Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: "Goaty" milk.  (Read 1982 times)

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
"Goaty" milk.
« on: July 01, 2013, 07:05:21 pm »
what causes goats milk to taste goaty?
i had a pint of fresh goats milk (handmilked) in the fridge and was using it for coffee and it was delicious, creamy with no hint of goat at all. then an hour later i had some more and it was terribly goaty, so strong that i could taste it for ages in the back of my throat.

i had filtered the milk through a fine metal sieve. maybe a muslin cloth would have been better?
goaty milk is like fish with bones - puts me off for ages. :innocent:

any ideas how tp prevent the goaty taste coming through? im guessing its impurities?

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
Re: "Goaty" milk.
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2013, 07:13:54 pm »
Really chill it, instantly, no waiting til you've finished your other chores. I put mine in the bottom of the freezer straightaway, til it's almost developing ice crystals.

Obviously no billies anywhere near.

If these don't help, your goat might need a cobalt supplement.

Ellie's milk tasted odd once, and Doug on here recommended a periodic drench of Formula Co+B12 with selenium. Worked like a dream and a lot more economical than some of the more highly priced 'sprinkle on their food' minerals, plus you know they've had it.

cans

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2013, 09:21:33 pm »
Hi there Shygirl,
Use a bit of muslin when straining the milk.  It may not improve the taste but it will help remove any really fine "bits" that have gotten into the milk. 
The taste sometimes depends on what you are feeding, and the breed of goat can sometimes give that interesting aftertaste.
I find shop bought goats milk usually has that 'billy' smell when the carton is sniffed.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2013, 10:50:16 pm »
Almost certainly a mineral/multi-vit drench with Copper (usual sheep one) will help sort it out.

Sometimes if it is quite humid unpasteurised milk can turn very quickly if left out of the fridge.

I use standard milkfilters in a conical stainless steel filter, but of course muslin would be less waste etc etc, except I already spend most of my day at the sink...

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS