Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Coccidiosis  (Read 11415 times)

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
Re: Coccidiosis
« Reply #30 on: July 28, 2013, 08:40:01 am »
From memory, the secretary of Worcestershire goat society told us that the Chief Vet for the BGS has stated that any vet with insufficient experience in goat medicine or any needing extra input can, at any time, phone him for the most up to date information, research and advice. I have told my vet this before but to be fair (with the exception of severely messed up disbudding) our farm vets are very good and don't see goats as a variant of sheep so thats a result!
Am slightly concerned about the whole panacur debarcle though! what?!?! Panacur just has no  place in goat keeping these days, even I know that one!  we lost one of our goats and I do feel that he'd still be here had it been for a goat savvy vet.     
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
« Reply #31 on: July 28, 2013, 09:27:25 am »
While I may moan about our vet from time to time, usually about money, but to be fair when we need him he's pretty good, he doesn't have a huge amount of experience with goats (not many do it appears) he'll go away and look up whatever we need him for and get back to us, better that than just guessing. Had to call him last night with a goat with suspected mastitis.
Hope you get this sorted out, for your own peace of mind, would you go to a doctor who didn't seem to know what they were doing?
keeper of goats, sheep, pigs, ducks, chickens, turkeys, dogs, cats, goldfish and children, just don't ask me which is the most work!

Zoobec

• Joined Jul 2013
« Reply #32 on: July 28, 2013, 11:08:37 am »
I am still  on the hunt for a goat savvy vet, the goat veterinary society gave me a name of one but no telephone number, and I think he must not now be practicing because I can't find him on the Internet at all. I shan't be using the current vet again, just far too many basic errors and I have no faith in them whatsoever. They're almost useless.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #33 on: July 28, 2013, 11:32:13 am »
Yeh, I'd have lost faith too.

I'm lucky, my vets are really good, down to earth farm vets, and they regard it as their business to find out about goat stuff if they don't already know. They also seem to have a culture in the practice, of 'keeping learning', which I like too, so I feel I can trust them.

wytsend

• Joined Oct 2010
  • Okehampton
« Reply #34 on: July 28, 2013, 12:15:36 pm »
Zoobec................ring GVS again and tell Nick Clayton that you were unable to make contact with the name he gave you, apart from anything else , he can update the records.    But he will do whatever he can to put you in touch with somebody.

Zoobec

• Joined Jul 2013
« Reply #35 on: July 28, 2013, 12:48:44 pm »
Will ring Nick Clayton again, I'll leave it till tomorrow with today being Sunday...  The others he had on his list were too far away :(

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS