Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: . Mycoplasma Gallisepticum Infection  (Read 12241 times)

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
Re: . Mycoplasma Gallisepticum Infection
« Reply #30 on: September 04, 2013, 09:46:54 pm »
How far a part are your runs
They are adjoining but as the grass at the fences is pretty long they don't get too close, the mg free ones are also young hybrids which will be vaccinated.I wonder if the answer would be just to keep vaccinated hybrids?
Anne

TheCaptain

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #31 on: September 05, 2013, 03:05:59 pm »
I started culling two nights ago, cried my eyes out throughout - feel so guilty because I've caused it in the first place. They started to look like they'd all cleared up so we were toying with the idea of keeping them on and vaccinating anything we hatch but then the ones that had it really bad (but were recovering) all started gasping and four of them died overnight which made my mind up. I'd rather know that they had a very quick and pain free death than slowly suffocate because of pneumonia. All of the females were just about to start coming into lay too - some truly beautiful birds, and all individuals with different personalities which makes it so much harder.

Another 50 to go.

:'(

mojocafa

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Angus
« Reply #32 on: September 05, 2013, 08:39:55 pm »
I have decided to cull some of my birds, it's happening tomorrow, I have arranged for someone to come tomorrow and do the deed. The birds that I am going to keep, I am hopeful dont have mg...yet. At the weekend I am going rebuild pens, on a clean area of ground.  Does anyone have any suggestions of what I can do with the area they are currently in , once i have moved them ,to help disinfect it. It is mainly grass.
I know it's only chickens but I have invested so much into them to build up my flock.

I too have cried, captain, nothing to be ashamed of, and for what it's worth, I think your doing the responsible thing,

Mojo
pygmy goats, gsd, border collie, scots dumpys, cochins, araucanas, shetland ducks and geese,  marrans, and pea fowl in a pear tree.

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #33 on: September 05, 2013, 09:08:59 pm »
I really feel for you both-I would be devastated. fwiw you are doing the right thing by your birds but it is not your fault, someone knowingly sold them on.

mojocafa-if you've not already, I would take advice from a poultry vet on this or a commercial poultry operation as it's more of a problem in commercial set ups and so they would have the experience to tell you how to go about safeguarding future birds. Earth/grass is more difficult as I'm sure you're aware but I'd think about liming the hell out of it and resting it as long as possible but also take any professional advice.

TheCaptain

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #34 on: September 05, 2013, 09:18:49 pm »
I'll have to check but I believe that MG only lives as an organism without host for two weeks (or maybe shorter, I'll have to check on DEFRA website). Once they've been off for that period it should be fine to use again - so it's not as bad pasturella or Cocci!!! (Small mercies and all that...)

mojocafa

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Angus
« Reply #35 on: September 05, 2013, 09:27:50 pm »
I have spoken with both vet and poultry organisation, but they both advised give tylan and again more if
They become reinfected, and that may be ok if you just want eggs.

But here is a dilemma I had...

Some poultry enthusiast from Birmingham was interested in my russian orloffs,( so rare they are now officially endangered) he wanted to organise poultry carrier to uplift from me in east Scotland and transport down. How could I possibly put birds on , that may be carriers of this, they could possibly infect every bird being transported. However as of yet the Russians have not displayed any symptoms and I think I will randomly get some of them tested. I was £71 to get 5 other birds tested last week. It's an expensive business!!!  I also had a women from north Scotland interested in the Russians but I had to phone her to tell her they were no longer available.

What does lime do and where do I get it?
pygmy goats, gsd, border collie, scots dumpys, cochins, araucanas, shetland ducks and geese,  marrans, and pea fowl in a pear tree.

mojocafa

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Angus
« Reply #36 on: September 05, 2013, 09:32:06 pm »
You see how at the foot of my posts it ends a partridge in a pear tree, it was probably that bloody partridge that infected us

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #37 on: September 05, 2013, 09:41:18 pm »
calcium hydroxide-I do not know how or if it's effective against mycoplasma, its good against crawling insects, a good fungicide and getting rid of dead bodies a la the mob. Some use it to freshen up permanent pens. But-you have to rest the ground as it will burn chicken feet if just on the surface and it gets wet. There is 'garden' lime which is calcium carbonate which helps reduce soil acidity-so actually also good where there is fresh chicken poop but not as good as killing nasties.

If MG doesn't exist off the host as The Captain says, well just rest the ground as long as possible.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #38 on: September 05, 2013, 10:12:07 pm »
does anyone know if it remains in the houses or the run?

If it is M.G, then thankfully it doesn't remain "off-host" for very long at all. You'd have to look up the actual figures, but I'm pretty sure it's a few days rather than a few weeks.

You all absolutely have my sympathy - been there, done that, hope never to have to go there again (and yes, I cried too)  :'( .
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

mojocafa

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Angus
« Reply #39 on: September 06, 2013, 08:01:58 pm »
Job done,

The guy that did it for me was fantastic, he was so strong and quick. I had the selected birds in a pen and he dispatched 18 birds in about 10 mins. He certainly made it easy for me, wasn't nearly as bad as I anticipated

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS