Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: A Dilemma ?  (Read 2200 times)

devonlad

• Joined Nov 2012
  • Nr Crediton in Devon
A Dilemma ?
« on: July 18, 2013, 04:47:54 pm »
Got a real dilemma which I'm sure one of you good people will solve for me  :fc: Our lambs are close to weaning time, but recent events have slightly complicated things. On Sunday, 4 days ago we were checking on the flock who have been grazing in a rented field 1/4 mile away. One of the mums had a huge bare sore around her neck which meant we needed to get her back home quickly to treat it, She has responded well to some abs and daily cleaning plus blue spray. At the time we assumed that her lambs would follow her but they decided to stay behind. That's them weaned we thought. The following day we decided to get her some company and returned and collected one of our other ewes who is quite tame. similarly we left her lamb behind.
we discovered that she too was sporting fairly angry looking sores on her belly and we treated her in the same way. (it isnt fly strike thank god- just we think a combination of rough pasture, heat and flies
Now here's the problem. I feel strongly that i want to get the whole flock back home to treat them and check them over. the field thay are in is des;pite being huge, a very rough piece of pasture with huge areas of dock, nettles and totally unpalatable weed grasses. Most of the nutritious stuff is now gone and i want them on our better looking field at homeand close so I can keep an eye on them.. However the only way to do this is to re-introduce the "weaned" lambs to mums as there is no other option or space. is this likely to cause any problems . the plan is to have them all back here for a week or so and then wean them all properly. we cant tleave all the lambs on mums to go naturally as some are entire and also with the year we've had the muims do look a bit ropy and could probably do with a rest. sorry to be so drawn out but HELP !!

Hillview Farm

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Surrey
  • Proud owner of sheep and Llamas!
Re: A Dilemma ?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2013, 05:58:09 pm »
Cant see it being a problem. They will be hardly having any milk now anyway and it wont affect lamb or ewe :)

just put them all back together and wean when your ready

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2013, 06:46:15 pm »
 :thumbsup:

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2013, 06:54:06 pm »
I agree  :)     There could well be issues with the other ewes, so important to sort that out.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

devonlad

• Joined Nov 2012
  • Nr Crediton in Devon
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2013, 08:48:58 am »
thanks all- just needed that bit of reassurance- TAS fabulous for that- cheers again

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS