Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Catering at livestock markets and agri shows  (Read 7003 times)

feldar

• Joined Apr 2011
  • lymington hampshire
Re: Catering at livestock markets and agri shows
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2013, 09:39:30 am »
Bath and West show was pants :P  the livestock food hall was expenisive and the portions small. Compared to Devon show they suck. The burgers and mobile food stalls were good but as usual they were very expensive.
On to a related subject :-J   the toilets at B&W were awful i know we have animals but we don't live like them, in fact nothing likes to live in it's own sh**, the toilets were overflowing in the livestock carpark and the sanitary boxes in the ladies were also overflowing! a big thumbs down for them I doubt i will go again.

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2013, 09:50:32 am »
On to a related subject :-J   the toilets

Have to say at both Three Counties Malvern & Cheshire show the toilet facilities were exceptionally good, constantly serviced by a whole raft of operatives, plenty of soap & towels and very clean.
Food mixed bag as ever the usual dross burger vans and stuff but if you looked hard and paid the price there was good food to be had (the pizza oven mentioned on a previous post was at Malvern and there were some good local foods available at Cheshire)
Mandy :pig:

Hassle

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2013, 10:17:49 pm »
Melton Market, has a lot of food resellers and the majority are top notch.  The pub does breakfast and its a resonable affair.

Newark Market is probably the best breakfast at markets I attend, they have had their moments, trying other sausages, but most farmers aren't shy at expressing their distaste  :farmer:

Markets down south surprise me Vince and Pullin I think near Cirencester, struggled last year at the rare breeds sale, they had a tiny little frying pan machine and couldn't keep up, it must have been close to an hour wait.

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2013, 11:22:22 pm »
"Unfortunately, the big negative from the show, also comes from the food sector. If Scotland really does want to be portrayed as the Land of Food and Drink, then crappy burgers in dry rolls at around a fiver a time must be consigned to the history books."
The quote above is from the editorial in The Scottish Farmer last week.
How does the catering rate at your local livestock market and local agri show? Does it actively support quality, local produce and producers?

I read that and thought it was interesting..... Myself I thought it was a little bit harsh. The food isn't brilliant at every stand, but there are some good food stands there. The prices are high, they have been for years because they have a captive market! If I know people are visiting, I tell them to bring a picnic if they can.

I would say there are three kinds of food stands at RHS, stands in the food hall, stands in the show ground who have paid for their particular pitch as a trade stand, and the company that RHS has a contract with. There is good food available- what other show do you see stall selling fresh shellfish to eat? I haven't seen that anywhere else.

The contracted company isn't great, it's effectively fish and chip type food, but a bit less good than your local chippie. However- it does sterling service for exhibitors. Where else can you get something hot to eat at 6:30 pm on Sunday night ahead of your 3 hour drive home? No where else in the showground- that's what RHS have the contract for. I would add though, the stock mans restaurant- they haven't changed their menu in at least 15 years!

In all honesty, why should it stop at food? What beer do they sell in the herdsmen? Shouldn't they be promoting local scottish small beer/ale/cider producers? But no one ever mentions that....

Strathaven show does a great lunch- they use a local bakery, and they do great food.

Beth

BlackBoab

• Joined Jul 2013
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2013, 07:14:29 pm »
Since it is the RHS that this is about,all pitches are on a rental even the ones (contracted to the show). Gilbert(country kitchen) had an involvement with the previous caterers (strachan kerr) All the food retailers could be cheaper if the show did not charge an arm and a leg for there pitches. i think from memory the herdsmans rental is£18,000 and the smaller stands are £1,800   Try getting a burger van into T  in the park. I liked the simmental steak burger at a £5 washed down with a £3.50 pint of lager

Biggar show catering is run by a small tea room.
regards bb

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2013, 07:50:14 pm »
I had really good stovies at the Highland  ;D

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2013, 06:33:12 pm »
I neglected to attend southsheep last year, but when I went in 2012, there was a notable absence of anything on offer that had any lamb in it, which was pretty poor....

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2013, 06:43:34 pm »
I neglected to attend southsheep last year, but when I went in 2012, there was a notable absence of anything on offer that had any lamb in it, which was pretty poor....

That's really bad, I wonder if they couldn't find anyone, didn't bother to try or assumed all sheep farmers get to eat plenty of lamb the rest of the year?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS