Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Advice on Jack Russell terriers wanted  (Read 12899 times)

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
Advice on Jack Russell terriers wanted
« on: March 20, 2009, 11:14:38 am »
Never owned a dog before let alone a terrier but always wanted one.  Now at a stage when I can devote time and energy to it and I have the space I am thinking of buying a Jack Russell from a local breeder.  The Mum is a very quiet tempered, wonderful dog - what chance her pups will be the same?  Any advice from any terrier owners out there?

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Advice on Jack Russell terriers wanted
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2009, 11:22:11 am »
Try to find out what the sire is like as well, and any other relatives - if this is a regular breeder he may have some aunts, uncles, cousins anyway.  If it is a puppy farmer find someone else to get your pup from.  I think JRs are super little dogs and would love to have one if I wasn't already 'over-dogged'  Check the Kennel Club website for any health problems and make sure your breeder has done the required checks - that goes for any breed.  My breed has some Hip Dysplasia - many Labradors have it too - as an Accredited Breeder I am obliged to have all my breeding stock hip scored and I never breed any that come back higher the the breed average.  I think JRs are fairly healthy but better safe than sorry.  Hope that helps but feel free to PM me if I can help further.  I've been a breeder for about 30 years (occasional rather than prolific though ;D).

KC puppy link here - http://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/item/384  There are no requirements for this breed, but there is an eye test recommendation which your breeder should have details of.

Annie
« Last Edit: March 20, 2009, 11:27:59 am by doganjo »
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2009, 11:43:32 am »
Thanks Annie!  The breeders have checked out - all seems well.  I've read a lot of info on the breed, a lot of which says "don't do it" - yet I know that the breeder knows his stuff and have friends who have bought from him and been happy - I am just a bit nervous I suppose! (Which I think is good?)  I'll let you know what happens.  Thanks again

stephen

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Kent
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2009, 11:49:13 am »
hello, weve got a jack russell, mum is a parsons dad is a minature shes called gloria. she is the sweetest most loving little girl who just wants to kiss anyone and everone, however jack russells aernt like your average dog! she (at just over one) is the boss of the old man lab cross and two bull mastiff's and ran rings around our beloved sophie (alsation) until unfortunatley she was put to sleep 6 months ago. she is such a clever little thing but very naughty, she used to eat anything - remote controlls, mobiles, cd's, dvd's, duvets the cats food, all the other dogs food but has luckly grown out of it now! her latest escipade was to climb up the rockery along the wall onto the garage roof and god only knows how jump off the other side and go for a walk down the road until she was spotted by a neighbour and returned! she managed to get herself pregnant all while my oh was on the phone! she's just had her litter of very healthy girls and boys all of whom have homes with friends and family members. she is booked in to be spayed next month! her mum and dad were just like her - overley affectionate and very clever so i think you can tell alot from the parents, be warned tho you will need to keep your bundle of joy very busy, gloria never runs out of energy and will not let you sleep in if she wants to play! she is also highly protective, always the first to show teeth if she thinks either myself or my oh are being threatened and will happily place herself in front of us, normally against much bigger dogs, this however is rare but its nice to know she makes a good guard dog! oh and when she was younger she had some bladder control issues ie whenever i got in from work she would get so excited she would do a little wee - normally on me! but it looks like she has grown out of this as well! we brough gloria from a friend so we knew how the parents were kept and treated! make sure you check out the breeders home if in any doubt walk away. The KC (mentioned by annie )have an accredited breeder scheme. this of course is just my experience with gloria, dogs are all different! good luck and post some pics so we can all see!!  ;D :dog:

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Near Stirling, Central Scotland
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2009, 11:50:15 am »
Jr are little sod lol, but lovable with it.
You can normally tell a jr temperament within a couple of hours of being in your company.

btw my mum has a jr cross Japanese chin and she recommend reading Marley and me !
as she has found some other the trick handy in it lol
« Last Edit: March 20, 2009, 11:53:40 am by Fluffywelshsheep »

Pigtails

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Scotland
    • 29brawl
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2009, 08:24:01 pm »
Never owned a dog before let alone a terrier but always wanted one.  Now at a stage when I can devote time and energy to it and I have the space I am thinking of buying a Jack Russell from a local breeder.  The Mum is a very quiet tempered, wonderful dog - what chance her pups will be the same?  Any advice from any terrier owners out there?

Jack Russell, not for the faint hearted.
They are mindful, full of their own needs and yours do not matter.
Training? will you be training him or will he be training you?

I'd think twice, if I had never owned one.
Pigtails

sandy

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2009, 09:49:07 pm »
Does anyone remember Phil Drabble? He was a presenter on one man and his dog, he said he hate to see little old ladies with Jack Russels, like the name implies, they are little terrors. I had a pretty Patterdale, he was very cute and lovable, he was an escape artist so cost us a fortune in reinforcement, he weed everywhere, even after being castrated, he chased Everything, he chewed things up, buried things, was fussy about his food yet took all the bones from our Rottie Cross, he also used to drag him places by his collar and nip his legs from underneath, we could never trust him off lead, he barked when left alone, and he tore thing up, saying that, he was very good with children and loved a cuddle, sadly he ran out the front door one day and was run over at the age of 2, a pretty and cute dog but sooooooo much trouble, yes, I am glad I now have Labradors, Terriers are TERRORS!!!!! :dog:

garden cottage

• Joined Sep 2008
  • forest of dean
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2009, 09:55:21 pm »
I think jack russels make excellent pets, my bitch tess will be 2 in august turned out to be very good in the house, on walks weve found a halter to be better because of their size, they are the most amazingly loyal dogs and very protective, they also have a sixth sense when visitors call and can warn you well in advance of strangers. ours is tri colour short leg smooth coat, came from a farm litter in wales and yes i saw the mum who had a lovely nature. best of luck dont be put off this breed...............neil

BadgerFace

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Sussex
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2009, 10:18:38 am »
I love JR's, but then I am a 'terrier person'. All the terriers we have ever owned, we have known both the parents, sometimes grandparents and Aunts/Uncles - recommendation is the best way to find a puppy ;)

I have two Patterdales at the moment, one is 14 years old and the best dog I've ever known, the other is only 18 months and just as lovely- both great with children, cats and all livestock. Millie the old lady has looked after many sock lambs in her time. We used to have Wire haired Fox terriers, beautiful dogs, but buggers with digging and jumping out ! All terriers need plenty of exercise to keep their minds focused, even better if they have a job. Theres much fun to be had ratting in the barn on a wet day  ;D

Good luck, and looking forward to the puppy pic's  ;D
Breeder of Pedigree Torddu Badger Face Welsh Mountain Sheep & Anglo Nubian Goats

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2009, 06:23:31 pm »
We have a 6 year old Jack Russell, having always had large dogs i never thought I would take to a small one but i have to say he is the love of my life ( dog wise ) Great with my grand children. does love to hunt so when out and about I watch him like a hawk. Kills rats as if its a great game. We have three other dogs of which two are German Shepherds anything they can do Jake does just as well. He sits, stays, heels and send aways. they do need firm handling but I would not be without my little guy  :dog: :)

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2009, 09:46:25 am »
Thanks for all the good words (and warnings!).  The Mum had a caesarian on Saturday and had a litter of 5 - all healthy.  Very excited about going to see them this week, but will try not to be over emotional when I see them.  Will keep you updated.

sandy

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2009, 09:59:19 am »
How nice, poor mum, must have been a bit traumatic for her!!! As much as I strugged with my Terrier, he was very sadly missed, he was a lovable and funny dog :)

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2009, 04:44:08 pm »
Sprocket has arrived!  All is well, despite not being used to sharp teeth - and toilet training has started.  Absolutely amazed how quickly he learns!  When I have found out how to post pictures - I will!

BadgerFace

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Sussex
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2009, 04:59:07 pm »
Congratulations  ;D

Looking forward to the 'baby' pic's   :dog:
Breeder of Pedigree Torddu Badger Face Welsh Mountain Sheep & Anglo Nubian Goats

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2009, 05:03:53 pm »
ooh super!  You will have lots of fun with Sprocket - just remember that what you let him off with as a puppy he will expect to be let off with as an adult.  If he chews hands now, he may bite hands as an adult.  If he gets on the settee now he will do so when all growed up!  Posting pics is easy.  Upload them to Photobucket or a similar site and post the link in a message on here.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS