Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Weaving with willow  (Read 2472 times)

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
Weaving with willow
« on: July 18, 2013, 12:20:38 pm »
I want to have a go at weaving some simple,basic wreaths from willow.

Does anyone know of any good suppliers of reasonably priced willow bundles that the children and I can experiment with?

spandit

• Joined Mar 2013
  • East Sussex
    • Sussex Forest Garden
Re: Weaving with willow
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2013, 02:57:46 pm »
Yes, me! But not until next year... :(

It's the wrong time to be harvesting it, really, but if you can find some growing and you have permission to cut it, then drying in this sunshine shouldn't take long (or you can work it green)
sussexforestgarden.blogspot.co.uk

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2013, 03:04:44 pm »
I have a lot of different varieties available, but I think you will be a long way from me.   Wreaths woven in the green should be fine.  It's only when it's baskets that they tend to loosen as they dry and that works ok even then.   There are lots of other hedgerow plants you can weave with - just see if the new long stems will bend around your wrist and get weaving.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2013, 05:31:46 pm »
generally weaving in the green also needs to be done post summer when the sap has retreated back down to the roots - in fully sapped state they tend to snap when you do the wrist test.  Brambles are quite good to use at this time of year (better in autumn as other sp, but tougher than willow etc) just need de thorning with thick leather gloves on...  Id go for dried and then soak if you are keen to do it now... Hills have been reasonable when Ive been doing willow work in the past - not as well graded as somerset willow, but LOADS cheaper if you are not needing that (ie for fine basketry work). Enjoy!

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2013, 03:58:37 pm »
Thank you.

Shall be in touch next year Spandit  ;D .

Will try those contacts FiB.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS