Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Darkbrowneggs - giving up all poultry - last lot of Marans for sale chicks £5  (Read 15393 times)

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
Hi all - as in my previous posts I am selling my property so all the poultry is being sold.  A lot of the breeding stock has gone to new homes the length and breadth of the country, but it all being such a quick decision the incubator was still on with eggs in (couldn't bear to just switch it off) 

So I have some really good quality Marans chicks for sale £5 each.  Really dark brown egg laying strain and nice healthy looking chicks.  Will need to be collected from Worcestershire asap so I can get the barn swept out ready to market the property

There are also a few Cream Legbars very good quality and from excellent layers of good blue eggs.  See www.blue-eggs.co.uk for piccies of the stock.  Some chicks and some young growers.  Pullet chicks £10-£15 each
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Jings, this is a surprise  :o

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
Oh gosh, I wish I'd asked for eggs from you this year. Too far to collect and love the look of your legbars  :-\
It seems I missed your posts about selling up. Wishing you good luck.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Hmm, my daughter has just tonight arrived in Worcestershire on holiday - wonder if they'd manage to sneak a few hens up for me?  Well maybe not - hope you manage tore home them all soon, Sue. And good luck in the next stage of your life. :love:
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
I have tried to place the best breeding stock with people I hope will look after them and take the lines forward, and intend to  keep in touch with them.

For the moment I shall keep the www.darkbrowneggs.info  and the www.blue-eggs.co.uk sites going as there is so much useful information on them and assuming all goes well with the breeders who have taken the birds on I can forward enquiries

I have so much to organize at present as being a huge place, I have 25 years of accumulated "stuff" to sort out, plus all the "stuff" I brought with me from the previous 25 years, and Mum's and Grandma's "stuff" which seems to have washed up here.

The current plan is to travel for a while as I feel I need a real change and break to re-assess things plus I worked out that I have only had 7 holidays over my lifetime and 2 of those were school trips.  :o   So I feel a bit of a tour round this country to see all the bits I havent ever got to, and maybe a bit more adventurous later if it all goes well

My lovely Great Dane will need to be with me , so I am currently researching campervan type things (never even been inside one as yet) which hopefully will suit us both  :thinking:  and which I will be able to cope with (I am not all that agile at present)  so if anyone has advice/hints/tips please get in touch

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
PS - Thanks Doganjo - I am round pretty well most of the time so tell her to pop by if she would like to  :eyelashes:

By the way I have "re-homed" the Peony to a very grateful friend, and my brother is coming next Tuesday and wants the cactus and orchidy things you very kindly sent. 

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
I'd have had some like a shot if I'd been closer, going to look at some CL chicks this morning to keep my solo CL x chick company when I let mum out but always wanted Marans, particularly the coppers..

Still, there's a part of me still knows I'm closer to giving up than I admit, and if I could sell the ponies I want to for prices I want to homes I want.. well, maybe one day  ::)

If you ever need somewhere to park your camper and your Dane is hen and cat and pony friendly, I've a big drive and you'd be welcome to stop over on your way through Fife  :)   I love Danes, always wanted one but welcome an opp to meet one without the cost and commitment of another animal long term  ;)
Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
That's really kind.   :eyelashes:

I have never been farther North than Blackpool on an outing as a child. So Scotland and the Islands is deffo on my list - I am hoping I might arrange getting to the very far north in the hopes of seeing The Northern Lights, which is something I have always wanted to do and apparently 2013 could be a good year for them.  Also those wonderful Megalithic Tombs and Stone Circles - and I've never been to Ireland either, so there should be lots to keep me interested whilst I re-charge my batteries

Great Danes are lovely in general, and I have kept them since the 60's, but my Phoebe is one of a kind, absolutely wonderful dog, and very knowing, the sort of dog that when you say "she understands every word I say" she really does.  She's not a chaser of anything, in fact I have a photo of her and a slightly unwell young grower sunbathing together outside the back door last year, and if she comes into the poultry runs with me she just stands around and all the littlies run round her feet.  :)

Victorian Farmer

as you no i came from south to the highlands very slow way of life no crime etc .So yes go for it there are some fantastic places best my fav                                                                                                                Historic Scotland | Scottish Ten: St Kilda          SCOTLAND- ST. KILDA 1908 - OUTER HEBRIDES - BIRDS - OLD FILM - RUNRIG

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
You are very welcome here too, Sue - I have had my sister's motorhome (a huge Sundance) parked here for a few months . It's now gone so plenty room for yours and a  Great Dane sized a run if you want to explore the are without her. I would suggest you buy a modern van with just enough room for the two of you, rather than a bigger older one - I made that mistake and found I was unable to handle it too well, so hardly used it. You should still have my address and contact details, feel free to get in touch. x
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
I am really surprised to read all of this but it sounds as if the decision will be a good one for you. It was seeing your avatar pic that made me get a couple of marans and I am very happy with their dark brown eggs.
If you fancy going to Carmarthenshire I have a bit of land you could park up on for a day or two as well.
Wishing you all the best when you finally get on the move.
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
I wish you well in your new life ......I can relate to the not having a holiday part of your post.  Last time I went away was 1988 to the New Forest. That's as far South as I have been, and have been to Scotland, as far as Ben Nevis, and that's it.  Livestock mean no holidays. 

If you set off on your travels, and want to stop off for a few Days round Derbyshire, we have plenty of room in our fields for a camper van - stunning view of  Kinder Scout and Lyme Park stately home at the bottom of the road, and lots of other interesting places round about ....oh, and all our livestock to see of course!!

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
Be good to have visitors that are smallholding friendly, don't need too much hostessing or an immaculate environment indoors or out  ;)   If you wanted a wee holiday run for your van before all the chicks go, feel free to deliver  ;D and better still strap a shed or coop on the roof while you're at it  :innocent:
Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
That's really kind of all of you, and I may well take up some of the offers once I get started  :thumbsup: :D :thumbsup:

I was wondereing what size of van?  For years I had a small Luton type van for moving furniture round, it was a long wheel base so around 15 16 ft I would guess and that zipped along quite easily and quickly. I often thought I could have lived in it  :roflanim:   

But I will need enough floor space for Phoebe to be comfortable and also as I am not that mobile now for walking long distances I had thought of getting one with a "garage"  ..... I know I couldn't imagine that, but apparently there are lots.

If I stayed at farms, farm shop, pub type stopovers I can't imaging maneuvering it about would be all that difficult, and if I had a mobility type scooter I could park up outside any built up areas and drive in for shopping/sight seeing if I wanted to. 

Anyway that is the current thinking, and if it didnt work I could trade it in for something else.  As I say any input gratefully accepted as this is all very new to me. :o

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
 :o sorry to hear your giving up, as you know I was wanting some of your eggs but missed out
Had you not been so far away I would have definatly been buying your chicks
Graham

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS