Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Kune Kune female piglets - possibly wanted August - East Yorks  (Read 4864 times)

cuckoo

• Joined Jan 2011
Hi,

Considering getting a pair of kune kune pigs.  Would want female.  Would want them young as would need them to grow up to be very friendly.

We are at Goole - anyone got any available around August time? - Within a reasonable travelling distance please.

Would also be interested in visiting some to see how other people keep theirs.

We have been keeping OSBs for 5 years and have bred some litters so not new to pigs - just new to Kune Kunes!

Thanks  :wave:

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
Re: Kune Kune female piglets - possibly wanted August - East Yorks
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2013, 10:16:51 pm »
hi Cuckoo - as you know we are just down the road from you and have a litter of micro pigs that will be available soon. You're welcome to come and see them. If you want to compare micros with kune kunes - Too Hoots Nursery at Carlton (well West Bank)  have got a pen of each next to each other so it gives an idea of the size difference.
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2013, 10:22:35 am »
have a litter of micro pigs that will be available soon.
i can't believe that a TASer is involved in this abominable trade >:( :'( :o ??? 

Mandy :pig:
PS if you want KK's contact Wendy Scudamore on here or go to the KK website for breeders in your area.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2013, 10:24:16 am by Fowgill Farm »

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2013, 10:38:53 am »
i can't believe that a TASer is involved in this abominable trade >:( :'( :o ??? 

PS if you want KK's contact Wendy Scudamore on here or go to the KK website for breeders in your area.

Hear hear Mandy  :thumbsup:
 http://www.britishkunekunesociety.org.uk/
 :love: :pig: :love:

Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

HappyHippy

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2013, 12:31:01 pm »
Hi Cuckoo,

Kunekunes are (in my opinion  ;)) fantastic little pigs  :thumbsup:
Are you looking at them as pets, pork or do you intend to breed from them ?

I've found that for outdoor 'pet' pigs, castrated boars are the best choice (no raging hormones or piggy PMT to worry about) gilts, once sexually mature, will go off out and about looking for a boar when they're in season  ::) (it's when almost all of our escapes happen  ;))

There are a few breeders in Yorkshire, here's Simon at Dalehouse farms' website http://www.dalehousefarm.com/kunekune/ but if you search the breeders directory that Beewyched has directed you to, you'll find more  :thumbsup:
If you're looking for them to raise as pork, tread carefully  ;) Some breeders don't like the thought of this and will refuse to sell you piglets  :-\

Good luck and give us a shout if you need any more help  :wave:
Karen

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2013, 01:52:34 pm »

Sorry Mandy - have I missed something?? ???  I don't understand? What is abominable about keeping micropigs? I have small cattle (Dexters), small sheep (Shetlands), small poultry (bantams), a miniature donkey, and a small mule. (I also have more commercial, larger animals.) But why is keeping small pigs any different, and why is it abominable? My pigs are kept in a really large straw bedded pen where they can route around and the piglets have free range of a grass field. They have a lot more freedom and are kept more naturally than a lot of commercial pigs. You are welcome to come and see them.
They don't get taken to market where they are kicked, shouted at, and mixed with a load of others as they are taken to the abbatoir, where you have no control of the abuse that takes place. (Yes, I'm talking about a market local to you, where I've watched it happen.) Any that I don't sell privately will be slaughtered privately and go in our freezer.
Mandy, I have no argument with you or Beewyched, but I do resent this instant judgement of something that (in my case) you know nothing about. :rant: 
« Last Edit: July 03, 2013, 02:01:19 pm by landroverroy »
Rules are made:

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2013, 03:51:14 pm »

Sorry Mandy - have I missed something?? ???  I don't understand? What is abominable about keeping micropigs? I have small cattle (Dexters), small sheep (Shetlands), small poultry (bantams), a miniature donkey, and a small mule. (I also have more commercial, larger animals.) But why is keeping small pigs any different, and why is it abominable? My pigs are kept in a really large straw bedded pen where they can route around and the piglets have free range of a grass field. They have a lot more freedom and are kept more naturally than a lot of commercial pigs. You are welcome to come and see them.
They don't get taken to market where they are kicked, shouted at, and mixed with a load of others as they are taken to the abbatoir, where you have no control of the abuse that takes place. (Yes, I'm talking about a market local to you, where I've watched it happen.) Any that I don't sell privately will be slaughtered privately and go in our freezer.
Mandy, I have no argument with you or Beewyched, but I do resent this instant judgement of something that (in my case) you know nothing about. :rant:

From my personal experience of micro/mini/teacup pigs is that there has always been concerns about the welfare of the animal.  Usually with upset owners who have been left with an animal that has outgrown all size expectations that they are desperate to "get rid" of it, being several hundreds of pounds out-of-pocket - not just from some crazy purchase price, but from vet bills & destruction of property by a depressed & stressed lonely pig that has often been fed inappropriately.
All this misery has been caused by people only interested in making money, with no care about what happens to the pig once it's been sold on - I am always happy to be proved wrong.
As for the conditions at that mart - I think a word in AH's ear is needed  :(

Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2013, 04:26:18 pm »
I understand, Beewhyched, that you keep Kune Kunes?
Every time they are mentioned by anyone, I don't go raking up stories of when people have bought them and haven't known how to keep them or not realised how big they'll grow, or that they'd dig up their garden. It's happened with KKs and Vietnamese pot bellied as well, but it doesn't give me the right to assume that everyone who keeps them is a complete numpty.
So similarly, what exactly have the unsuitable people who buy micropigs got to do with me or anyone else on this forum?
I, in all sincerity answered a post by Cuckoo. She has bought animals off me before as she lives very near.
I have NOWHERE mentioned teapot pigs, house pigs, pet pigs, or any other unsuitable role for pigs. You have seen the advice I have given people in the past as you have commented and agreed with me. So, if you've got a thing about unsuitable selling of pigs,then take it up with the people concerned and stop this witch hunt of genuine smallholders who ACTUALLY know how to look after pigs and ACTUALLY like small ones. And if you are fed up of  micro pigs being discussed, then I suggest you take a deep breath and move on and leave the subject to people who actually enjoy and keep them.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2013, 04:40:23 pm by landroverroy »
Rules are made:

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2013, 04:42:28 pm »
In accordance with site policy we do not allow pigs to be described as micro to be traded through the site, you either list their cross or they are sold as pigs!!!

It is a very contentious issue and i am locking this thread if the OP wishes to restart and it stays on subject,  the OP asked about Kunes not Micro's then the thread will be allowed to run.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS