Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: . Mycoplasma Gallisepticum Infection  (Read 12240 times)

Victorian Farmer

Re: . Mycoplasma Gallisepticum Infection
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2013, 05:58:03 pm »
This is bad iv never had this but culling must be the op shun and start again with new stock

TheCaptain

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2013, 08:45:56 pm »
I've got it in my flock. Devastated so I'm going to have to cull the lot - about 80 birds in total. I got 10 birds from a breeder who was selling up as he had to move. The wanker knew he had it, I also knew he had it but didn't realise it was so so so so infectious - having never had anything like it I was pretty oblivious (ignorant at worst). This bloke has sold over three hundred birds to the unsuspecting public in the South-West.

PM for details
« Last Edit: August 20, 2013, 08:56:44 pm by TheCaptain »

mojocafa

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Angus
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2013, 10:01:29 pm »
Do you think I have to cull my whole flock??? Or just the 4 that I have quarantined . None of my others are showing any symptoms.....Yet
pygmy goats, gsd, border collie, scots dumpys, cochins, araucanas, shetland ducks and geese,  marrans, and pea fowl in a pear tree.

TheCaptain

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2013, 10:23:51 pm »
from what I've read once they've had it they become carriers - frickin horrendous and I'm so mad with myself.  Getting some of the sick ones blood tested - talk to your vet about it for the best course of action.

mojocafa

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Angus
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2013, 10:28:42 pm »
Ok will speak to vet tomorrow, cheers. Have all your hens shown symptoms?
pygmy goats, gsd, border collie, scots dumpys, cochins, araucanas, shetland ducks and geese,  marrans, and pea fowl in a pear tree.

TheCaptain

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2013, 10:33:24 pm »
no, not all, but a soon as they had a sign I dosed them all with Tylan which seems to have worked on the majority of the flock. It is mainly young stock that have the symptoms now so i'm just about to go out and dose them individually. I'm getting them blood tested to definitely confirm it - pastuerella has been mentioned by another breeder I know who has taken some of the birds, but I'm pretty confident as they have that "sweet" smell from the discharge. Totally gutted as we have hatched some absolutely wonderful young stock and have some eggs ready to hatch in about 8 days that may have the disease :( :( :(

:'( 

WoodlandsDevon

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Devon
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2013, 11:51:11 am »
"This bloke has sold over three hundred birds to the unsuspecting public in the South-West."
who was this bloke in the south west?
Khaki Campbells, call ducks and laying hens in sunny Devon

mojocafa

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Angus
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2013, 03:13:22 pm »
Just a wee update on my flock. I had 3 cockerel and 1 hen that presented with this condition . Had one blood tested by vet and it was positive. These 4 were seperated  very quickly from flock. Then took 5 other random hens, different breeds , all  blood tested and the results came back negative , so that's a huuuuuggge relief. :relief:

TheCaptain

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2013, 04:12:59 pm »
"This bloke has sold over three hundred birds to the unsuspecting public in the South-West."
who was this bloke in the south west?

A Polish chap by the name of Arthur, can't think of his last name at the moment. Not just the SW apparently - all the way as far as Manchester...

WoodlandsDevon

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Devon
« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2013, 04:23:15 pm »
"TheCaptain":
do you mean SW England? e.g. Devon, Cornwall, Somerset etc
Khaki Campbells, call ducks and laying hens in sunny Devon

TheCaptain

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2013, 04:27:05 pm »
yes, I do indeed. We're North dorset, he was living near the tip at Castle Cary

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2013, 04:47:18 pm »
Glad your flock sound clear Mojocafa  :relief:
It sounds such an awfulmdisease tomend up with. Both for the flock and for the pocket.

mojocafa

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Angus
« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2013, 07:18:06 pm »
Absolutely gutted, have noticed today some more have . I think I am going to have to cull, I'm devasted, all my birds are rare breeds.

How did you get on the captain?

How common is this infection?

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2013, 07:58:23 pm »
I have it in some of my birds, I brought it in from Lanark auctions, if I were to cull them it would only leave me with 12 which are in a separate pen and are clear, does anyone know if it remains in the houses or the run? I dosed them all with Baytril, which meant binning all the eggs for 28 days, it has been suggested that I give them Tylan as that has no withdrawal. At the moment I am getting about 18 eggs a day from 30 birds, not a very good return on all the feed they are eating
Anne

mojocafa

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Angus
« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2013, 08:29:17 pm »
How far a part are your runs

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS