Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: How to obtain funding??  (Read 3650 times)

donny

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Weymouth, Dorset
  • Do you know this breed??
How to obtain funding??
« on: July 28, 2009, 11:16:12 am »
Hi all

I have a design in prototype form which is tested and fully working. The next stage is CE testing to ensure safety of the end user and also to be able to sell the idea within the E.U.
The idea is outlined in another thread on here http://www.accidentalsmallholder.net/forum/index.php?topic=3548.0.

The problem I have is I am unemployed and on jobseekers allowance, there is my problem, I do not have the spare funds to take this project furthur.

Does anyone know of a scheme or grant system that helps with ideas for small holders or farming use?

Thanks

Donny

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: How to obtain funding??
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2009, 01:29:51 pm »
If you google grants that might come up with something, but the Big Lottery Fund might help too.  There are numerous grant bodies (including one specifically for women!), try your local Council Offices for a list too,
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

HappyHippy

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2009, 01:43:04 pm »
Hi,
My hubby was in a similar position after being on invalidity benefits for a while - he had the equiptment he needed but no cash to get this going. The job centre put him in touch with a business mentorship company who gave him some cash and helped to set up websites etc. There was also funding through the job centre - I think it was a kind of return to work grant.
I'd definately get in touch with your local job centre and ask if they have anything similar. I think you may have to have been on benefits for 6 months to qualify though, but still worth asking.
Good luck,
Karen

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2009, 05:26:46 pm »
Hi Donny,

Why don't you get in touch with your local Business Gateway and / or Business Link branch?   I'm sure they'll be able to point you in the right direction, as they were very helpful to me when I recently started up my own business.

Cheers!
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2009, 06:59:20 pm »
I may be able to advise here!

I have received a lot of funding to help set up what I am doing with wool and also work in funding as a consultant from time to time....will not bore you with that but suffice to say I know what to do to obtain it!

You will need evidence that the product is unique, needed urgently, works efficiently and would be something that cannot be bought easily already. The product you have developed as described on the other thread sounds good but get some people to test run it, when they have used it and got statistics, approach a large hatchery and let them trial it for further stats. If its all good and working out favourably write a report with quotes and figures that are watertight and provable.

Once you have this you are in a position to go for funding. You will find there is very little 100% funding and match funding is nearly always required. In kind match funding can be put towards some of it and providing you have the research docs proving the idea you may get funding to match grant funding through other bodies.

Believe me there is plenty of grant money out there BUT they do not give it to people with 'good ideas' but people who have proved their idea or product in some way, have evidence to show its needed and wanted!

Funders want to fund success stories.....so I wish you good luck!
www.valgrainger.co.uk

Overall winner of the Devon Environmental Business Awards 2009

donny

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Weymouth, Dorset
  • Do you know this breed??
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2009, 11:03:37 pm »
Well, a fantastic set of answers, thankyou very much.
I have managed to secure a CE test on my own accord, so help as in grants may no longer be needed.
I would like to thank you all for your assistance.

Donny

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS