Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Coccidiosis  (Read 11424 times)

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
Re: Coccidiosis
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2013, 09:18:42 pm »
That's crazy!

I forgot to say, the other coccidiocide (killer of coccidia) is intradine, which is what people used before Baycox. Baycox is the better drug, but if all someone has is intradine, that'll do the job.

Zoobec

• Joined Jul 2013
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2013, 09:36:49 pm »
Thanks for that,will see what I can get hold of tomorrow

Pedwardine

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Lincolnshire
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2013, 10:40:16 pm »
What a waste of space your vet is :rant: A dreadful lack of care. You simply cannot delay with Coccidiosis. A stomach lining doesn't repair itself and the animals slowly starves to death. It's the most awful experience I've had. I'd complain about her once you've got this under control and I really pray you do. Our sheep's droppings were like water before we knew what we were dealing with. Eight died, two of which we had to help along as they were suffering so. It honestly doesn't sound like you've got to that stage but it progresses so fast it's terrifying. The sheep who survived it (with treatment-we used Vecoxan on EVERY lamb as soon as we knew it was cocci) are doing fine now though some have grown so slowly and some of this years lambs are overtaking them in size. Once you've had it, you'll always need to be vigilant so I've been watching this year's lot like a hawk.
Hope you catch it in time.

cuckoo

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2013, 11:23:37 pm »
Try contacting Heeley City Farm at Sheffield - they have goats and use their vet.  They may also have some vecoxan you can buy from them??

Zoobec

• Joined Jul 2013
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2013, 11:32:55 pm »
Thanks everyone! Just had a very sheepish visit from my vet with Intradine, both kids have had first dose of that and I've been left with another 4 days follow up jabs. I've asked for prescription of Baycox as although I can't get it locally I can order it online. One of the kids (or could be both i didnt see who did them) has done some lovely tiny droppings for me tonight :) I feel so exhausted with the stress of it all, its been a farce. Will contact heeley city farm and find out who they use :)  I just hope they'll be ok. They're fine in themselves anyway.

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2013, 12:51:26 am »
I have moved vets due to several disasters they had with my goats....the ones we have now have designated horse, small animal, and farm animal vets, and so far, I cannot fault their care. Unfortunately they are in Cheshire so not much use to you.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2013, 02:40:28 am »
Oh good, at least the kids have had what they need now! Did the vet realise they'd got it wrong then?

Zoobec

• Joined Jul 2013
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2013, 05:56:13 am »
The vet claimed that the panomec was given so that they would have some treatment yesterday as I had requested !?!? But if we hadn't looked up the panomec and discovered that its just a wormer I'm not sure what would have happened. We'd rung the practice to complain that my husband had made a 15 mile round trip to get some treatment and been given panomec. As they said they didn't have any baycox you would have hoped that the next port of call would be the intradine, it would seem that the senior vet suggested that after we complained about the wormer..... In my opinion it would seem that really the kids should have had some treatment for coccidiosis on the original call out over a week ago on the basis it could be that. These are my first goats and I trusted the vets decisions on the basis that they must know more than me, but me and my kids were let down and I'm just hoping and praying that they will be ok.

wytsend

• Joined Oct 2010
  • Okehampton
« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2013, 06:35:59 am »
This is such a basic error by the Vet/Practice that it calls into question their Duty of Care.
I would formally write a letter of complaint detailing dates/times of visits etc whilst it is fresh in your mind...............also send a copy to Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons.
The least the practice can do is not charge you for this fiasco.
I have had a similar experience with a local practice, tho not with Cocci...................which resulted in many exchanges of words, letters etc.  My case was to do with Listeria & a request to put a goat down.
The newly qualified Vet refused to do so on the grounds that the goat was improving !!!!!!   After 40 years of experience I knew this wasn't going to happen.    Sufffice to say, the whole thing was a mess.
With the symptoms you had, be it lambs or kids, the first thing you do , is treat for Cocci...............standard practice.
Panomec, Panacur is not much use for goats anyway.............it goes thro the system without any effect.
As a point of info....................only use Ivermectin wormers on goats, this DOES work.

Zoobec

• Joined Jul 2013
« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2013, 07:06:08 am »
Yes, I am going to complain in writing to them. I've already paid for the visit I had last week, but they aren't charging me for last nights visit or the drugs. But the money isn't the point it's the fact that my kids could be damaged long term or I could lose them by delayed treatment. I'm going to get a new vet, but I wouldn't want anyone else or their animals to suffer because of future errors that the current vet practice might make.....

wytsend

• Joined Oct 2010
  • Okehampton
« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2013, 10:37:18 am »
Good for you............
If you contact the Goat Veterinary Society & speak to the Secretary,  he can advise which practise/vets are member of that Society.............at least this way, the vet/s in question are likely to have an interest in goats.
Just Google the GVS and their website will come up...................if you have problems, I have the number.

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2013, 10:46:21 am »
When animals are ill, people trust their vet to make a diagnosis,and treat them, and hopefully make them better.  In all my years of goat keeping,I have come to realise, that vets know very little about goats - and they have admitted this to me.  I get the usual tale of this is not licensed on goats, but we use it on sheep ......but if there is no other option that has to do.

Last year,3 of my goat kids were booked in for disbudding. The vet did not weigh of them, but just jabbed them one after the other.  They went under too fast - and I pointed this out.  Having had goats for a long time, you do realise when something has gone wrong.  The young vet(just out of vet school) yelled for another young vet, scooped up 3 by this time limp kids, who were struggling to breathe, and ran off upstairs.  They only have two oxygen tents, so God knows what they did with the third.  20 minutes later I heard them bleat, and vet arived back with them.

Firstly she tried to say it was the goat kids at fault(!) then there was something wrong with the needle .....all three needles?  The truth was she did not weigh my kids, and overdosed them.

One of the kids then was ill as a result of the vet drilling into its brain, and had it not been for me ringing Wytsend, and her advising me to ring  the BGS vet, we would have lost that kid....the BGS vet kindly spoke with our vet, and told her what to give the goat (she was at a loss what to do).
I complained strongly to the owner of the practice and then moved my business elsewhere. 

Zoobec

• Joined Jul 2013
« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2013, 01:59:02 pm »
Wytsend, Good idea about the goat veterinary society, I'll get on to that one. I don't want to be in a situation where I am not happy with the vets ability.
Roxy, what an awful time that must have been. All I can say is its a good job you knew something was wrong....

I'd like to thank everyone so much for your help, I can't tell you how much I appreciate it, especially with me being a complete newbie to the forum and to goat keeping. I've really felt so much better able to deal with the situation with your advice and hopefully my kids will be ok. It was so frustrating yesterday trying to get help for them, I felt like the vet was working against me not with me....

jinglejoys

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2013, 06:36:50 pm »
Thats why I objct to having to use vets at all  they do crap jobs,don't listen and then have the cheek to charge a fortune for OUR services!The disbudding thing is the biggest con out,prices jumped overnight when it became compulsonary to only use a vet or DIY,from £2.50 to £15 +VAT and  in 15 yrs I rarely had a kid that didn't grow scurs or end up looking like a unicorn till I gave up wasting my money.Once a few years ago I "sold" my goats to another breeder so they could do it...out of 15  kids not one grew even the  tiniest scure and had no  after affects.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #29 on: July 27, 2013, 10:48:55 pm »
Zoobec, I am shocked at the inefficiency of your vet. Why can they not admit if they don't know something and then seek advice?

I am fortunate that one of the vets at our practice is experienced with goats, so I always ask for him if I am worried. He'll give advice over the phone as well.

I hope your letter of complaint gets something done and that you manage to find a decent vet who's not too far from you.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS