Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Polytunnel  (Read 14918 times)

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: Polytunnel
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2013, 10:21:05 am »
I've been making my own compost mix using molehill soil plus other stuff.  Of course, first you need the moles  ;D
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Factotum

• Joined Jun 2012
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2013, 08:56:41 pm »
first you need the moles

You can have some of ours if you like - the blighters have played havoc on the hay fields and one tunnelled under my poly-tunnel.

Re growing stuff inside - I grow beans inside up here - it's too windy outside; herbs such as coriander and marjoram, toms, cues, squashes, courgettes, beetroot, lettuce and other salads, radishes, cabbage, broc, brussels and asparagus. We're at about 250m in Moray, fairly exposed - lots of wind, but also quite a bit of sun this time of year and quite a bit of snow during the winter & spring - last snowfall here was mid May. Don't think I'd be able to grow much of the above without the PT

Sue

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2013, 07:46:29 am »
At the moment in the polytunnel I have tomatoes, peppers, aubergines and cucumbers plus a couple of celery plants, nasturtiums to brighten up the borders. One bay is given over to a potting bench/table arrangement. I used to have a sliding door at one end and a hinged door at the other but I changed the hinged door for a sliding one as the stuff behind the hinged door wasn't getting any air circulation when I opened it and the door opening was taking up space.
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

Bert

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Isle of Mull
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2013, 09:48:02 pm »
Thanks for all the advice  :thumbsup: 
Luckily this is a mole free zone, and I would like to keep it that way  :eyelashes:
The good news is my tunnel is now covered   :excited: :excited: :excited: 

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2013, 11:19:42 pm »
I've been making my own compost mix using molehill soil plus other stuff.  Of course, first you need the moles  ;D

:roflanim:  i used to use molehills for my pots, it was always fantastic soil  :thumbsup:

mojocafa

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Angus
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2013, 06:37:53 am »
Bert , what are fish boxes? And what are you using them for?
pygmy goats, gsd, border collie, scots dumpys, cochins, araucanas, shetland ducks and geese,  marrans, and pea fowl in a pear tree.

Bert

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Isle of Mull
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2013, 08:31:57 am »
Bert , what are fish boxes? And what are you using them for?

Fish boxes are fantastic and very versatile  :thumbsup: . They make great planters ( there main roll in my garden ), great for storage, they are stackable and they come in lots of different shapes and sizes and colours.

Almost Every one up here has fish boxes in there garden. I think they fall off trawlers and get washed up on the shore.
 I grow herbs, radish,lettuce, spring onions, carrots ( small ones like parmex,Caracas,royal chantenay ). Going to try some onions and garlic in them next year.
 I did go out in the rain with my iPad and took photos this morning but photobucket is being a T**T :rant:

mojocafa

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Angus
« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2013, 08:40:19 am »
You went out in the  RAIN?

Is falling off a trawler,  west coast language for falling off a lorrie?
pygmy goats, gsd, border collie, scots dumpys, cochins, araucanas, shetland ducks and geese,  marrans, and pea fowl in a pear tree.

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2013, 09:00:31 am »
You went out in the  RAIN?

Is falling off a trawler,  west coast language for falling off a lorrie?

lol, no.
we find them on our beaches too. we have a stash for when we have a polytunnel. also the tesco delivery boxes are a similar sort of thing  ::) ::) ::)

Bert

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Isle of Mull
« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2013, 07:33:18 am »
Finial update
 The tunnel is finished  :excited: .
I have been using half of it since we covered it, but now I have my staging in place  :thumbsup: .
 The reason the staging tuck so long to build is we had to wait until we had demolished a church  :innocent: 8)  ( I will be starting another thread to explain church demolition )

[size=78%]http://i1345.photobucket.com/albums/p671/Bertmull/resize/6aa61851255d6ff6beb53cd8b87220c9_zps6fb553b0.jpg[/img]]http://

http://i1345.photobucket.com/albums/p671/Bertmull/resize/8a7486725e01c79f94a3048b1e78d47e_zps2cf9c8fa.jpg[/img]]http://

I am really pleased with how the staging looks ;D  the first section of it is solid without gaps so when I'm potting up I don't throw half the compost on the floor  :thumbsup: [/size]

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2013, 09:39:00 am »
Wow, that looks fantastic  :thumbsup: So clean and tidy too. It is a nice big tunnel great scope for lots of veg  :excited:

Oh now I see what the fish boxes are  :roflanim: I was imagining wooden slatted crates and wondering how on earth you grew anything in them!

See there are lots of goodies already growing. What are they?

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2013, 09:44:24 am »
You have got it nice and tight  :thumbsup:   Keep the pics coming as things grow  :garden:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Bert

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Isle of Mull
« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2013, 06:18:39 pm »

See there are lots of goodies already growing. What are they?

In the hanging baskets I have strawberries in one and tumbling red, yellow & tiger toms in the other.
On my posh staging  :excited:  I have some chilli's various varieties.
On the other side in pots on top of my covered raised bed ( not planting in there till next year, want to make sure all the weed are under control before I plant in there) there are more chilli's, a cucumber, lemon grass.
In the small pot by the door marigolds and basil. Just behind the door out of site is 6 varieties of tomato.
In the potato grow bag thing I have carrots and in one of the fish boxes. In the other fish boxes spring onions, kale, one is empty ( will have elephant garlic when it turns up in October )

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2013, 07:55:50 pm »
You have a great variety of stuff already  :yum: like the idea of multicoloured tumbling tomato baskets  :thumbsup: ( think I'll copy that next year   :innocent: )

Connor

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Northern Ireland
  • Like us on Facbook@ Maddens Poultry
    • Maddens Poultry
    • Facebook
« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2013, 09:17:21 pm »
Looks really good where did you buy the staging?
Maddens Poultry- Breed Black and gold silkies Like us on facebook
Maddens plants- Sell veg transplants Find us on facebook!

Contact me if your interested in veg transplants for your veg  patch!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS