Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: New Dog breeds?  (Read 17625 times)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: New Dog breeds?
« Reply #30 on: July 17, 2013, 06:10:43 pm »
If you go to a reputable breeder, they will do health checks, chip, etc. Whether it's a "cross breed" or a pedigree.
There are good breeders, and bad breeders whatever dog breed you go for.

People who breed designer dogs for profit are not reputable breeders.  You get the occasional mongrel or crossbred litter because of a misalliance or because 'i love my dog and thought it would be nice for him/her to have babies'  Neither have any thought to the future of such pups.  A misalliance can be sorted by a trip to the vet next day for a jab, and the other kind would never think of health issues.

There are a number of reputable breeders on TAS, including Sandy and myself, who would never dream of producing 6, 7 or however many pups, without ensuring they will be as healthy as is possible and that they will have good forever homes.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #31 on: July 17, 2013, 07:06:18 pm »
Some people frown on facebook advertising but I like it as I then can check people out much better and keep in regular contact, I have now built  up so  many great contacts, the best of all being the stud dogs owner, he has many people come to him for pups and I know I have said this before but one of our pups went to a Billionaire.....I may say this again buy the way as I am chuffed, he has his own estate and game keeper and goes shooting...well he's only 1 but if half as good as ours without much training then he will be brilliant.  I keep in contact with the majority of our pups and am so proud of them! :thumbsup:

jimmy

• Joined Jul 2013
« Reply #32 on: July 17, 2013, 08:53:26 pm »
If you go to a reputable breeder, they will do health checks, chip, etc. Whether it's a "cross breed" or a pedigree.
There are good breeders, and bad breeders whatever dog breed you go for.

People who breed designer dogs for profit are not reputable breeders.  You get the occasional mongrel or crossbred litter because of a misalliance or because 'i love my dog and thought it would be nice for him/her to have babies'  Neither have any thought to the future of such pups.  A misalliance can be sorted by a trip to the vet next day for a jab, and the other kind would never think of health issues.

There are a number of reputable breeders on TAS, including Sandy and myself, who would never dream of producing 6, 7 or however many pups, without ensuring they will be as healthy as is possible and that they will have good forever homes.

I don't think you'll be convinced, you've obviously made your mind up that anyone cross breeding is evil, and anyone breeding pure pedigrees is a saint ;) It's interesting though that you seem to imply breeding dogs is something that should not be done for profit. Why shouldn't dog breeders make a profit from what they do? It takes a big commitment in terms of time and energy. Is profit a dirty word? Immoral?

There is great demand for certain breeds, and that's why the price is high. The market decides.

If you look at the link I posted, there are several registered cockapoo breeders, who have been inspected and vetted.
There is also ample information on health testing etc etc.

Maybe there's a big issue with unscrupulous breeders specifically breeding cross breeds where you are. I've never seen any issue like that though - anyone buying a puppy from some backstreet unregistered breeder is asking for trouble - whatever the breed.

I'll leave it at that on the subject. For me personally, the existance of cockapoos has enabled us to have 2 fantastic friendly family dogs, instead of none.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2013, 08:55:45 pm by jimmy »

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #33 on: July 17, 2013, 09:21:41 pm »
Jimmy, That isn't what I am saying.  You have two lovely cockapoos and maybe you will be lucky and not have health problems with them. I do hope so.
I admit I have a bee in my bonnet about doing health checks, but the only other bee buzzing around is giving mongrels a name to make them look desirable and so they can sell - in other words designer dogs. 

I agree if a profit can be made it is perfectly ok but it is less likely if all the health checks are done, the dam and pups are fed and housed well, the pups vaccinated before they leave the birth home, and are registered with the Kennel Club. All that costs money and is pretty well the way all breeding shoudl be done in my opinion.  The ultimate aim in breeding is not to make money but to produce better dogs and healthier dogs over a period of time.
You also have it wrong about what I believe,  I started my life with a cross breed - lab/cocker - but she wasn't a cockalab or a labacock or anything other than a labradort/cocker cross.  Had I mated her to her brother or any other breed they would have produced mongrels, not more cockalabs or labacocks.  Because they would not have bred true to type, in other words, you wouldn't have had a scooby what they'd turn out like in either looks or temperament, or for that matter health, I wouldn't ever have bred her.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #34 on: July 17, 2013, 11:54:59 pm »
its the price they go for - same as a pedigree up here.

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #35 on: July 18, 2013, 07:42:24 am »
Thing is, no one forces people to buy them but they must sell otherwise not so many people would be breeding them........basically it's demand and supply rather than he other way around.    a buyer should check out the breeders, both stud and bitch........

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #36 on: July 18, 2013, 08:49:52 am »
I know someone who has bred 2 litters of German Shepherd x Labrador. Big litters ... so around 20 pups. They cost £200 each and all were sold by 10 weeks of age. What's more, people travelled from all over for them and not just locally. There is obviously quite a demand for these crosses and like everything where there is a demand someone will supply.

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #37 on: July 18, 2013, 08:54:12 am »
I know someone who has bred 2 litters of German Shepherd x Labrador. Big litters ..

crikey, there are tons of those in the shelters.
we live next door to a long cockerpoo, like a giant mop.

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #38 on: July 18, 2013, 09:31:25 am »
That is what I can't understand. Surely the shelters have loads of pups and young dogs that are effectively what these are ..... first crosses.

She asked to use my Flattie but told her I didn't think it was a good idea. German Shepherd X Flattie .... dread to think.  ::)

I believe first crosses are often used as Guide dogs and carried out to get the good qualities of the 2 breeds. Used to know a farmers wife who had the brood bitches and also puppy walked and she told me that it was often done. She had a Flattie X labrador at one point and said that it was the maddest one she had worked with and couldn't believe how much it licked any bit of bare flesh it spotted .... real fuss pot.

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #39 on: July 18, 2013, 11:09:37 am »
That is what I can't understand. Surely the shelters have loads of pups and young dogs that are effectively what these are ..... first crosses.

some crosses i can kinda understand. my friends has a chihuahua x yorkie, paid alot for it,
the cute ones like poodle crosses go for £500 up here.
but gsd x and lab x and collie x etc  i dont see why when there are 1000's in the pound.
( i had a great gsd x lurcher from the dogs home, bizarre looking but a fantastic dog  :love:)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #40 on: July 18, 2013, 11:13:57 am »

She asked to use my Flattie but told her I didn't think it was a good idea. German Shepherd X Flattie .... dread to think.  ::)

I believe first crosses are often used as Guide dogs and carried out to get the good qualities of the 2 breeds.
That is fine so long as the background of both are investigated thoroughly,as regards merits and faults are concerned,as well as inherited health issues, and that forever homes are sought fro teh progeny!  But that is exactly what these get rich quick 'breeders' are NOT doing!  I'm not against anyone breeding anything - what I AM against is total lack of concern for what is produced.  No thought behind it whatsoever - just mate that dog to that dog and don';t care who they are sold to.  There are dogs/puppies being bought for low prices or free to good home just to be used as bait dogs for dog fighting rings.  And don't hide your heads in the sand it is true - three bodies have just been found dumped - one had been cut in half and left to rot.  That was someone's much loved pet once!  Just THINK about it folks, that's all I ask!

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #41 on: July 18, 2013, 11:38:15 am »
I think most people do think about it .... you are certainly not alone there Doganjo.

How you stop the others is the difficult part .........??????

The lady I mentioned would say that  her dogs are well cared for. The pups well cared for and well socialized. She would say that no the parents are not health checked but are healthy enough. She has one bitch that she won't have pups from because the vet has told her that there is a hip problem but she would say that she can see the others are fine.

There was talk certainly here in Wales of legislation to prevent indiscriminate dog breeding. Haven't heard any details though or definition of what would be classed as indiscriminate.  :-\  How would they police it?  :-\

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #42 on: July 18, 2013, 11:58:32 am »
I really don't know how it could be policed except by all dogs requiring a licence, (and a tag on their collars); and licences required for ANY litter, whether pure bred or cross bred.  Personally I would be happy to pay a dog licence and a breeding licence if it would stop dog fighting and indiscriminate breeding, and dogs in kill centres - if you want to get a scare just look at Spain where gangs of kids go around stoning stray dogs to death, and others are picked up and put in kennels till it's time for them to die - just a few days usually.  Their killing methods leave a lot to be desired too.  At least we are humane in the UK for the most part. And Yes, I Do know about some of the shooting fraternity. :'(

Just because a dog looks healthy doesn't mean that it is or that it won't pass on any latent diseases(carrier)

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #43 on: July 18, 2013, 12:11:39 pm »
Did try and explain that but .......

Won't look but uncle lives in Spain now. He has 9 dogs due to the things you talk about. They turn up as strays and he keeps them.  ;D  The lucky few I guess.

MarvinH

• Joined Oct 2011
  • England
« Reply #44 on: August 15, 2013, 09:46:01 pm »
In response to the original post I agree with part of it, these new names are just silly -( to fetch a high price / fashion ) and the animals are nothing more than cross breeds.
I would however be more than happy to own a mongrel ( possibly the best type of dog for a family? I dont know) & there are 'some' fantastic rescue dogs looking for new owners.
Sheep

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS