Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Help!!  (Read 5593 times)

CameronS

• Joined Aug 2009
  • North East Fife
Re: Help!!
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2013, 10:37:13 pm »
If they're not lost, they might be stolen...

Not by mee! i swear! haha!!

Phoned the police - nobody hsd reported and quail lost/stolen  and if they (police) heard anything they would contact me - if there was no reports by 10pm they are legally mine.

They both seem to be making a whistely peep - noting defining as a crow as yet.

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2013, 11:26:16 pm »
Happygolucky, the foam is very light and airy and is mostly seen on top of a male's pooh, though can be without pooh - not quite the right material for filling gaps  ;)  It's bright white and unmistakable.

CameronS, so you're now the proud owner of a pair of birds? If one is a quail cockerel you'll hear him crow - and they start just as early in the morning as chicken cockerels!  ;D  Not as loud, though  ;)

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2013, 11:43:43 pm »
 :wave: :fc:  well at least they have a home and I do  have filler

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2013, 08:43:51 am »
Japanese quail come in lots of different colours. Same species just different colours and all lay exactly the same. There is the "wild" colour that most people will be aware of but they also come in fawn, white, platinum, cream,range, dark chestnut and tuxedo. Only the "wild" are easily sexed by plummage.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2013, 08:50:40 am »
Ith, any guesses as to age?  Cameron says they are about 3 inches high
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2013, 02:11:04 pm »
I keep quail that are super easy to sex by their colour.  :)  There are many other breeds than the japanese one and the names are often mixed up.

Fully feathered yet only 3 inches high? Is that the body only? My Italian/ golden quail are some of the smallest breeds around and as adults their bodies alone are already bigger than that.

Try Quail Farm in Wales to see if they can confirm the species. Or you could just say "what the heck" and put them in an aviary and enjoy  ;)  I take it they are officially yours now?

My quail lay like mad, btw, and their hormones are in constant overdrive  ;D

adamhfc

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2013, 02:38:54 pm »
they are cpq Chinese painted quail

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2013, 03:10:04 pm »
they are cpq Chinese painted quail
What size will they grow to and if they are about 3 inches high now, how old are they? Just found this, they only grow to 4.5 to 5 inches, the smallest of the quail family and known as 'button' quail  - http://chinesepaintedquail.co.uk/
« Last Edit: July 04, 2013, 03:14:50 pm by doganjo »
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2013, 06:07:17 pm »
Strange  that you keep on finding birds, Cameron - maybe someone left them near your house as they know you would look after them? At first glance I thought the beak looks rather like of a young predator, maybe sparrowhawk? If you suspect this might be true you could contact a ranger...good luck!  :&>

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2013, 08:48:41 pm »
I sent the picture to a Chines Painted website and they confirmed that they are CPQ hens, a red breasted and a cinnamon.  I've also been offered a Japanese yellow, and if Cameron or anyone else can give me his post code I'll pick his up on Monday afternoon.  Their new home is all ready for them, and I have orders for eggs already!  I will need teensy egg boxes so if anyone knows where I can get them please tell me - soon  :excited: :excited:

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2013, 08:52:05 pm »
wow, Annie, you are good! maybe you can make wee nesting boxes? Thinking of ice cream tubs  :&>

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2013, 10:13:37 pm »
http://www.flytesofancy.co.uk/chickenhouses/Egg_Boxes_and_Labels.html

my daughter used to love boiled quails eggs for breakfast.  :yum:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS