Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: selling battery eggs as free range!!!  (Read 4545 times)

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
selling battery eggs as free range!!!
« on: June 29, 2013, 12:01:05 pm »
Did any else catch the Jeremy Vine radio 2 story yesterday about a pair of pensioners selling eggs in their honesty box?

Turns out they had chickens but they had gone off laying so they bought in 12,000 battery eggs from a battery farm, scrubbed off the mark and sold them in their honesty box. They were caught by Trading Standards and each were prosecuted!  :rant:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/pensioners-who-bought-battery-eggs-2005024
keeper of goats, sheep, pigs, ducks, chickens, turkeys, dogs, cats, goldfish and children, just don't ask me which is the most work!

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
Re: selling battery eggs as free range!!!
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2013, 12:12:45 pm »
 :)  Would not have been so bad had they bought in free range eggs, but probably too costly.  I bet they made some money out of it too.  I assume they did not buy all those eggs at once - just trying to imagine my little box by the gate crammed full!!

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2013, 12:21:51 pm »
Twelve thousand  :o   Must have been the income they lived on, so going off lay would matter.  For us, we just take the sign down when we don't have enough to sell.

I hope they didn't buy them all at the same time - they'd be rotten before the last ones had sold  :P

Apparently battery eggs can leave a faint mark on the shell where they have dried against wire mesh in the roll-away trays of battery systems so the cheats  can be caught by forensic proof  :thumbsup:

Goes to show that not all pensioners are cuddly old grannies.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2013, 12:23:28 pm »
no, they were getting 2/3 trays a week and made approx £900 profit

thankfully between me and mum we have about 100 hens, so if mine go off lay we supplement with hers and vice versa
keeper of goats, sheep, pigs, ducks, chickens, turkeys, dogs, cats, goldfish and children, just don't ask me which is the most work!

Possum

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Somerset
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2013, 12:25:26 pm »
Yup, they got what they deserved!

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2013, 03:58:45 am »
Clearly not stupid people, just deliberately deceptive. Saying they didn't realise they were doing anything wrong is just a downright lie. They were not fined enough in my opinion. Don't believe the bit about the fox worrying either. They were spotted after a surge in egg production so they conceived a scam and hoped to hide it amongst their usual eggs -which can't be very good or they would have been spotted immediately! Total disgrace and the genuine garden gate sellers may now suffer.

Castle Farm

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Hereford/Powys Border. near Hay-on-Wye
    • castlefarmeggs
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2013, 07:16:12 am »
Good for them.

At least there was no horse meat involved or unfertile eggs from ebay.

Eggs is eggs and pensions are not alot :roflanim:
Traditional Utility Breed Hatching Eggs sent next day delivery. Pure bred Llyen Sheep.
www.castlefarmeggs.co.uk  http://www.facebook.com/pages/Utility-Poultry-Keepers/231571570247281

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2013, 08:41:33 am »
Good for them.

'Eggs are eggs' may be one thing but the life of the hen from free range to battery is certainly NOT the same!
On that principle alone I will not buy battery eggs

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2013, 09:01:58 am »
Good for them.

No, bad for them, cheating their neighbours and townsfolk out of hard earned pensions of their own, when they buy these eggs for more than Tesco price thinking that they are supporting a better life for the hens. Shame on them, especially as it will make people think othe honest schemes are doing the same.

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2013, 09:20:02 am »
Not good at all!! People were making the choice to buy responsibly and ethically and this pair were cheating them and abusing their moral commitment to not buy caged produced eggs!  Exactly the same as duping the public into believing that horsemeat was beef  >:(
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

graham-j

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Canterbury Kent
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2013, 11:14:33 am »
Hi,if my maths are correct they made £900 profit on there 12000 eggs and they were fined £600 and paid costs of £1,178

There fine equates to 67% of there profit and if you include the costs 230%

Tesco's made £3.8bn last year so let ad those % to there profit and imagine they had been had been fined for misleading the public over the horse meat scandal.

They would have to pay a £2.4bn fine and including costs that would equate to £8.28bn,I can't see that happening some how.

The pensioners should have blamed some egg farm obscure  in Romania.

Graham.
Graham.

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2013, 10:58:17 pm »

'Eggs are eggs' may be one thing but the life of the hen from free range to battery is certainly NOT the same!
On that principle alone I will not buy battery eggs

we refuse to buy battery eggs but we are also aware that the eggs in the pasta, mayonaise and eveything else we buy is probably from a battery hen.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS