hope they got out ok..those are disabilities units,
looks like a few fire engines have attended... i won't be nosey, best let them get on with what they need to do

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS