Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Buzzard attacks  (Read 10239 times)

Louise Gaunt

• Joined May 2011
Buzzard attacks
« on: August 03, 2013, 08:18:18 pm »
Hi, has anyone had problems with buzzards attacking and killing hens? I have lost my third hen to attack today. The first was last year. She went killed but died a few days later. It took one of my old hens earlier this year, I saw it swoop but she was almost dead by the time I got there. It killed one earlier today, the carcass was stiff and half eaten when we found her, and it came back this evening and attacked another one. I interrupted the attack and chased it off. Does anyone have suggestions  to how I can prevent this continuing?
Thanks

THE HAPPY POULTRY FARMER

• Joined Jun 2013
Re: Buzzard attacks
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2013, 09:29:38 pm »
Hi we had some succes with laying mirrors flat on the ground were thebirds are ranging they did not seem to like the sun glancing of them and stayed way thanks HPF

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2013, 09:38:41 pm »
At least one of our Scots Grey hens has been taken by a buzzard - OH saw it in the act.  The rest were taken, we assume, by our family of stoats, although the buzzards may have had them too.   So far the larger hens have been alright, and the SG cockerel.

The only real way to prevent these losses is probably to keep the hens in a run with fruit cage mesh over the top.   It's a quandary for us as we like our hens, and the SG in particular, to be pretty much independent and free range.  They sleep inside, but from soon after dawn until dusk they are outside.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2013, 09:39:16 pm »
We have loads of buzzards but they've not touched the chickens. But we do have acres and acres of rough grassland with oodles of voles, so if you have room, leaving tall rough grass areas to give habitat to mice and voles can I believe give buzzards the food they want without taking the chooks.

However it might be harder if the buzzard has got used to taking them specifically. Do you have a cockerel? Or maybe a couple of geese might help?

Louise Gaunt

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2013, 10:12:51 pm »
Thanks for the advice. We have some strings with old CDs on, and there is quite a lo of cover from a large tree and several clumps of long grass for the hens to hide in. We found one of them well hidden in the long grass after the last attack this evening. Covering the run is an option, but I would need to reduce their run area to make it a feasible option.

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2013, 10:16:37 pm »
We always have them circling, my dog actually saw one off not long ago that was attempting to lift a hen. she survived
Soon as we bought in a new cockerel to replace the one that had fly strike, things seemed to be better as he warns them of anything flying overhead with a screech and they all hurtle under a bush!
A friend had her entire flock massacred by buzzards. She ended up with a covered mesh enclosure.
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

bigchicken

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Fife Scotland
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2013, 10:51:05 pm »
Yes had this happen but only took half a dozen bantam youngsters and left the adult birds ended when a buzzards was found dead on the road. Not as bad as my losses to foxes this year, nature is wonderful.
Shetland sheep, Castlemilk Moorits sheep, Hebridean sheep, Scots Grey Bantams, Scots Dumpy Bantams. Shetland Ducks.

oor wullie

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Strathnairn
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2013, 07:43:32 am »
We have plenty buzzards and kites but they have never touched the hens or even the goslings, all of which are free range.  I think the cockerel helps as he does alert the girls if there is a threat.

Like Lachlanandmarcus we have loads of long grass full of voles, mice and rabbits which doubtless provide enough easier prey.  I wonder if there is some way of feeding the birds so they don't need to go for the hens? There  used to be an option under SRDP for leaving carcasses out to feed eagles.

Louise Gaunt

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2013, 08:08:31 am »
We live on the edge of Dartmoor and there is plenty of grassland around us but not many rabbits. We think the buzzard may have also taken a mallard duckling as there are only 7 this morning and the mother is very anxious. We are planning more strings with CDs, bamboo canes to prevent swoops and plastic strips to flap to try and deter further unwelcome visits.

gerpsych

• Joined May 2012
  • Gwynedd
  • The beatings will continue until morale improves
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2013, 03:47:57 pm »
It might be worthwhile having a cockerel with them Our cockerel has seen off a goshawk and since he has been with the girls we haven't lost any further hens. Previously we had lost a fair few.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2013, 04:23:42 pm »
Buzzards are a lot bigger than goshawks.  The youngsters are growing fast at this time of year and it makes the parent birds bolder.  They came down in our neighbour's farmyard and took growers last year, despite many cockerels and 6 sheepdogs.  We hung up strips of foil in the lambing shed to keep out magpies - might work? 

gerpsych

• Joined May 2012
  • Gwynedd
  • The beatings will continue until morale improves
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2013, 07:57:43 pm »
Buzzards are a lot bigger than goshawks.  The youngsters are growing fast at this time of year and it makes the parent birds bolder.  They came down in our neighbour's farmyard and took growers last year, despite many cockerels and 6 sheepdogs.  We hung up strips of foil in the lambing shed to keep out magpies - might work?

That's quite worrisome, hope the foil works

taz08

• Joined Oct 2012
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2013, 08:59:05 am »
or try a plastic owl  on a post,, swivel head

graham-j

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Canterbury Kent
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2013, 09:48:18 am »
Hi,has any one got a picture of a buzzard actually attacking poultry or even video.

Graham.
Graham.

bigchicken

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Fife Scotland
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2013, 01:13:38 pm »
No pictures but have actually caught one in the act so have seen it with my own eyes. The bird in question was a young one.
Shetland sheep, Castlemilk Moorits sheep, Hebridean sheep, Scots Grey Bantams, Scots Dumpy Bantams. Shetland Ducks.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS