Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Anything else I can do for my sow? Urgent!!  (Read 9181 times)

Jackie 2

• Joined May 2010
  • North Killingholme
Anything else I can do for my sow? Urgent!!
« on: July 03, 2013, 02:13:57 pm »

Lop had her first litter about 26 hours ago and this morning at 5am she was ill.

I called the vet and she has septicemia for which she has 48 hour broad spectrum anti's plus is having oxytocin in case there's more piglets as she is still hard. Vet says to remove piglets as mum has very little milk which we have done and they are under a heat lamp. They dont like the replacer milk but Im sure will get used to it I hope.
Lop gave birth to 11 piglets 2 of which she lay on so we didnt think there was anymore left. The vet isnt sure.
She isnt eating or drinking just standing outside her pen puffing panting and foaming at the mouth with chomping. She is looking very swaybacked (back very dipped down.  Her temperature is low.
Is there anything else I can do to help her?

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
Re: Anything else I can do for my sow? Urgent!!
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2013, 02:52:43 pm »
Try to encourage her to intake liquid of some sort - melon, cucumber - what's her favourite?
Did the vet explain the reason for removing the piglets?  Suckling releases natural hormones that help with expulsion of the afterbirth & encourages further milk production.
Personally I'd get the vet back out.  What an awful experience for her (& you) on her first litter - hope she pulls through ok  :fc:
 :love: :pig: :love:
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

Jackie 2

• Joined May 2010
  • North Killingholme
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2013, 03:39:41 pm »
Shes not eating anything, Ive tried all sorts and will try more. I'm chopping things into bite size pieces and trying to hand feed which she normally will do for treats, but not today :(

The vet said feeding the piglets will cause extra strain on her plus only 3 were feeding as she is standing in the field and wont go back into her house where they are, the 3 walked (tottered) to her. She wont even lie down.

The vet came this morning and the sow is covered by antibiotics for the next 24 hours so here nothing more the vet can do for her. The antibiotics either stop the infection or she dies. Its a horrendous macabre waiting game. :(

I sit with her talking quietly and stroking her so she knows she isnt alone but its heartbreaking :(

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2013, 03:43:23 pm »
sorry, can't offer any advice but  :fc:  for her
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Jackie 2

• Joined May 2010
  • North Killingholme
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2013, 03:45:02 pm »
Thank you :)

BlackBoab

• Joined Jul 2013
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2013, 03:46:03 pm »
was it a difficult birth?  are they big piglets? 2-4lbs or bigger     did you assist with the birth?
regards bb

Jackie 2

• Joined May 2010
  • North Killingholme
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2013, 03:49:34 pm »
No fairly easy and quite small piglets and no it was all done when I got up.

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2013, 03:52:06 pm »
Sounds like something has been left in her. Do hope she recovers and her little piglets thrive.  :fc:

Jackie 2

• Joined May 2010
  • North Killingholme
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2013, 03:53:43 pm »
Im hoping the oxytocin will help  :fc:

Thank you, it isnt looking good. :'(

BlackBoab

• Joined Jul 2013
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2013, 03:58:21 pm »
not all pigs take to motherhood,it is a shock to them to have greating weans demanding a fed.Did you observe if both placentas had been expelled?
regards bb

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2013, 04:01:04 pm »
She sounds totally traumatised - bless  :(
I know the vet has given you good reason for keeping the piglets off of her, but might it be worth taking 1 or 2 across to her to see if she'll sniff them or show any interest in them at all - maybe maternal instinct will pull her through  :fc:
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

Berkshire Boy

• Joined May 2011
  • Presteigne, Powys
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2013, 04:32:15 pm »
Don't want to have a downer but this happened to my sow a few years ago and I'm afraid she died. The vet tried everything but couldn't make a difference. Hope your experience is different but I would prepare yourself for the worst. :hug: :hug:
Everyone makes mistakes as the Dalek said climbing off the dustbin.

HappyHippy

« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2013, 04:43:26 pm »
Try giving her something to relax her. If the vet's coming back out a shot of stresnil will do the job (failing that, get a couple of cans of beer or ale into her - pour them into a bucket, she should drink it) she'll lie down, possibly outside ? but you'll be able to get a couple of stronger piglets latched and suckling  :thumbsup:
As Beewyched has said, it'll trigger the natural oxytocin response from her and should help 'flush' her womb. If she's had a jab of oxy and nothing has happened for more than an hour and she still seems distressed - you'll have to try going in to check there's not a piglet stuck and blocking the way. Wash your hands (or put on a long sterile glove) use plenty of lubricant and just gently slide your hand in (between contractions) to see if you can feel anything.
When the piglets are suckling you'll need to stay there the whole time and supervise. Also try the sqeezy sports bottles filled with some water or water/fruit juice mix to encourage her to drink - put the bottle right into her mouth and hold her head up to help her.
Keeping everything crossed for you and your sow  :fc:
Keep us posted, Karen x

Eastling

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2013, 08:30:14 pm »
Sorry to hear this. Not got any experience of this but you could try liquidising some fruit and mix with some water to make it sloppy and try with a 50ml syringe in the side of the her mouth. Could you put some straw outside to make a bed for her. Would the vet prescribe some pain relief for her to make her more comfy? I 've got Finadyn paste which is for horses that works quite well.
 :fc:  for you and her.
Labradors leave foot prints on your heart as well as your clothes

Tudful Tamworths

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Liz's website
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2013, 10:50:02 pm »
Sorry I've seen this so late. Slightly surprised the vet recommended removing the piglets. Personally, I would have kept them feeding for as long as possible, on the basis that I'd prefer to lose a sow than an entire litter, and also (as others have said) the suckling would help expel any afterbirth/piglets - alive or dead.
I think you've done all you can do, and I hope she pulls through - and the piglets, too. Very best of luck. Liz
www.lizshankland.com www.biggingerpigs.com
Author of the Haynes Pig Manual, Haynes Smallholding Manual, and the Haynes Sheep Manual. Three times winner of the Tamworth Champion of Champions. Teaching smallholding courses at Kate Humble's farm: www.humblebynature.com

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS