Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Farner charged with manslaughter over walker death  (Read 12201 times)

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
Farner charged with manslaughter over walker death
« on: August 06, 2013, 10:31:53 am »
Just seen this http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-nottinghamshire-23586552

So does this mean that any of us who have cattle in our fields which have public right of ways thro them are responsible or their actions?? Where the feck are we supposed to put them?
Grrr :rant: :rant:
Mandy :pig:

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
Re: Farner charged with manslaughter over walker death
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2013, 10:35:24 am »
He was killed by a bull, very tricky. I would have thought there are more circumstances than the media have thought to detail in the report such as inadequate warning signs , had the bull shown signs of aggression to walkers before etc? Am going to show hubster this article as he has to advice farmers about such issues -
personally, if I saw a field with a bull in it or cows with calves at foot,  I don't think I'd choose to take a little wander through - footpath or not! but we have to assume the public are ignorant of livestock and potential problems, don't we  >:(

edited to add - just re-read it, 'sufficient evidence' and 'in the public interest' - legal speak to say "there is much more to this than we are currently disclosing...."
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2013, 11:22:15 am »
Be interesting to see how this pans out. We don't have any footpaths over our land but it is an issue for many.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2013, 11:35:53 am »
It is generally considered bad practise to keep a bull on his own on a public footpath.  I wonder if this is what happened here.

Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

john and helen

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Devon
  • WARNING,,,MAY SAY WHAT HE BELIEVES
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2013, 11:43:04 am »
Very sad that the guy lost his life, but i do feel sorry for the farmer
I often see people on the public footpath that borders my shooting ground...
in those cases i put the gun away, i guess putting a bull or any animal with young in a field with a public footpath should be thought through 1st..... its a shame when you can't rely on common sense anymore

I wouldn't dream of entering a field with cows, unless they where mine

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2013, 12:03:57 pm »
It's of course sad that he died.

So it effectively means you can't use your own fields?

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2013, 01:18:35 pm »
It's not clear what the circumstances are eg was the farmer breaking the law by the bill being turned out alone in a field with a FP, or had there been previous incidents with the animal which meant he knew it was high risk temperament.

If not, then from a farming POV it is worrying, as normally while there is civil liability for any accidents and injuries (dealt with by insurance), there shouldn't be criminal charges,

Which makes me think, and hope, that the circumstances of this case might have aggravating features, if not it would be of great concern.

ShaunP

• Joined Dec 2009
    • Timber Chalets and Lodges
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2013, 01:32:57 pm »
Just read a different report that adds 'The Wildlife and Countryside Act makes it an offence to keep a bull in a field which is crossed by a public right of way.

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2013, 01:51:08 pm »
Gosh, I know him!
His brother farms near me.....

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2013, 02:03:27 pm »
He's being charged but not yet convicted, so this case might help clarify the law in this respect.   Whilst I would never walk through a field with a bull in it, nor would I put my bull, if I had one, in a field with a public right of way through it.  Since the public rights of access have changed, those who work in the countryside have to take the new rules into consideration.    I very much doubt there is only one field where the bull can be.    But lets see how the trial pans out.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2013, 02:13:13 pm »
Yes - certainly seems to be more to it than meets the eye.......
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

Hassle

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2013, 06:46:49 pm »
So last year when the police shot 3 heifers because a walker with a dog went off piste and decided to walk along the edge of some pasture land and CPS says it wasn't in the public's interest to prosecuted.
And on the same page is the following story A police officer who hit and killed a trainee soldier on the A31 in Surrey while responding to an 999 call will not face charges.
Smells of one rule for one and another for everyone else.

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2013, 06:50:49 pm »
so what if someone exercises their "right to roam" and goes in your field with a bull present? we have a bull and although there is no official public right of way, we are very close to a village. im quite worried now.
what are the laws on putting up warning signs? the village surrounds our lan so not sure where to put the sign up??

RUSTYME

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2013, 07:00:11 pm »
Right in the middle of the field , in very tiny writing , with a ps : he's behind you !

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2013, 07:48:00 pm »
Just read a different report that adds 'The Wildlife and Countryside Act makes it an offence to keep a bull in a field which is crossed by a public right of way.

lazy journalists grrr. This is not the case as such.

You cannot keep any breed of  bull alone!  without cows for company, in such a field, nor any bull of a recognised dairy breed (alone or with company cows). However a beef breed bull accompanied by cows is perfectly legal!

Here is the relevant section of the act. Look like the journalists only read the headline not the subsection.http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1981/69/section/59

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS