Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Carrots  (Read 2912 times)

alsun

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Templecombe
  • My Dream Land
Carrots
« on: August 07, 2013, 10:22:49 am »
I have some very strange carrots, several rows of dumpy growth with spider like roots, nothing like the picture on the packet.
Am wondering if they could not penetrate the very hard dry ground even though I was watering them.
Ant ideas ? :innocent:
Share my land !

Dan

• The Accidental Smallholder
  • Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • The Accidental Smallholder
    • Facebook
Re: Carrots
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2013, 10:31:06 am »
Carrots like light, sandy soil best, so if you do have heavy soil or there was compaction that's the most likely explanation. If there are lots and lots of roots that can indicate excess nitrogen.

Our soil is really sandy and we have a great crop this year even though it's been dry.

HTH.  :carrot: :carrot: :carrot:

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2013, 11:39:34 am »
As Dan says (of course  :notworthy: ) plus:   for future years, don't use fresh manure.  You can prepare 'trenches' to grow your carrots  :carrot: in by digging out a 'V'shaped trough the depth your carrots  :carrot: claim to grow.  Fill the trench with multipurpose compost and sow your carrots  :carrot: into that.  If you also loosen up the soil below the level of the bottom of the trench then any longer roots won't be stunted.
If any of your crop has carrot  :carrot: rootfly maggots in, then you need to protect your crop next year, either with enviromesh for the full life of the crop, or by growing in a container up on a bench or inside a polytunnel.

Another possible reason for all the little roots could be that, in spite of regular watering, you have only been wetting the surface, so the carrot  :carrot: has to grow lots of small roots to collect any moisture going.   It can take a surprising amount of water to wet dry soil deeply.  To check, you can either use a moisture meter, or dig a few test holes near the row to see how far down the moisture goes.  :garden:
« Last Edit: August 07, 2013, 11:43:51 am by Fleecewife »
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Bert

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Isle of Mull
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2013, 07:51:18 am »
I pulled a couple of test carrots out yesterday. It turns out they aren't ready yet, another couple of weeks. It also turns out I need to improve my watering for my carrots as they had lots of fine roots coming off them. Thanks to reading this post, I now know what that means  ;D .

Padge

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2013, 08:54:23 am »
I hadn't realised that the frondy bits were due to lack of water  just assumed i'd left them in too long  :thumbsup:
do have a good crop this year tho and am about to sow a last lot in the poly :sunshine:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS