Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What tractor to buy, again?  (Read 5178 times)

honeyend

• Joined Oct 2011
What tractor to buy, again?
« on: July 15, 2013, 11:55:09 pm »
I have been browsing tractors for the last month or so. Decided against a compact because we have 14 acres and I do not have firm plans. Looked at grey fergie, which are simple and there are plenty of them to choose but worried that it will not be powerful enough for some equipment.
We went to a big sale today just to look at the 135's they had going through but most didn't sell and the seem to want a small fortune for a pile of scrap, some of them must have a permanent pitch.
 I have seen a couple of international B141 which seem well priced, so is there a downside to them? It has to be a workhorse, not interested in it looking pretty or being collectable just reliable,easy to service and able get all the toys for it. Opinions please.

stufe35

• Joined Jan 2013
Re: What tractor to buy, again?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2013, 07:14:12 am »
Do you mean a 414 ?

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2013, 09:03:40 am »
Not quite sure why you decided against a good compact ....... not just a cheap Chinese one.
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

smudger

• Joined Jan 2012
  • North Devon/ West Exmoor
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2013, 09:14:36 am »
We bought a mitsibushi compact and whilst a joy to drive we have just a bit more land than you and now finding power lacking, not to mention 'reasonable' attachments. At the time we thought we would just get contractors in but after last years very wet season, it was difficult to get them in without churning the ground as they tend to have huuuge kit. Min HP I would look at now is 60hp and if you want to make hay yourselves probably more. International are reasonable cheap tractors but may be too low on power.  Do you eed 4wd?  A lot of older tractors don't have that.
Traditional and Rare breed livestock -  Golden Guernsey Goats, Blackmoor Flock Shetland and Lleyn Sheep, Pilgrim Geese and Norfolk Black Turkeys. Capallisky Irish Sport Horse Stud.

Still playing with tractors

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Cumbernauld
  • You can never have enough HP
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2013, 09:19:55 am »
IH tractors are fine like a lot of tractors of that age, but remember they are old and they will have been worked hard already. always buy the best you can afford, even if it means saving for a bit. I would always recommend a loader tractor if its your only one as they are more flexible. if 2wd is all you need there are other tractors such as the ford 4000, mf 565, jd 3000 series etc the list goes on. I know i would not want to be working 14 acres with a compact :relief:
Can you explain again what you plan to do with it?

honeyend

• Joined Oct 2011
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2013, 11:28:11 pm »
I have the old fashioned cattle sheds with little headroom, so there's moving muck, hay bales, hestons or rounds. Harrow, fertilise possibly mow, we are building a house so something that we can put a pallet fork on or perhaps a digger. Last year I paid someone to harrow, spray and fertilise, and was quite happy to keep paying someone but I have been waiting since March for someone to come. I have seen the bloke at least 4 times before hay making but he has still not come and we pay as soon as the bill comes in
.http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/international-tractor-b414-/121143307170?pt=UK_BOI_FarmingEquipment_RL&hash=item1c34b42ba2
These seem cheap compared to  a Ferguson 135.

Still playing with tractors

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Cumbernauld
  • You can never have enough HP
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2013, 11:24:36 am »
It seems a fair deal if the engine etc is ok.

i suppose something like this would be ideal? - http://landini.agriargouk.co.uk/Landini+Product+Range/1+Series+22-55hp

its a bit bigger than a compact but not too big, and if your building a house you may be able to get any vat back. There are a load of manufacturers who have models in this size so look around. Try to get one with agri tyres not grass ones.

135's seem to always go for too much, they are just not worth the money.

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2013, 12:37:25 pm »
MFs go for a lot as people like to do them up and show them and because of patriotism.

If not bothered about showing a common but less favoured make eg a foreign one can be better value, eg we have a smallish old John Deere.

Christoph

• Joined Jun 2013
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2013, 11:10:45 pm »
I got a grey Fergy and it is great but with a loader at the front the weight on the back axle can be too low, and there isn't a differential lock either which means you can get stuck.
Just bought another Massey Ferguson MF 65. It has got about 50 hp and is quite a bit bigger. Te MF 65 are great starters and very reliable and strong enough to work with all the implements you will need. Expect to pay between £2k and £3k. I think this is great value for money.

Best wishes and good luck

CK

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS