Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: feathers  (Read 5404 times)

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
feathers
« on: July 31, 2009, 11:08:06 pm »
I just plucked our first duck. I kept the feathers for now, they seem to good to sling and might attract foxes if I put them on the compost. Did anyone ever make things out of them, if so, what and how?  :&>

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: feathers
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2009, 11:59:02 pm »
All sorts of crafts use feathers - you can adorn greetings cards with them, and make table decorations - they can be dyed too.  Scrapbooks too
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Tullywood Farm

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2009, 12:09:01 am »
If you have a wax brimmed hat, they look great attached to that.

I have some Lavender Guinea Fowl feathers, and some Peacock Feathers, and if anyone wants a couple pm me your address and I will send you some.

Julie

HappyHippy

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2009, 09:54:48 am »
If you go fishing you could use them to tie flies, or sell them to fishermen to tie their own.  ;)

dreamer

• Joined Apr 2009
  • ilkeston derbyshire
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2009, 09:03:34 pm »
If you plkant fruit bushes or trees throw some feathers in the hole before planting also can use as a mulch around the base.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2009, 10:02:28 pm »
Yup, I'd go for fly tying as well, for example why not have a go at the classic 'Mallard and Claret' (though on second thoughts you'll have to pluck a golden pheasant as well for that one  ;)):

The other duck feathers that are used in fly tying are the 'Cul-de-Canard' feathers (or "Duck's Earse", as they're more commonly known round here). These are the ones from around the oil gland (the bit the ducks rub their heads on when preening). The feathers here are saturated with the oil, and hence are permanently buoyant. They're used to tie flies that hang in the surface film, to simulate mosquitos etc that are in the process of hatching:

http://www.fish4flies.com/img/flies/Large/T4225CDC%20Black%20Shuttlecock%20Buzzer.jpg

If you know any fly tiers, they'd bite your hands off for a few of these!

HTH!!
« Last Edit: August 09, 2009, 10:07:38 pm by Womble »
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2009, 10:39:21 pm »
Aha, do I detect a fisherman, Womble?
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Tullywood Farm

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2009, 10:53:24 pm »
Its another world - there beautiful

Julie

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2009, 05:39:11 pm »
Aha, do I detect a fisherman, Womble?

Perhaps  ;)    I do tie my own flies, but nothing quite as fancy as the ones pictured above. I keep meaning to have a go with the feathers from some of our hens, as I think that would be kinda fun.

A quick check on E-bay shows that cock and hen 'capes' (the best feathers for flies) fetch 2 or 3 pounds each. So, whilst the average smallholder is never going to retire on the proceeds, if you could find out how to process and preserve (dry?) them, this could be another way to offset the cost of your home grown roast chickens!
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

HappyHippy

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2009, 07:49:43 pm »
As a kid, I used to tie flies for my dad. I got so good I decided to enter a competition in Trout & Salmon, I don't know whether they actually thought they were any good or just took pity on me cos I was a youngster but I got a heap of feathers, threads etc sent from them.
Anyone who's interested should have a go - it's quite easy to get started and you can sell the finished works of art on Ebay !

Smooth Hound

• Joined May 2009
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2009, 08:42:33 pm »
you could use them for mackerel feathers :-\

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS