Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Local dog walks  (Read 7028 times)

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
Local dog walks
« on: June 29, 2013, 08:34:04 pm »
I asked this before, we do have loads of lovely walks around but some I do not go to due to sheep being too near the walk, or roads, we  use some parts of the disued rail line but then some parts are far too hazados, funny thing I hardly meet any one but when I do its the same people, a vet or his wife and another couple and then a few others and a dog walker.
I love Devilla forest for being dog friendly, I either go around the boat house and Tullialan woods, stop for a chat with the lady who owns the  boat house or go to Pepper mill dam, although giving that one a  miss now due to fishing going on, sometimes the lines are left. I never go to Gartmorn as that can be too busy but is nice and we never go to Glen Devon, too steep in places. I love Culross but find the walks a bit dull unless we have a coffee there...so....I again, really want to take the dogs to a nice dog friendly beach, been to the one near Rosemary and was followed by soldiers but where else nearish to either Clackmannanshire or no more than 30 miles away.
We also are going tomorrow to Loch Leven, that's beautiful, then pop in for a posh tea at Loch Levens Larder :P , anyway......we want clean water and some sand please?

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
Re: Local dog walks
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2013, 09:19:53 pm »
cant help with sand but we joined the national trust and try and visit somewhere each weekend. the majority have walks included in their grounds, some walks are hours long.

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2013, 09:48:14 pm »
I suppose its just a change I want, it would be nice to get a rough beach with sand dunes etc rather than trees and lochs......as much as I love them!!

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2013, 05:44:56 pm »
We just came back from a lovely walk around a park of Loch Leven then afternoon tea in the Larder...super...there is sand all around and the parking is yards from the water, our dogs and our in laws dog, loved the swim.....nice place and I fancy going again........although I did actually want the sea or estuary but it was good enough......so back to the forest then!!

WhiteHorses

• Joined Apr 2013
  • West Lothian, Scotland
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2013, 08:14:29 pm »
I'm not sure about distance from you, but Blackness has a dog friendly beach walk - we went there again today and Crammond is also a good place to take them.

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2013, 08:22:07 pm »
I am thinking of getting an app together for dog friendly walks across the country.  Seems like a lot of people don't know where to walk their dogs!  Do you think there is a market?

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2013, 08:30:25 pm »
That sounds  brilliant...a few years ago we saw a local forest with a few cars parked next to it in the lay bye so decided to have a look as it seemed popular..............................and it was...........with doggers :-[
We also like the idea of going to places where we can eat out with our 3 dogs

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2013, 09:15:02 pm »
I shall look how far Blackness and Crammond  are from us.........thanks

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2013, 09:23:51 pm »
WhiteHorses, is Crammond the island in Edinburgh? and Blackness near Falkirk? They sound ideal.....need some new places to visit.
The phone rang so had to stop writing,  but a list of dog friendly walks would be fantastic, not sure if there are many about but the other thing is parking, I like a walk to  be away from the main road and not near to farm fields,  although I trust my dogs but do not want to take a chance, once we heard a car stop and found that ours had gone up a bank on the disused train line and gone over to the other side of the road, it frightened me and it was good that the car was going slow, they were only a few feet away from us as well but mine love going up banks.

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2013, 10:35:14 pm »
we have miles and miles of different beaches and sand dunes here (aberdeenshire, usually you are the only ones on the beach. i couldnt ever move away from the sea, id love a place with beach frontage, even if i have to go further north.
today we were in aberdeen and were watching seals and dolphins in the harbour, made my day.

WhiteHorses

• Joined Apr 2013
  • West Lothian, Scotland
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2013, 10:39:54 pm »
Yes Blackness is very near Linlithgow EH49 7NH is the castle there. And there are woods as well as the beach. Yes- Crammond village is shore-side of Crammond Island on Edinburgh. The walk across the causeway to the island at low tide is lovely the island is interesting and the ruined farmhouse is fun to find, but beware of lots of broken glass near the buildings on the island itself if you do take the dogs across. Otherwise the beach to the easy of the causeway is a nice walk.

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2013, 10:47:13 pm »
Thanks, that's so funny as some one on my facebook was on about Crammond as well........
Shygirl, my ideal house would have sea one side and woodland the other but within a short drive to Tesco ha aha ahaha :roflanim:

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2013, 10:53:53 pm »
I am thinking of getting an app together for dog friendly walks across the country.  Seems like a lot of people don't know where to walk their dogs!  Do you think there is a market?

Can I suggest you include places where dogs can be let off leash without being able to escape - for instance hounds are known for sight chasing and many owners just daren't let them off.

The new deer fenced areas at Gartmorn Country Park (three of them) are ideal so long as idiots don't swing the gates back against the fence, although that has been rectified with retainer posts since I mentioned it to Susan the owner of the farm.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2013, 10:59:45 pm »
I noticed Gartmorn had done that, its great for walks, we used to go there a lot but pnce Rohan stole someones lunch as we all passed by so I tend to keep away in the fishing season.....too many treats to temp them and too many people

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2013, 11:09:34 pm »
I don't go along the Dam shoreline at all now, no need since those three fenced areas are so good.  Mine would run through the fishing lines too and there are ducklings and other baby waterbirds just now too, so I never used to go there at this time of year even before these fields were fenced. That was part of the reason Susan and her husband made these areas.  It is a SSSI and a Nature Reserve after all, we need to care for the wildlife.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS