Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Ryeland Sheep  (Read 6237 times)

Sunnybank

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Leominster, Herefordshire
    • Facebook
Ryeland Sheep
« on: July 06, 2013, 02:20:51 pm »
We went to see some Balwen sheep today and in the same paddock there were some Ryeland sheep and i fell in love with them  :love:  they were the first Ryelands i have seen

While the Balwens hid behind the tree, the ryelands came to the fence and were happy to have some fuss. unfortunately they were not for sale

Are all ryelands this calm and friendly.  we have shetlands at the moment, just as pets and while one or two like a fuss the others keep their distance unless you shake a feed bucket.

I am now considering selling some of my shetlands and getting a couple of ryelands - love the chocolate ones -

Are they easy to look after, and what should i look for when choosing my girls.

Is their fleece good to work with compared to shetlands - it certainly felt nice

look forward to hearing your replies  :) :)

funkyfish

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Devon
Re: Ryeland Sheep
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2013, 02:46:01 pm »
I'd love a couple of them also, I'd like smaller sheep, love the Shetlands too tho. :)

I'm not sure which to get next so will be interested in any replies to your post!
Old and rare breed Ducks, chickens, geese, sheep, guinea pigs, 3 dogs, 3 cats, husband and chicks brooding in the tv cabinate!

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2013, 02:56:51 pm »
There are quite a few people on here with Ryelands and I am sure most of them will say they love their girls (and boys) and I am no exception.
I bought 3 coloured Ryelands in May of last year and then went back to get 2 Ryelands a couple of months later. I don't have anything to compare then with but I think they are easy to keep. Mine come to the bucket and love checking out my pockets for any tidbits. They are too laid back to try to escape. Apparently they don't get many problems with their feet. So far I have just had to trim their hoofs. 
I had 4 lambs this year, 2 ewes and 2 rams (1 each of both colours) which was the most nerve racking time for me as I had never done anything like that before, but its been a great experience and the lambs are thriving.
I have just started spinning the fleece and it looks ok but I have never spun shetland so don't know the difference.
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Blinkers

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Carmarthenshire
  • Carmarthenshire/Pembrokeshire border
    • Glyn Elwyn - Faithmead Herd
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2013, 04:38:18 pm »
Ryeland fleece is lovely to spin and makes beautiful soft sweater type wool  :thumbsup: .    I've still got 2 Coloured ewe lambs for sale plus a coloured shearling ewe.    The white ewe lambs have been booked for some time (although they haven't been collected yet!) but I do have two left and I would sell one of those, but I'm definitely keeping the last one  :innocent: .   PM if you'd like any more info.   Carms/Pembs border SA34
Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again !!
www.glynelwyn.co.uk

kaz

• Joined Jul 2008
  • Ceredigion
  • Dust yourself off when life throws you down.
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2013, 05:32:12 pm »
Carrying on with Blinkers post.
I've also got a couple of coloured ryeland ewe lambs & a couple of coloured ryeland ram lambs, but considering taking one of those to the RFBS show & sale at Ludlow as he is out of last years overall Coloured Ryeland champion at the Royal Welsh show.
Also several nice Ryeland ram lambs, growing well, from good bloodlines. :D
They are probably one of the most laid back breeds I know. As they say an ideal smallholders sheep and ideal for a first time sheep keeper. You won't regret investing in them.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2013, 05:54:02 pm by kaz »
Penybont Ryelands. Ystwyth Coloured Ryelands.  2 alpacas, 2 angora goats, 2 anglo nubian kids, 3golden retrievers a collie and a red fox labrador retriever, geese, ducks & chickens.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2013, 06:03:50 pm »
I have Coloured Ryelands and I love them. Easy to keep, delicious lamb, so far very healthy :fc:

You do need to be careful about fly strike - we shear end of May for that reason (although we've never had a major problem with it).

And you are right in the heart of Ryeland country - Ryeland wool was once so valuable it was known as Leominster Ore  :)

Sunnybank

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Leominster, Herefordshire
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2013, 06:15:59 pm »
 :wave: thanks everyone, sounds like they are a good breed to have  :)

Kaz, when is the show and sale at ludlow as that is just up the road from us

What price am i looking at for a coloured ewe lamb and also a white ewe lamb, haven't decided yet if i want  white ones as we just saw the brown ones today.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2013, 08:00:46 pm »
Some people want white (white anything) for spinning and dyeing but I have also dyed the coloured fleece. Of course it needs to be dyed with a deep colour but it does come out very nice. Plum colour on the fleece is lovely
The other consideration if you have both and assuming you want pedigree is that you will need to maintain 2 flocks i.e. seperate flock numbers and they will need to go to seperate rams

kaz

• Joined Jul 2008
  • Ceredigion
  • Dust yourself off when life throws you down.
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2013, 10:58:50 pm »
The Ryeland Flock Book Society Show & Sale at Ludlow Livestock Market is Saturday 24th August 2013.
Prices at the show & sale last year were quite high, but can't give you an idea what they will be like this year. If you buy privately the price will also be reflected by the breeding lines.
Have a look on the RFBS's website there is a list of breeders on that and there might be someone near you that has stock that they are not taking to the show & sale.
Penybont Ryelands. Ystwyth Coloured Ryelands.  2 alpacas, 2 angora goats, 2 anglo nubian kids, 3golden retrievers a collie and a red fox labrador retriever, geese, ducks & chickens.

mojocafa

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Angus
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2013, 11:07:16 pm »
Rosieb who is giving up has some for sale, check out her thread
pygmy goats, gsd, border collie, scots dumpys, cochins, araucanas, shetland ducks and geese,  marrans, and pea fowl in a pear tree.

funkyfish

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Devon
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2013, 11:27:49 pm »
Anyone breed them in Devon?
Old and rare breed Ducks, chickens, geese, sheep, guinea pigs, 3 dogs, 3 cats, husband and chicks brooding in the tv cabinate!

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2013, 11:58:18 pm »
Love Rylands and Jacobs but since all I have is a small allotment I'll just keep dreaming  :eyelashes:

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2013, 08:32:07 am »
Love Rylands and Jacobs but since all I have is a small allotment I'll just keep dreaming  :eyelashes:
One day Mammyshaz.......

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2013, 02:43:48 pm »
Ryelands almost identical to the Southdown in many ways. We're likely to have some ewe lambs for sale this year and also offer ram hire for those who don't want a ram around the place all year.  We have hired out to cover Ryelands in the past and it seems to have worked well. Average ewe lamb price at the Society sale in Worcester last year was £207 but we charge less than that for people buying off farm.  Mind you this year we had to wait so long for the wool to rise for shearing they were actually carrying 14 months' fleece when we finished them at 10.00 p.m. last night and you could certainly see the effect of John Ellman crossing in Merino to improve the fleece in the 1780's!  They looked very like the Antipodean Merino crosses they've been trying out to work in the UK (Merinos don't like wet weather!)  Anyone very welcome to visit the flock - absolutely no obligation to buy.

VSS

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Pen Llyn
    • Viable Self Sufficiency.co.uk
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2013, 08:37:32 pm »
Have pm'd you.
The SHEEP Book for Smallholders
Available from the Good Life Press

www.viableselfsufficiency.co.uk

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS