Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Anything else I can do for my sow? Urgent!!  (Read 9180 times)

Jackie 2

• Joined May 2010
  • North Killingholme
Re: Anything else I can do for my sow? Urgent!!
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2013, 04:22:37 am »
Thanks so very much for your help and advice.

Yes I saw both placentas, one mum was eating and the other was in her bed, alongside a dead piglet burried in the straw.

The vet tried to examine her internally but she had already closed up so he couldn't get his hand in.

Great idea about the beer :) Ill do that today

The update is that she has eaten some banana and apples and a few other goodies which seemed to trigger her hunger response and she then ate half her pig food that I had fed her in the morning and was still on the ground.

I thought Id take the risk and bring back 2 piglets to see how she would cope, I know that mum can rear them much better than I can, she was still standing in the field, but although she wasn't very maternal and kept moving in circles when they latched on I thought Id give her a little shock and remind her shes now a mum and picked one up so it squealed, result! She didn't like that and turned to face me so I put it back on the ground and she nosed it and actually stood still so it could feed!

After 10 mins I decided to bring the rest of the babies back in pairs so she wasn't overwhelmed but rather than take them to her in the field I put them in her bed and picked them up so they squealed. She waddled over to her bed and promptly lay on 2! I tapped her ear to get her up and she stood and the piglets got out of the way.

Mum then settled back down half in and half out of her bed but all 9 of the piglets are sucking away!!!

Its just getting light outside so I shall pop out and see what going on but hopefully she is over the crisis.
  :fc:

As you can see I'm very hands on with my pigs and they know and trust me for which I am very grateful as I couldn't have helped her as much as I have without the trust she gives me because if a 400lb pig decided to go for me when injecting or holding the piglets there would have been nothing I could have done but run. Even the vet said shes a very calm pig.

Jackie 2

• Joined May 2010
  • North Killingholme
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2013, 04:28:13 am »
Last night her vulva has returned to that lovely healthy pink rather than the purple/blue colour indicative of septicemia so hopefully the antibiotic has caught the infection in time.

I have decided that next time we have a litter I will treat with antibiotics prolifically and with oxytocin, mum will be covered right from the start then.

Eastling

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2013, 07:29:52 am »
Great news  :fc:  all continues to improve for both of you.
Labradors leave foot prints on your heart as well as your clothes

HappyHippy

« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2013, 08:51:43 am »
I'm so glad to hear she's settling better  :thumbsup: Wishing her (and you  ;)) continued improvements  :fc:

I have decided that next time we have a litter I will treat with antibiotics prolifically and with oxytocin, mum will be covered right from the start then.
Is she an older sow ? We found with our older ladies (7 years old) that they needed to oxytocin to help move the last few piglets out, we gave them a jab after the first piglet was born, not before.
I'd be wary of over using anti-B's though - obviously if you ever have to 'go in' to retrieve piglets or check internally, they need it and if there's any sign of temperature being raised then it's a no-brainer - but over use might lead to resistance (as in humans).

Keep us posted with developments,
Karen

Berkshire Boy

• Joined May 2011
  • Presteigne, Powys
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2013, 08:59:46 am »
Great news Jackie sounds like you have beaten it well done. :excited: Like you I have a very calm herd of pigs which makes treating them so much easier.
Everyone makes mistakes as the Dalek said climbing off the dustbin.

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2013, 09:30:05 am »
Just catching up and when i first read this my heart sunk as i lost my wonderful Ruby to septicemia and it was an awful death :'( :(  and i would never wish the like of it on anyone. I am so pleased it looks to have a positive outcome :relief: :fc: 
They sound like they're in good hands.
all the best Mandy

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2013, 09:52:09 am »
Come on mum, you can do it  :pig:
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2013, 09:58:18 am »
 :relief:  Hopefully all will go well now  :fc:
Anne

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2013, 10:31:46 am »
Delighted to see better news today  :thumbsup:

benkt

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Cambridgeshire
    • Hempsals Community Farm
« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2013, 10:54:30 am »
Well done! Sounds like she's on the mend with thanks to your care.

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2013, 11:17:19 am »
That's brilliant news Jackie  :thumbsup:

Mother nature has it's way of overcoming many things & it's great to hear that your girl has such a good relationship with you - hopefully the little family will flourish now under the care of both their mums  :love:

Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2013, 11:39:23 am »
Well done to you both! :D

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #27 on: July 04, 2013, 11:44:23 am »
Awww - well done and good luck :-)
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

Jackie 2

• Joined May 2010
  • North Killingholme
« Reply #28 on: July 04, 2013, 05:41:24 pm »
Thank you all again :)

Karen mum is only 2 and its her first so shock may have been a major factor too. I take your point about the anti's.

Today mum is eating normally and feeding the babies well, I can now see fat little tummies on them so that's great :)

I think the crisis is over thank goodness. It was very scary while it was going on.

Jackie 2

• Joined May 2010
  • North Killingholme
« Reply #29 on: July 04, 2013, 05:43:55 pm »
I am sorry to read that you lost your Ruby with septicemia Karen, its awful knowing that there nothing you can do but hope

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS