Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Carnivorous plant collection  (Read 2332 times)

lee.arron

• Joined Jan 2012
  • shropshire
Carnivorous plant collection
« on: July 15, 2013, 12:32:31 pm »
My first year if greenhouse growing , I know it's not over but can't help but think of the winter ahead and the enjoyment of my greenhouse halting for the winter months. So I have dedicated a section of my greenhouse to start a collection of carnivorous plants . Fascinating how many collections there are in the uk and the range available . Thought I would put it out there in the gardening section to see if any of you people have your own little shop of horrors

Bert

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Isle of Mull
Re: Carnivorous plant collection
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2013, 01:18:27 pm »
In the past I've had a pitcher plant and a Venus flytrap.
 You will need some sort of heat in your green house for them to live through the winter.
Don't make the same mistake as me ( one of the reasons I no longer have them  :innocent: ) don't water them with tap water .I only did it the once because i wasn't thinking and that was the end of my Venus flytrap. It must be rain water .
Good luck with it  :fc: , I do miss my tropical plants.

Min

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2013, 02:07:08 pm »
Our yellow trumpet pitcher and venus fly trap are quite happy being in an unheated greenhouse over winter. They need to die back and hibernate for a few months, otherwise they tire themselves out.

I love having them, I think they are cool. I also have a sundew in the kitchen. They haven't propagated as much as they normally do recently but I have managed to give away a few to friends in the past. They do a great job of catching fruit flies.

lee.arron

• Joined Jan 2012
  • shropshire
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2013, 08:49:16 pm »
They look amazing starting my collection and browsing ebay right now

Bert

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Isle of Mull
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2013, 07:28:19 am »
Have a look at this stunner  :thumbsup:  he isn't carnivorous but he looks like he should be  8) 

http://gardenofeaden.blogspot.co.uk/2011/04/how-to-grow-bat-plant-from-seed-tacca.html

I had one of these and a very big bird of paradise and lot of orchids.

lee.arron

• Joined Jan 2012
  • shropshire
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2013, 10:37:43 am »
Nice. Might have a go at growing

lee.arron

• Joined Jan 2012
  • shropshire
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2013, 10:42:45 am »

lee.arron

• Joined Jan 2012
  • shropshire
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2013, 10:44:05 am »
Just had a search on ebay this is a bulb plant could cut some time down this why than trying to seed it. Tacca chantrieri

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS