Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Had to PTS Barney yesterday.  (Read 6681 times)

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
Had to PTS Barney yesterday.
« on: July 29, 2009, 09:03:28 pm »
Very sad day yesterday :'( :'( :'( :'(.  Barney, our 11 year old mongrel, was stiff on his back legs when we let him out for a last wee at night on Monday.  On Tuesday morning he had no control of his back legs and could only walk 2 or 3 steps before collapsing.  He also wasn't eating.  My OH took him to the vet who said it was most likely neurological, but would give him some PLTs incase it was arthritis.  I think she may have been giving us time to come to terms with the obvious outcome.  I came home at lucnhtime and there was no change and spent the rest of the afternoon at work feeling really uncomfortable that the vet was keeping him going and thought that we should be calling it a day.

After collecting the children and going home I had a chat with OH and decided to call the vet and take Barney back to the vet and PTS.  Horrible horrible having to tell the children (age 5 & 6) and watch them say goodbye.  Got to the vets and she agreed we should call it a day.  She said she wanted to take him into the back and put in a cathater before bringing him back into the room.  I waited in reception for ages.  I knew that they must have been struggling to find a vein and I wanted to ask reception if I could go and be with him, but I didn't want to be a bother (feel so guilty about that).

Eventually she came back and we took Barney to the car and thats where the vet injected him.  After he was gone I asked her to remove the cathater so as not to upset the children when we took Barney home.  I could see the vet trying to get the cathater out from under the bandage without me seeing the mess she had made of his leg & I just felt so awful that I hadn't been there with him.  I have no criticism of the vet, but feel I let Barney down.

Anyway, he is now buried in the field and the children chose a teddy each for Barney to keep him company.  We thought he would be the type of dog that pootles on until 16 - we never expected this!

Its hard beiong a pet owner sometimes! :'(

HappyHippy

Re: Had to PTS Barney yesterday.
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2009, 09:40:06 pm »
So sorry to hear about your loss MM, it's never easy to lose an animal, be it pet or produce and even worse when you're not expecting it.
You didn't fail him though, not in the least - failing would have been keeping him going for your sake. You did what was in his best interests (even though it's hard on you and the kids) and he's free from pain now.
Hope you all feel better soon
Karen x

Bobby

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2009, 10:01:44 pm »
We had a lab for 16 years - she got so bad we had to carry her out for a wee - the vet tried everything, but it was just so sad.  We brought her home so the kids could say goodbye - our son was 16 at the time and slept curled up around her.  Worst thing ever watching her be put to sleep, but she was tired and old.  Took us ages to get over losing her.
Bobby

sandy

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2009, 10:23:07 pm »
It isvery upsetting but you have done the best thing, we had to put a dog to sleep earler in the year, I still get a bit moved by it as he too was a great dog, we got another straight away and he is so similar it's uncanny, the only difference is he likes other dogs. Think of all the nice times you gave each other...bless!

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Near Stirling, Central Scotland
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2009, 11:09:43 pm »
Sorry to hear that , I think it is a brilliant and super idea that the children gave him a teddy each to help him

Linz

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2009, 11:21:46 pm »
I have been there so often.  I know exactly what you are going through - we often think we didn't do enough for our pets at the end, sometimes we think we kept them going too long, sometimes we do - you did the right thing at the right time, your vet anticipated that his veins had collapsed and took him away to where you would not be traumatised - believe me if you see what it takes it stays with you a long, long time.  I have been there too and I still remember, I had a less considerate vet.  Your children are young enough to remember only teh best parts of ahving him, so don't worry.  My two were the same age when we had a cocker put down and they only remember staying in another room with Daddy for a few moments then coming through to say goodbye to Brandy before we took her away to be cremated.  One last thought.  Please ensure his grave is secure if it is in a field.   A large rock will suffice, if you know what I mean.
And go and get another dog very soon - it will never replace Barney but it will help ease teh pain.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2009, 01:27:57 pm »
Sorry to hear about Barney, and so sad when there are children involved losing their doggy pal.  I have been there so often, and it does not get any easier.  Afterwards we always say did we do the right thing, could they have got better etc. etc......but the probable answer is no....and having them pts is the kindest thing, and I am sure it was for Barney.

Agree with dogandjo about securing the grave.  I always put lots of big flat stones off my wall on the grave, to prevent any foxes digging.

Troubled Waters

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2009, 03:04:44 pm »
Sending you hugs.  It's so hard.  Non dog owners (non pet owners in general) don't understand why we get so upset but they are part of the family. Our little chap keeps giving us scares and when the time comes we too will be heartbroken.  My mum swears by getting a new one as soon as she can but it's not for everyone.

Thinking of you and your family.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2009, 04:37:47 pm »
I have always had at least two dogs since we lost Brandy.  Not only does it ease the pain but two dogs are actually easier to manage than one - you still have one to concentrate on and it does take your mind off the death.  Mind you it doesn't work if you double that number! :D ;D ;D  Although I have four just now, I'll never go below two.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2009, 05:32:42 pm »
MM sorry to hear about Barney.

My thoughts are with you.

I had to have my other basset hound, Wanda, PTS this time last year.  I still miss her.
Pedigree GOS Pigs and Butchery for Smallholders.

Tullywood Farm

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2009, 08:03:54 pm »
Its always hard to say goodbye :'( Our thoughts are with you and your kids  :love:

Definately time to get a puppy - consider a Cavalier King Charles cross if you don't want to go pedigree - they are sooooo loving and silly and love kids and safe and cuddly and fun and daft
and loveable and cute

Ruby sends her love to you all too

:-* :-* :-*
Julie, Joe and Tara ;D

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2009, 08:13:32 pm »
Thank you so much for all your kind words.  The grave is secure!  We have talked about getting another dog, but have decided to wait until Ralph goes and until the children are older to help with the walking e.t.c.

We are now looking towards our holiday to see my Mum in Scotland and are wondering how we are going to get on with a 9 hour car journey with Ralph, the hamster and 2 young children in a confined space!!

Thank you again - you have all been very kind.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2009, 09:32:23 pm »
Sorry to hear about your loss, MM.

HappyHippy

« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2009, 12:50:43 pm »
We are now looking towards our holiday to see my Mum in Scotland and are wondering how we are going to get on with a 9 hour car journey with Ralph, the hamster and 2 young children in a confined space!!
If you need a stopping off point where you can let them out to run about and let off steam, I'm only 5 minutes from the M74 motorway at Lesmahagow  ;)
Alternatively, do what I do & go at night !
The roads are quieter and IF the weather's hot it's cooler at night. Just get them in their jammies, quilts & pillows in with the car seats and no matter how excited they are they WILL fall asleep (eventually)
Good luck !
Karen

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2009, 06:52:02 pm »
Thank you HH for your kind offer, but we are planning to have a picnic at Annandale Water.  We are leaving at 6am - my OH and I don't have the energy to drive through the night!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS