Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Advice on Jack Russell terriers wanted  (Read 12898 times)

ukag0972

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Argyll
Re: Advice on Jack Russell terriers wanted
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2009, 07:03:58 pm »
I have a JR (aged 3), we got her as a present for my then 5 year old. She now is my dog as she spends all day with me, either working with sheep, pigs or any other task.
She is an excellent worker in a sheep fank and takes no prisoners when working with the pigs. She likes to think she is boss and has the distinct impression that she is higher in the pecking order than even my husband, but she gets reminders of her position in our house.
I trust her with kids and she knows to get out of any situation that might not work in her favour.

I'm a firm believer that dogs are what you make them. They are born with certain traits but most of their behaviour is the way they are treated.

You get out what you put in!!!

Rosey

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Lincolnshire UK
    • UKNaturepics.com
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2009, 07:52:16 pm »
My mum is 86 and got her first jack russell last year (poor phil drabble, old lady with jack russell)
she walks about five miles a day with her and crackle has turned out to be a brilliant dog.  She gets a sniff of a rabbit though and she is off but does come back if mums walks off!

I have never been fond of small dogs only ever having a gun dog and collies but would have one like crackle any day!

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2009, 04:52:05 pm »
A couple of weeks in to JR ownership and I have the scars to prove it!  I am worried that I am being too strict - but am starting puppy classes next week (for me probably more than the dog!)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2009, 06:06:17 pm »
So long as you don't smack your pup you will not be too strict - use the bad cop, good cop routine.  Iron hand in velvet glove.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2009, 10:39:44 am »
I don't smack him - but I took him round to his "sisters" yesterday and she gets smacked by her owner and I was quite shocked.  (Mind you - it works  :()

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2009, 03:14:25 pm »
A wee smack on teh bottom like you might a child does no harm, but if you smack a dog's face it becomes what we call 'hand shy' and will be wary of anyone.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

BlackRocks

• Joined Jul 2009
  • Wokingham, Near Reading, Berkshire
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2009, 08:52:09 pm »
We have a JR. My late mother got him from a rescue home when he was about 4 years old. He had escaped from his original owner three times at least and in the end they couldn't keep paying to get him back! Clue 1 to what JR's are like. If they can find a way to get out they will! While mum had him she had to chase him down the road on more than one occasion! Then unfortunately my mother became ill and 'Dino' came to live with us. After my mother passed away in Jan 2008 that was it he was officially inherited! He's lovely, we all adore him and wouldn't be without him now. But my husband does call him the little sh*t! He is a rascal. He can't be taken out and let off, has to be on a lead at all times. He is a fantastic guard dog though and very loyal.
He can be taught new tricks and is very affectionate. However, be warned even when they are 10 years old as Dino is now he still thinks he's a pup and acts accordingly. Oh and if he's down the garden and in a world of his own he wont come for anyone no matter how much you call him, try to bribe him with treats etc. He sniffs constantly and will eat anything he finds lying around even though he knows he shouldn't. I love him to bits but he is a rascal and you have to be on the ball with him. You have been warned!!!
Oh by the way my profile pic shows the other thing he likes doing best ie sleeping!
« Last Edit: July 29, 2009, 09:12:20 pm by BlackRocks »

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS