Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Cheap 4X4s  (Read 15224 times)

Derby_menagerie

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Derby
Re: Cheap 4X4s
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2013, 09:12:42 am »
Just having a quick look at the rules on towing, as I thought this may be helpful, and the way I read it you don't need an extra test if the stated unladen weight of the vehicle and the plated laden weight of the trailer do not exceed 3.5 tonnes, and the unladen weight of the vehicle exceeds that of the trailer! So a Discovery with a smallish cattle trailer may actually comply! defiently a pig/sheep trailer will be fine! I tow a small pig trailer with a big Merc estate and was a little unsure of the legality of it, but now have the warm fuzzy feeling that I was fine all along! This is relevent to the post as it may effect the choice of vehicle as a larger motor may be better!

Licences held from 1 January 1997
If you passed your driving test after 1 January 1997 and have an ordinary category B (car) licence, you can drive either:

a vehicle up to 3.5 tonnes or 3,500 kilograms (kg) Maximum Authorised Mass (MAM) towing a trailer of up to 750kg MAM (with a combined weight of up to 4,250kg in total)

a trailer over 750kg MAM as long as it is no more than the unladen or ‘kerb’ weight of the towing vehicle (with a combined weight of up to 3,500kg in total)

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2013, 09:18:56 am »
If I recall correctly you do have to have a certificate to transport livestock over a certain distance though dont' you? is it 80km or something!?
The new freelander 2 doesn't come with towbar as standard, I think that says it all really  ;)  When we bought our disco the man who sold it to us (a huge landie enthusiast with a collection of every type!) said "think of the freelander as a luxury car, think of your disco as a posh tractor..."  about right  ;D
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2013, 10:44:09 am »
If I recall correctly you do have to have a certificate to transport livestock over a certain distance though dont' you? is it 80km or something!?

agggh Plums don't start that one again .... the rule is ONLY needed if you move animals as part of a commercial business........ so going to collect a couple of weaners to rear on your holding or a new pet goat ............NO...... buying and selling animals as part of buisness... YES.

Ps another vote for Ford Ranger, our 2nd one, pulls like a train, great off road, bit thirsty towing and no probs reversing now i have sensors :-[ :innocent: :roflanim: !
Sadly i am old enuff to have grand mother rights as regards reversing trailers :relief:

mandy :pig:

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2013, 11:08:21 am »
Fowgill is correct, the certificate is only needed for commercial use.

Welfare rules still apply, but not the certificates etc for private use.

One Interesting point re loading of trailers, this was a confusing area with people thinking they couldn't tow a trailer with a theoretical max capacity that would be above their vehicles limit even tho they never loaded it that much (and police were trying to say that too) , so people were downplating trailers to match the vehicle towing. VOSA has now clarified the position a while back. If you passed your test pre 1997 there is NO problem towing a trailer with a max weight capacity above that of the vehicle towing it, and it does not need downplating. All that matters is (as common sense and reason would dictate) is that your licence allows you to tow the actual weight you are towing (post 97 licences would need a trailer test for this, pre 97 is fine up to 3.5t). And that the weight of the trailer and loaded horse etc doesnt exceed the train weight of the vehicle (which is the point ellied was addressing).

Really if you are towing with anything less than a Landy or similarly giant monster, you are likely only to be able to legally tow a trailer with a horse in if it is a single horse trailer eg Ifor 403 and towed by a certain make and model, eg a Nissan Xtrail could tow a 403 with a single horse in it, but many other SUVs cannot. Double horse trailer will certainly need a Landy, shogun etc for towing it loaded. Post 97 licences will need a trailer test too.

To give you confidence about the rules see the excellent official guide for horsebox and trailer owners published by VOSAhttp://www.dft.gov.uk/vosa/repository/Horsebox%20Guide%20low%20res.pdf

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2013, 12:40:59 pm »
how did you get on with your new discovery plums?

Brijjy

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2013, 01:26:49 pm »
I've got to vote for the Ford Ranger too. We use them at work and they get a hell of alot of abuse and still keep going. My dad changed from a Nissan Navara to a Ranger and he much prefers the Ranger. They are much better on fuel than the Mitsi L200 and a much better, more spacious vehicle altogether. You can pick up L200's quite cheaply but that's because they're crap! Some of our Rangers at work look like the Hilux off Top Gear but they still keep running!
Silly Spangled Appenzellers, Dutch bantams, Lavender Araucanas, a turkey called Alistair, Muscovy ducks and Jimmy the Fell pony. No pig left in the freezer, we ate him all!

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2013, 02:32:30 pm »
You can pick up L200's quite cheaply but that's because they're crap!

i think they changed country of manufacture, since the move the gaskits go quite often, but the earlier models are ok.

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2013, 04:51:59 pm »
how did you get on with your new discovery plums?

Absolutely LOVE it!!! considering the freelander is less than a year old, the disco has taken over  in my affections as 'my' car  ;D and its an old workhorse but I don't care!

agggh Plums don't start that one again .... the rule is ONLY needed if you move animals as part of a commercial business........ so going to collect a couple of weaners to rear on your holding or a new pet goat ............NO...... buying and selling animals as part of buisness... YES.

haha! sorry Mandy! It was just something I half heard at a goat meeting, I'll be honest...I wasn't listening 100% as I have no intention of ever driving too far with goats anyway, I was probably imagining Robbie williams half naked or something instead at the time  :innocent:
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2013, 06:20:11 pm »
If you can find an old Diahatsu Fourtrack, they are ticketed for 3.5 tonnes and usually cheap to buy/easy enough to repair.

I have a Defender and personally, I dont think you can fault them - apart from the fact they are slow. Parts are dirt cheap, easy to repair even if you are not a mechanic, peanuts to insure....

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2013, 06:11:37 pm »
I just love my Cr-V. It's not as flashy as other 4x4s, does use less petrol as it switches to 4x4 when it needs to but it does all it needs to do  :&>

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2013, 06:27:51 pm »
Just to add - some of the options seem to have a different definition of 'cheap' from me... ;D

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2013, 10:31:43 pm »
depends if you want a new or used one, of course  ;)

Shropshirelass

• Joined Jul 2012
  • South Shropshire
  • A country lass who loves it all!
« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2013, 09:49:50 am »
Theres no way I could afford new car prices at present & to be honest new cars loose too much value, so I'd always prefer a 2nd hand 1 at present all I want is a 4x4 that is handy to feed livestock & deal with off roading & snow that'll tow a small garden trailer & sheep & pig trailer  that'll hold a couple of ewes or lambs - I won't be doing any heavy duty towing for a while yet plus I don't think I have enough experience to handle moving some of the massive 4x4s u lot have been talking about & some of the 1s your on about are way too pricey I'm only looking to spend £1500 give or take. This is why I'm on about SMALL 4x4s x

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #28 on: July 09, 2013, 09:58:56 am »
well, the Honda Cr-v isn't big and now it would be a good time to look as most folks want to buy them before the snow hits. if this model is of interest to you make sure you look for the "intelligent 4x4". :&>

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #29 on: July 09, 2013, 10:01:58 am »
I don't think I have enough experience to handle moving some of the massive 4x4s u lot have been talking about & some of the 1s your on about are way too pricey I'm only looking to spend £1500 give or take. This is why I'm on about SMALL 4x4s x

the discovery is perfect for farms and towing. its also VERY easy to drive, it feels safe and is really easy to park in the town etc as you can see all 4 corners  ;D   unlike my seat where its like driving blind. i prefer driving a disco to a L200. you can also get one for your price range, just watch for dodgy gaskits.
Fuel wise its no more expensive to run than my Seat MPV.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS