Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Poorly Chickens  (Read 1521 times)

Hassle

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Lincolnshire
Poorly Chickens
« on: July 23, 2013, 07:10:05 pm »
As some of you maybe aware last night there was an impressive thunder and lightening storm.  This morning I woke up to find I have one chicken with a limp, one chicken who I think has broken a toe (pretty sure by the angle) and one chicken who doesn't open one of her eyes. Out of the 6 I have it's pretty much a disaster I feel.

So I have looked at the one who doesn't open it's eye the number 2 chicken, I have looked at the eye moving the eyelid it looks clear and during the day it is now open a fraction, she looks healthy in other respects and is quite happy wandering around during the day eating the greens from late this afternoon and the corn this evening.

The Chicken with a limp seems again happy and its toes are all ok. I've bathed the foot and can't see any damage splinters etc.

Final chicken this is the boss lady and the toe i am pretty sure is broken i'm inclined to splint but i'm willing to take advice.  I know chickens are quite happy with damaged feet, it just seems a shame.

I have spoken to the nice lady who I bought off who seems to think that the storm frightened them and they fell of the perch and she feels vet intervention isn't needed yet so anyway any recommendations from all you guys please.

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
Re: Poorly Chickens
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2013, 09:37:40 pm »
Try strapping the toe Hassle. They do mend as they are, but they become a bit of a hinderance as they can't grip the perch as the toe gets in the way and they walk dragging it. Couple of lolly sticks and some micropore tape for a few weeks perhaps. Never done it myself. Need to make sure it is set properly. If the tendon gets trapped in the break !!!

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2013, 09:49:46 pm »
I agree with strapping the toe straight. Keep a check that it stays pink so you know the blood supply is fine and the tape isn't too tight.

I would just bathe the eye with boiled cooled water a couple of times a day to stop the discharge from causing skin sores. It should improve but if it starts to get worse or the eye starts to discolour then she may lose the use of it. Any infection not clearing within a few days should get vet. treatment.

HTH

Hassle

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2013, 09:53:27 pm »
thank you guys ... will set to it

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS