Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Creep Feed  (Read 3004 times)

GlebeFieldFarm

• Joined Jul 2013
Creep Feed
« on: July 06, 2013, 10:07:37 pm »
Hi

I'm giving creep to my lambs as they are cades. Just wondered if anyone had any advice on if I need to change to a different feed now as they roughly between 4-5months.

We have average quality grazing.

Also where is the best place to get creep or similar from as individual bags are pricey and the farmer I bought mine off recently is getting anymore :o

Thanks

zarzar

• Joined Jul 2012
  • kent
  • Z.Glenfield :)
Re: Creep Feed
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2013, 10:17:45 pm »
 :wave: we doing same at min to as our first cades they have creep ad lib and just pick at it generally although chucks help themselves to
1 cat,2 thoroughbred horses,1 dog, handfull of bird various types and hoping to get sheep again

GlebeFieldFarm

• Joined Jul 2013
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2013, 10:31:07 pm »
Apparently haygates do a mixed pallet? Does anyone have experience of this?

I won't get through a pallet of lamb creep before expiry date ???

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2013, 06:13:17 pm »
If you are selling them shortly as prime lambs for £100 then keep going with the creep, if you are keeping then why waste money since you say you have grass

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2013, 06:35:33 pm »
I know some people who restrict cades access to grass, because they say they never do well on it, bloat etc. I wouldn't know myself having never kept one on....

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2013, 08:56:30 am »
I have just returned from taking our first 5 cades for slaughter this year, they were fed creep up until about 12-14wks old and then out on good grass, they have grown very well, the lambs we took today were 5 1/2 months old and could have gone a few weeks ago but we were waiting for the wormer withdrawal to end.
If your grass isn't great I would probably keep feeding but if you've got enough grass to sustain them I'd get them off it and just feed a token amount to keep them bucket tame which is always useful.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS