Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Worst year for redmite?!  (Read 19214 times)

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
Re: Worst year for redmite?!
« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2013, 02:40:23 pm »
It took about 3 years of keeping chickens before we had our first sighting of red mite! The dandruff analogy is good, especially round cracks on perch ends they are just little, tiny red (or grey if hungry) dots that move! they are a bit shiny too.
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #31 on: August 01, 2013, 04:35:13 pm »
Listen for clacking beaks as they settle down at night - the red mite are on the move!  I'd never have a T & G house or a felt roof again. I tried a heavy duty recycled plastic house last year but even with a thick layer of shavings and sawdust and the vents wide open the inside ran with condensation during the winter and I had to move the hens out.

The red mite get blown about in the wind and are really hard to stop spreading to other houses. I line the floors with split plastic feed sacks, split paper feed sacks on top held down with old terracotta tiles and a layer of shavings on top.  When I clean out houses I do it in the morning when mites will be full of blood and not so lively and lift the tiles, which is where they'll be hiding.  I just roll up all the  bedding  like a carpet and put it in an old oil drum and burn it.  If I move hens from one house to another I also do that in the morning so they don't take any mites with them to new housing.

Heather B

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Llangwm Corwen
« Reply #32 on: August 03, 2013, 06:35:58 pm »
Went away for a week and left 18 year old in charge! - came back andspotted what I think are red mite - a couple of red patches inside the coop door and nest box lid.  Have sprayed with Smite and re-sprayed again and doused two coops with red mite powder but not convinced this has worked.  Egg production has decreased rapidly - only 3 eggs today from 14 hens (although two batteries don't lay).  Something's wrong - our Orpington Russell looks very sad; she may perhaps be moulting.  They are all still eating and undertaking the usual great escape into the garden but never had red mite before - I suspect the creosote thing sounds the best although has anyone tried jet washing?  Is there a solution the chucks can be dipped in rather than the usual powder application which is always an eventful task?   :thinking:

melholly

• Joined Oct 2010
  • East Sussex
    • My Blog
« Reply #33 on: August 05, 2013, 04:12:53 pm »
We've discovered an infestation for the first time ever this year too. Horrible little bu....

Cleaned out, jet washed, Jeyes Fluided, rinsed off, sprayed with Red Mite kill pink thing, doused hens in powder, powdered house, relaid new bedding.

So far this is the 2nd time in a week of this routine! Nothings come back as bad as the 'discovery' but they are still present in small numbers each morning - very few this morning.

My hens have been odd too. Seem thinner, bald chests, scruffy wing feathers and not the usual 'cast iron guarantee in all weathers' eggs per day. Eggs smaller too... a friend thought they may be about to go broody. I suspected the cockerel was now too big (Brahma) but maybe it's the mites??

Annoying thing was I discovered the infestation a day after I'd moved the first broody out so now take life into hands powdering her!!
Mx
http://selfridgestoscats.blogspot.com  **NOW UPDATED**
twitter - @southscouse

Heather B

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Llangwm Corwen
« Reply #34 on: August 05, 2013, 10:08:29 pm »
Snap, melholly.  Removed a broken egg this morning and felt and saw a couple on my hand.  Convinced myself our 'infestation' wasn't that bad but am now totally stressed out with it all.  Husband brought home some NetX concentrate stuff which I am going to try - Smite does not work and the mites look funny crawling around covered in white barrier red mite powder!  Going to jet wash tomorrow if I can find a hose long enough and do the coop again.  Our other coop seems okay but I am doing that one as well.  Have ordered some diatomacous powder too from Amazon; girls are constantly preening!  have just put some newspaper in coop tonight - the inside looks like the top of a Xmas cake!
Have a look on poultrykeeper.com.  They have a really good article on red mite and how to get rid of them.
Best of luck!

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
« Reply #35 on: August 06, 2013, 08:18:41 am »
Having kept up with this thread, I now find myself infected  :o :o

I have 3 coops in the overnight run and the hens mostly pack into the biggest one, I had a minor mite issue  a year or so ago and everything was cleaned out and treated and every hen sprayed (thanks to doganjo as I couldn't catch them let alone catch and spray effectively!).  Have used diatom at the perch ends and liberally dusted about the coops every week and mixed in the shavings in the egg boxes tho mostly they lay outdoors while free ranging.

But when I went to check for eggs last night there was a huge red mite population on the liftout lid of the boxes  :o and my guess is they've hidden under the metal tray in the supposedly pull out easy cleaning base which has been warped and stuck for 18 months - way beyond me to tug free..  Which means if that many are visible, then it must be crawling under there  :o :o

One hen is in heavy moult, the one I thought had heat stroke a couple of weeks ago, one has a bald bum from where a visitor's spaniel caught it by the tail feathers  ::) and the wee runty deformed ex commercial is as pecked as ever, but the rest look fine feather wise.  They spend at least 12 hours out of the run and up to 15 depending on weather/daylight, had woodash dustbaths til they wore them out, and seem quite happy.  Egg production is low for the time of year and numbers but usually I find a stash every week or so despite daily searches of the garden and barn and nearest areas of the fields so I just assumed I was missing some but maybe it's the mites..

I am seriously contemplating closing the coop door and making them squish into the other 2 coops as they see fit, leaving the popholes open as usual so they can come and go within the run area while in it.  Rather than let them choose to go back in there, as they seem oblivious. 

Or even just feeding them corn in the run as usual to count heads and visually check but leave the gate open so they become completely free range and again can roost anywhere EXCEPT in that coop.  I think they'll be displeased with the forced change of habit, but should adapt?

I have red mite powder, I have spray, I have diatom, I think I still even have creosote (am sorting in the garage this week and it looks worse than usual while I do so, but I've not found it so far to check if it's "real" or not..)  But I'm totally creeped out at the idea of leaning in the sides and nestboxes to even do the usual muck out by glove, let alone start scrubbing, and I think painting inside it will be impossible due to the design.  Anyone want to volunteer brave souls (or their kids perhaps  ;) ) or would you just shut it up and make the hens homeless until they adapt to full free range.

In which case how do you encourage them to roost higher off the ground for safety, rather than on pile of twigs or kindling stack?

Gross, nightmares, yuk!!! :-\
Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #36 on: August 06, 2013, 01:52:52 pm »
Just ordered some diatomaceous earth from ebay 25 kg bag for £24.99. Things are so bad I think I'm going to need lots  :o 
Anne

melholly

• Joined Oct 2010
  • East Sussex
    • My Blog
« Reply #37 on: August 06, 2013, 03:26:21 pm »
I've never heard of this diatom... Going to investigate now! Hen house this morning showed no obvious signs of the horrid things. Of course, ill bet that's down to a new army of them just biding their time before hatching out!
Mx
http://selfridgestoscats.blogspot.com  **NOW UPDATED**
twitter - @southscouse

harefarm

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Winchester
« Reply #38 on: August 06, 2013, 03:58:33 pm »
I don't know how to move my post but here is a link to a recipe that I was emailed about. I haven't yet tried it but will.

http://www.accidentalsmallholder.net/forum/index.php?topic=36394.0

If it does really work and help it is worth it.

Pedwardine

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Lincolnshire
« Reply #39 on: August 06, 2013, 05:56:26 pm »
I've just moved my four broodies out of the way to get their eggs and feel all itchy now! We've had the blighters before but like others got away without for our first few years of keeping chucks. I think once you've got them you can never completely eradicate them. They're like the bug version of ground elder! We had a coop chicken free for a good eighteen months which was still crawling with red mites when we came to use it again.
Oooh, I need a shower...

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #40 on: August 07, 2013, 01:04:01 pm »
We had a T & G house which was heat-gunned, power-washed and sunk into the farm pond for three weeks.  We dried it out and left it unoccupied through the coldest winter we've had here (-13 deg.)  Opened it up the following summer - yup, there they were.  Now knock together my own from odd bits of wood and external ply, creosoted.  If red mite occurs I just burn them- it's not so upsetting if they're cheap. 

mentalmilly

• Joined Nov 2012
« Reply #41 on: August 07, 2013, 02:09:57 pm »
I have sprayed, used mite powder and diatom, but the most satisfaction l get killing the things is the blow torch.  Not set fire to the shed yet.  Having to do this daily and can actually see them reduce in numbers.  Going to try the recipe with citronella next, it sounds worth a try.  The little b----rs are evolving into super mites.

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #42 on: August 07, 2013, 06:46:48 pm »
How long do they last on humans?  I went in and I am not too well at the moment with bad allergies sooo, no way do I want more itchy skin....yet I came back in and I am sure some went into my bed.....not many only the odd little tickle but I did wonder  how long they last, maybe I need a creosote bath :innocent:

harefarm

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Winchester
« Reply #43 on: August 07, 2013, 07:02:00 pm »
Please let us know how you get on Mentalmilly.

Just the thought of creepy crawlies make me itch - says she living in the countryside with thousands of them. When we moved here I set fire to the old hen house and the birds had to put up with a rabbit hutch for a few weeks because of mites. It didn't matter what I did I couldn't get rid of them.

Once I get the Methylated spirit I will mix up the recipe more for prevention as I haven't seen any yet. I think I may go in with a torch after dark tonight just to make sure though.

mentalmilly

• Joined Nov 2012
« Reply #44 on: August 07, 2013, 07:02:58 pm »
I have been over my bed with a magnifying glass before now and yesterday my daughter found 3 in my hair.  Tried to wash them out of my hair but they are bomb-proof. They tickle so l knew where they were.  Dont think they last long, am told they dont like the taste of humans.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS