Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: New Dog breeds?  (Read 17626 times)

rispainfarm

• Joined Jul 2012
  • longniddry
    • The Porky Quines
Re: New Dog breeds?
« Reply #45 on: August 15, 2013, 11:32:14 pm »
We have sprockers and we breed them. i don't actually think they were cross bred for the pet market originally, though someone might tell me otherwise. Our dogs are working, and the puppies go to working homes. I personally think most spanial/sprockers are not suitable for the pet home as they are too manic and perfer to be doing something.  I would be interested in knowing why the were first crossed, think I will google and try and find out. Our sprockers are brilliant, I don't actually like springers but like the size of the springer. Cockers are nice but I like slightly bigger dogs, hence we have the best of both worlds with the sprocker. We sell our puppies for approximately £350, but they are going to do a job.
Author of Choosing and Keeping Pigs and Pigs for the Freezer, A Smallholders Guide

www.porkyquines.co.uk
http://uk.linkedin.com/pub/linda-mcdonald-brown/23/ab6/4a7/

rispainfarm

• Joined Jul 2012
  • longniddry
    • The Porky Quines
« Reply #46 on: August 15, 2013, 11:36:39 pm »
just found this about sprockers

Springer and Cocker Spaniels were selectively bred from Land Spaniels so it is safe to assume that they have been crossed either accidentally or by gamekeepers ever since . However it is only in the last 20 or so years that their popularity has risen and they have become known as Sprockers.

Anecdotal evidence suggests that Gamekeepers in Scotland initiated the breeding of Springers and Cockers to create a dual purpose working field Spaniel for the big estates, combining the best traits of both Spaniel types for flushing across varied ground cover. Sprockers found their way into family homes in ever increasing numbers and they have proved to be, like many Spaniels, the ideal family pet.

Today even recognised Cocker Spaniel & Springer Spaniel breeders have started using their Sires & Dams to produce litters of Sprockers. Many people assume that Sprockers are part of the current trend for designer dogs, however the Sprocker is clearly not a designer dog as he is the result of breeding two types of Spaniel rather than two different breeds and has probably been around ever since Springers and Cockers were bred from original land Spaniels.

It is difficult to estimate accurately how many Sprockers there are in the UK but it is probably between 5000 & 10,000 which would mean the Sprocker is one of the most popular Spaniel types right now. Our online Facebook community Recognise the Sprocker Spaniel has over 500 members.
Author of Choosing and Keeping Pigs and Pigs for the Freezer, A Smallholders Guide

www.porkyquines.co.uk
http://uk.linkedin.com/pub/linda-mcdonald-brown/23/ab6/4a7/

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #47 on: August 16, 2013, 10:16:18 am »
just found this about sprockers

Springer and Cocker Spaniels were selectively bred from Land Spaniels so it is safe to assume that they have been crossed either accidentally or by gamekeepers ever since . However it is only in the last 20 or so years that their popularity has risen and they have become known as Sprockers.

Anecdotal evidence suggests that Gamekeepers in Scotland initiated the breeding of Springers and Cockers to create a dual purpose working field Spaniel for the big estates, combining the best traits of both Spaniel types for flushing across varied ground cover. Sprockers found their way into family homes in ever increasing numbers and they have proved to be, like many Spaniels, the ideal family pet.

Today even recognised Cocker Spaniel & Springer Spaniel breeders have started using their Sires & Dams to produce litters of Sprockers. Many people assume that Sprockers are part of the current trend for designer dogs, however the Sprocker is clearly not a designer dog as he is the result of breeding two types of Spaniel rather than two different breeds and has probably been around ever since Springers and Cockers were bred from original land Spaniels.

It is difficult to estimate accurately how many Sprockers there are in the UK but it is probably between 5000 & 10,000 which would mean the Sprocker is one of the most popular Spaniel types right now. Our online Facebook community Recognise the Sprocker Spaniel has over 500 members.
All spaniels were originally the same breed - they were selectively bred from within the same litter,  for individual traits that they carried. Clumbers, Cockers, Springers, Fields, Sussex etc all developed from the same lines. Sprockers are the least offensive cross in my view. Spaniels are spaniels are spaniels.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #48 on: August 17, 2013, 06:46:10 pm »
I know someone who breeds, one of their buyers got back in touch as their new pup had been found to have a heart murmur. Answer, all pups have this problem when young. The other question I would ask. Do all breeders put the sale of their pups in their tax returns.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #49 on: August 17, 2013, 07:34:42 pm »
I doubt that!  But if you did you could also claim all expenses, including in show dogs entering shows, travel to and from, feeding, registration fees, vet fees,  etc - I once calculated that my loss for 10 years was in the region of £15000.  It's a hobby if you do it properly -  not a business.  I DO wish people would realise that you cannot make money from proper dog breeding.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #50 on: August 17, 2013, 08:52:47 pm »
We do!! our accountant wanted a pup....but we are allowed to earn so much from a hobby and the amount of time, bits and bobs that get put into having a litter there is money at the end  but ours goes  back on the dogs, last litter we bought a dog friendly car, that's gone now and we have a better dog friendly car, the money also paid for her to  be spayed and all other vet stuff....most hobbies cost money, some cost a lot but I see our dogs as a hobby and part of my life, without them I would not have so many wonderful friends, I would not have met such great people, I would certainly not walk in the woods on my own and I would have no one to cuddle up to when my husband has the grumps.....The main reason I go for Labradors is I know what I will be getting and that suits my own temperament, fitness and character......the yellow one also matches my hair, the black one matches the black car and the brown one matches my outfits and boots.........all I need now is a red one :innocent:

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #51 on: August 17, 2013, 08:54:55 pm »
We do!! our accountant wanted a pup....but we are allowed to earn so much from a hobby and the amount of time, bits and bobs that get put into having a litter there is money at the end  but ours goes  back on the dogs, last litter we bought a dog friendly car, that's gone now and we have a better dog friendly car, the money also paid for her to  be spayed and all other vet stuff....most hobbies cost money, some cost a lot but I see our dogs as a hobby and part of my life, without them I would not have so many wonderful friends, I would not have met such great people, I would certainly not walk in the woods on my own and I would have no one to cuddle up to when my husband has the grumps.....The main reason I go for Labradors is I know what I will be getting and that suits my own temperament, fitness and character......the yellow one also matches my hair, the black one matches the black car and the brown one matches my outfits and boots.........all I need now is a red one :innocent:
Couldn't have put it better!

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #52 on: August 17, 2013, 09:13:14 pm »
..the yellow one also matches my hair, the black one matches the black car and the brown one matches my outfits and boots.........all I need now is a red one :innocent:

red to match what?? lipstick?  :roflanim: :roflanim: :roflanim: i love my chocolate lab  :love: i also love chocolate!
 :D :D

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #53 on: August 17, 2013, 09:20:00 pm »
Don't think they make dogs to match my red shoes  :innocent:  I have a black one to match my black shoes, a brown one to match my brown shoes, a mostly white one to match my summer white shoes.  But nothing to match my lucky red Show shoes :-J

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #54 on: August 17, 2013, 09:51:35 pm »
I would love  a Fox red....I would happily have a  house full of all sorts of dogs.....but 4 is enough..........next cats :innocent:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS