Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Selling sheep meat- legal situation?  (Read 3970 times)

Fieldfare

• Joined Feb 2011
Selling sheep meat- legal situation?
« on: July 19, 2013, 12:58:30 pm »
Hi all- I have just had a my 1st sheep slaughterred and butchered. I have neatly bagged the joints and popped him in the freezer. There is probably too much for us to eat in aa year so what are the legal implications of selling some of this? Is there a useful price guide on the internet somewhere for the difft. joints?
Many thanks!

sidds

• Joined Feb 2012
Re: Selling sheep meat- legal situation?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2013, 01:07:28 pm »
You cant.
You need to have registered food prep areas,  proper temperature control, certification, insurance etc etc
Give your local trading standards a ring and they will enlighten you.
you will have to eat it all yourself or give some to friends and family.

17AndCounting

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Kent
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2013, 03:05:15 pm »

I was told by a farmer that friends and family can give you a donation in return for the meat.

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2013, 03:48:24 pm »
speak to environmental health - its not that demanding if they are professionally butchered / wrapped and frozen.
selling frozen food doesnt even require a handwashing sink. fresh meat is different.
our eh was very helpful. but organising beforehand is better than after.

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2013, 03:51:57 pm »
You cant.
You need to have registered food prep areas,  proper temperature control, certification, insurance etc etc
Give your local trading standards a ring and they will enlighten you.
you will have to eat it all yourself or give some to friends and family.

Not if a licensed slaughter house and cutter has done everything (they would need to package it too) but strictly the meat being sold needs to go straight out from their place to the people you are selling to, and be on refridgerated transport.

If you take it home in the car and start repackaging ie handling it, you need all the approvals etc.

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2013, 04:01:39 pm »

, and be on refridgerated transport.

our Eh was happy with ice packs and polystrene boxes in the back of a car, aslong as you can record the temperatures before and after and keep it below the threshold.

Hevxxx99

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2013, 05:00:16 pm »
Yep, that's what I did too.

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2013, 06:14:56 pm »

, and be on refridgerated transport.

our Eh was happy with ice packs and polystrene boxes in the back of a car, aslong as you can record the temperatures before and after and keep it below the threshold.

That's good news, I've done that for my own stuff but wasn't sure for stuff I might sell.

Blacksheep

• Joined May 2008
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2013, 01:21:45 pm »
We sell ours direct from the butcher as half lambs, so no need for licensed food handling areas/certificates etc. Our eh happy with using cool boxes and freezer blocks to transport direct from the butcher to the customer.  We have lots of happy customers and it is always nice to receive good feedback about your own homegrown lamb.

NetherBrae

• Joined Dec 2012
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2013, 04:57:30 pm »
We do similar with pork. I sell it but the customer collects direct from the butcher.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS