Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Buzzard attacks  (Read 10238 times)

melholly

• Joined Oct 2010
  • East Sussex
    • My Blog
Re: Buzzard attacks
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2013, 05:17:55 pm »
I too can vouch for buzzards circling our girls - and a sparrowhawk too. Fruit cage mesh and a cockerel seems to have worked so far... I let mine out for chunks of the day and the cockerel seems useful in having them running for cover at the slightest hint of aerial attack! Mind you, he has them indoors if its too sunny, too wet, too windy, a leaf blows by...!
Mx
http://selfridgestoscats.blogspot.com  **NOW UPDATED**
twitter - @southscouse

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2013, 08:36:15 pm »
We had one here last year and it was taking a bantam every few days, It got to the point we had to keep everything in pens to stop it
Graham

Louise Gaunt

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2013, 05:08:18 pm »
Hi all,
Thanks for advice, support and other instances of buzzard attack. At least I know it is just not my hens being taken. We have rigged up a matrix of string on  bamboo poles with added CDs to try and deter the little devils. It is a cheaper option than lsrge areas of fruit cage netting. Also. My fruit cage was pulled down by a heavy fall of snow last year, so I am a bit wary about netting the hen run.

melholly

• Joined Oct 2010
  • East Sussex
    • My Blog
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2013, 08:51:02 am »
Would a dummy bird of prey sitting on top of the hen area be help or hindrance I wonder? If you can't net I just wondered if a patrolling buzzard saw another 'buzzard' would they leave alone?

Just a thought that popped into my head! No science behind it - don't know if buzzards are that territorial with each other but do know they fight with the crows etc over territory and nesting.

Also irrelevant was that when dog walking yesterday I saw a buzzard trying to attack a carp on the pond.

Mx
http://selfridgestoscats.blogspot.com  **NOW UPDATED**
twitter - @southscouse

gerpsych

• Joined May 2012
  • Gwynedd
  • The beatings will continue until morale improves
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2013, 01:07:17 pm »
Just a thought that popped into my head! No science behind it - don't know if buzzards are that territorial with each other but do know they fight with the crows etc over territory and nesting.

I have seen this. Last week I watched as two crows gave aerial battle with a hawk to drive it away. The fighting continued for quite some time and I've subsequently noticed that this is the crows territory

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2013, 02:01:59 pm »
I quite often see crows and the jackdaws chasing off buzzards at our place. We have a buzzards nest just above the paddock where 1/2 my chickens are but mine are only out when I'm around-a large movable pen with bird netting seems to have done the trick. Also have a large cockerel. I do have a sparrowhawk that buzzes past whenever I have chicks/growers in the garden but they are contained by runs as well.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2013, 05:32:41 pm »
Guinea fowl have excellent eyesight and were very good at alerting our hens to aerial danger.  They can be quite noisy so no near neighbours is probably helpful.  Don't keep them if you have bees, though, as they're fearsome insect catchers.

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2013, 03:35:44 am »
We have a resident buzzard which has been trying to work out how to get into the chicken enclosure for months now. After it came out of the trees and flew low over the chickens (which were all in covered runs) we have strung yellow washing line at about 8 feet high -10 x 20 metre lengths. We also have tripods (three branches strung together with a rock hanging in the middle) spread about to prevent landing and to give the hens cover. It is a constant worry. Saw it yesterday in a tree, presumably considering a flight over from a different side.

debscooper

• Joined Aug 2013
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2013, 03:27:42 pm »
One of my Call ducks went missing last week - complete mystery until one of the neighbours said there had been buzzards overhead that day! Since she went the other two have been acting very strangely - hiding in shrubbery and running extra fast when out in the open. So sounds like it could have been a buzzard. Bit worrying, as I also have assorted free range chickens in the garden ...

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2013, 03:32:28 pm »
keeping my young chickens in their run just now as the buzzards are eyeing them up. Young birds learning to hunt I think.

Louise Gaunt

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2013, 12:44:35 pm »
Further advice from my nephew, a game keeper, is to put a scarecrow in the run as well as my strings, bamboo canes and CDs. Daughter selling unwanted clothes at car boot this weekend. Any unsold suitable items may well make their way into the hen run!

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2013, 11:37:23 am »
This morning I was letting my birds out. I just placed the last drinker in the little chick run and heard a commotion behind me, stood up and a sparrow hawk almost brushed my hood! As it raced through the garden! Chickens scattered to hedgerows, and the bird sat on the fence post, about five meters from where i was standing! seeming not to have realised it had nearly flown into my back.

It sat on the post, looking down at the chicks (8 weeks old) under the hedge and I threw an empty bucket at it.  Missed, not by too much, maybe meter or two, gave it hell of a fright. Have now strung up some mesh and hung some stuff from trees to hopefully dissuade it from picking off my lovely birds! Grrrr... Anyone else had sp hawks being a problem? These are big growers, not chicks at all!

Tala Orchard

• Joined Nov 2012
  • North Cornwall
    • Tala Orchard
« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2013, 11:49:12 am »
We have buzzards here all the time they perch on the telegraph poles no more than 50 meters form our chickens we have nto had any trouble with them as yet, we do have a problem with rooks though, untill we changed our chicken house they used to pinch the eggs and they are spiteful to the young chicks they pinch the feed that the chicks drop and fight off chicks that go near the feeder if they ar ethere however our cockerel does his job and continually fights them off.

As we have said no problems with buzzards could it be a chicken hawk as I understand that they are making a comeback from near extinction here in england and else where in the UK.

added

Must have been having a seniors moment as I cannot find the article I read and the one I did find mentioned New England, so put it down to age. So probably not in UK unless I was thinking of the Hen Harrier.

Tala
« Last Edit: August 26, 2013, 07:42:41 pm by Tala Orchard »
Pigs are human tooo

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2013, 04:07:18 pm »
whats a chicken hawk? thought they were American?
There's no reason why some populations of buzzards wouldn't learn to catch chickens-animals have to be adaptable to survive and it stands to reason they'd take advantage of an easy food resource. They hunt ground prey after all-not on the wing. Sparrow hawks prefer to hunt on the wing but I saw one take out a pigeon on the ground almost right in front of me earlier this year.

I've had sparrow hawks buzz my growers while they were in a secure pen. I don't doubt they would pick them off if they could.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #29 on: August 25, 2013, 04:39:28 pm »
We made an effective scarecrow from a 5 ft fence post with a coathanger tied to it about 30 cm down.  Put the bottom end of the post through the leg of an old pair of waterproof trousers. Put an old jacket over the hanger and the hood up over the top of the post.  The scarecrow can then be leaned against a run, gate, hedge,, etc., with the sleeves draped at varying angles and the free trouser leg moved around.  I just move it a bit every time I go past it.  Scarecrows become useless once the buzzards, crows or whatever become used to them not moving and not being a threat.  Moving them regularly keeps them scared.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS