Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Ram Lambs  (Read 2005 times)

Ladygrey

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Basingstoke
Ram Lambs
« on: July 18, 2013, 08:18:58 pm »
Hi there  :wave:

I am picking up a new ram lamb on saturday morning and I have a few questions

First of all im not sure whether to draft him in with the rams as he is a ram or the lambs as he is a lamb..  ???
My lambs have not been weaned yet so he would have to go in with the ewes aswel, would this be ok?
but then at weaning would he have to go in with the rams...

Also is it ok to keep a non horned ram in with horned rams?

Second question is, at what age would a ram lamb actually be able to cover the ewes? I am putting ewes in with tups first week of november so ram lamb would be 7 months old. also how many ewes is a realistic number to try him on for his first time?

I am going to be using a shetland ram as a sweeper to go in after incase he misses any

Many thanks

Jess

TheCaptain

• Joined May 2010
Re: Ram Lambs
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2013, 10:45:55 pm »
Hi there  :wave:

I am picking up a new ram lamb on saturday morning and I have a few questions

First of all im not sure whether to draft him in with the rams as he is a ram or the lambs as he is a lamb..  ???
My lambs have not been weaned yet so he would have to go in with the ewes aswel, would this be ok?
but then at weaning would he have to go in with the rams...

Also is it ok to keep a non horned ram in with horned rams?

Second question is, at what age would a ram lamb actually be able to cover the ewes? I am putting ewes in with tups first week of november so ram lamb would be 7 months old. also how many ewes is a realistic number to try him on for his first time?

I am going to be using a shetland ram as a sweeper to go in after incase he misses any

Many thanks

Jess

1. How many rams you got? I'd stick him in with the lambs and ewes at the moment - is he only 12 weeks old then at the moment? Our lad was 8 months when he started to cover but I've got a horny little ram lamb that is being removed tomorrow becuase he's becoming a massive pest at only 5 months! I would think it is fine to keep a non-horned with a horned; my non-horned x-breed likes to head-butt with the best of my my horned rams and hasn't suffered any damage to date.

Pedwardine

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Lincolnshire
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2013, 10:50:13 pm »
Hi Ladgrey. Your boy will be sexually 'able' at around five/six months old so he really should go in with the boys. Trouble is he may get picked on a little if your intact lads are older and bigger. If they are the same age he should be okay. I'd maybe pop him next door to your existing boys so they can get used to the smell of him and vice versa. When they're all used to each others presence then bring him in with them. There will still be some excitement but nowhere near as much aggression. As for the horned with a polled I don't know how that will work. Hopefully someone with experience of that particular scenario will be along soon. My 8 month old ram served 20 ewes in his first season.

Ladygrey

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Basingstoke
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2013, 01:36:37 pm »
Thankyou  :wave:

I picked him up this morning and he has been put in with the rams as he is more rammy than lamby...

He is lovely though :) so big and chunky :D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS